cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREAKING - @Facebook faces breakup demand by Federal Trade Commission

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

qxovhu25908s.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
98 REPLIES 98

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:
That's why I said: "When I became a member of this forum, there was talk
that Oculus VR

and Facebook would always remain separate". I never stated that Facebook
said this