cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREAKING - @Facebook faces breakup demand by Federal Trade Commission

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

qxovhu25908s.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
98 REPLIES 98

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

Considering that this post was made on Facebook's Oculus Forum, you are
at least a little bothered with Facebook and Oculus. It's hard to get
away from Facebook and Oculus right? Resistance is futile, my friend.

Nah,
If I still was bothered about Oculus and Facebook, I would have
purchased the Quest 2 and signed up to a Facebook account. I have done
neither and as usual you have only taken a small part of
what I actually wrote. It's quite clear my main
concern was about PC -VR content in the future, something I think you have also expressed concern about at times.
I mean, will you be happy in the future, if all Oculus Facebook does is bring out a shit load of Mobile VR and PC -VR content dries up? That's what my post was about my friend, and not just the one liner you choose to quote me on.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@Zenbane
"The pandemic exists in both the past and present, and the "possible actions" that you predict about Facebook have already played out; thus we can see that the possibilities you presented are false."

Did you even read it.
a description of possible actions or events in the " future "

Really ... My God Zenbane's Time Machine Works !!

You believe the pandemic exists only in the future? Sorry, but no. The pandemic started to impact America around February/March of this year. That is the past. And it continues to impact America today, which is the present.

Here in America, we are approved for the vaccine and have already begun applying it. So we are moving towards the hopeful end of the pandemic.

Are you saying that there is going to be another pandemic that is different from the current one? My God your Time Machine works??

So unless you're talking about a brand new pandemic, then my point still holds true. The Covid19 pandemic exists in the past and present. And we can see that your "scenario" where this pandemic negatively impacting Facebook's Ad Revenue turned out to be 100% false.

Facebook's Ad Revenue GREW during the Covid19 Pandemic. I'm not referring to any future fictitious pandemic, only the current factual one.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
Nah,
purchased the Quest 2 and signed up to a Facebook account.

Nah, that would just be "more bothered about Oculus and Facebook." As it stands now, as an active member of the Facebook Oculus forum, you are bothered about Oculus and Facebook. Just because you are not MORE bothered to buy MORE products doesn't negate the adequate amount of bothered you currently maintain.
 🙂 

RedRizla said:

I mean, will you be happy in the future, if all Oculus Facebook does is bring out a shit load of Mobile VR and PC -VR content dries up? 

Your question implies that PCVR relies solely on Facebook and Oculus. While you may believe that to be true, I do not. Although, I do think that other studios need to step up more. Preferably sooner rather than later.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I predict Facebook investing more in VR, in the event that Whatsapp and Instagram get sold off.
VR may be seen by Facebook as safer ground for expansion as it's harder to argue it's been anti-competitive in the same way that the social network buy-ups were.

Account requirements may change though and I'd be good with that 🙂

As far as the EU laws are concerned, UK customers may lose out if Facebook reduce warranty periods from 2 to 1 year as a result. Can't see any other issues.

Here in the UK, where we probably have the best consumer protection in the world, you actually have by law up to 6 years guarantee on expensive items under the Sale Of Goods Act if I'm remembering correctly.

edmg
Trustee

Zenbane said:

I doubt that the Account Requirements will change at all. Facebook will just implement a new policy that allows users to create a FB account that is flagged 'for VR only' (or something similar), in order to keep social media features segmented.

That was all they needed to do in the first place, and all the problems would have gone away.

Except, I guess, for the most rabid anti-Facebookers who didn't understand that Oculus was really Facebook in disguise.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:
Nah,
purchased the Quest 2 and signed up to a Facebook account.

Nah, that would just be "more bothered about Oculus and Facebook." As it stands now, as an active member of the Facebook Oculus forum, you are bothered about Oculus and Facebook. Just because you are not MORE bothered to buy MORE products doesn't negate the adequate amount of bothered you currently maintain.
 🙂 

When I became a member of this forum, there was talk that Oculus VR
and Facebook would always remain separate. This is nothing more than a
forum from yesteryear. You
don't require a Facebook account to login into this forum, just like
you don't require a Facebook account until 2023 to use an old Oculus VR
headset if you already had an Oculus account.
I'm not sure
why writing on an old Oculus forum from yesteryear means I'm still
interested in Oculus and Facebook. I'm interested in VR and this forum
talks about other VR headsets like the HP -G2, Valve index etc. If I was
interested in Oculus and Facebook then I would have the new Oculus Quest
2 and a Facebook account, it's that simple, really.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
and Facebook would always remain separate. 

Unofficial talk, rumors, and speculation. Facebook never said that themselves, and we should all understand how an "acquisition" works. Facebook has always made their intent very clear, which is actually one of the main reasons I chose Oculus over HTC at that time.

When I became a member of this forum, it was because I decided to invest fully in to Facebook's VR ecosystem. I knew full well that Facebook would have total control over Oculus. That's what brought me here to begin with. I'm not sure why others believed the polar opposite of that Facebook/Oculus situation.

Facebook-Oculus is an acquisition, not a Partnership. Huge difference.

I'm not sure why writing on an old Oculus forum from yesteryear means I'm still interested in Oculus and Facebook. 

This is not an old Oculus forum from yesteryear, this is an Official Facebook Forum, check the wording at the bottom:

g0vhdqddcmlg.png

Anyone actively posting on Facebook's official Oculus forum is, by default interested in Oculus and Facebook. Maybe the degree to which they are interested varies. But the interest exists nonetheless.

edmg said:
Except, I guess, for the most rabid anti-Facebookers who didn't understand that Oculus was really Facebook in disguise.

Very well stated!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:
and Facebook would always remain separate. 

Unofficial talk, rumors, and speculation. Facebook never said that themselves, and we should all understand how an "acquisition" works. Facebook has always made their intent very clear, which is actually one of the main reasons I chose Oculus over HTC at that time.

That's why I said: "When I became a member of this forum, there was talk
that Oculus VR

and Facebook would always remain separate". I never stated that Facebook
said this themselves. I guess I was taken in by the small talk
but I hope I've learnt a lesson and won't be so easily taken in next
time. I'm only here to talk about other VR headsets now and PC -VR
content. I don't involve myself with Quest 2 threads anymore.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
That's why I said: "When I became a member of this forum, there was talk
that Oculus VR

and Facebook would always remain separate". I never stated that Facebook
said this themselves. I guess I was taken in by the small talk
but I hope I've learnt a lesson and won't be so easily taken in next
time. I'm only here to talk about other VR headsets now and PC -VR
content. I don't involve myself with Quest 2 threads anymore.

Fair enough. The only feedback I'm providing is that it doesn't really align to have enough interest to remain active on Facebook's Oculus forum while also making posts that you can't be bothered with Facebook and Oculus.

You know who truly can't be bothered with Facebook and Oculus? People who never post on a Facebook or Oculus platform.

I can't be bothered with r/Vive. So I've literally never posted there. 

snowdog said:

I predict Facebook investing more in VR, in the event that Whatsapp and Instagram get sold off.
VR may be seen by Facebook as safer ground for expansion as it's harder to argue it's been anti-competitive in the same way that the social network buy-ups were.

Account requirements may change though and I'd be good with that 🙂

As far as the EU laws are concerned, UK customers may lose out if Facebook reduce warranty periods from 2 to 1 year as a result. Can't see any other issues.

Here in the UK, where we probably have the best consumer protection in the world, you actually have by law up to 6 years guarantee on expensive items under the Sale Of Goods Act if I'm remembering correctly.

The UK never signed up to the EU directive for the sale of goods including the 2 year warranty thing because they decided that they have a more robust set of laws in place... most retailers and manufacturers though just adopted the 2 year warranty period for the UK as it makes things simpler for everyone.

The UK has always had a 1 year minimum warranty requirement and a 6 year period whereby the item can be returned if it can be demonstrated that it had a defect at the time of sale. That demonstration usually has to be pursued legally though and it's not something that is often accepted by the retailer/manufacturer.

Facebook could have sold UK headsets limited to 1 year warranties from the start. Warranties and guarantees are very different though, warranties include any faults that develop during the warranty period.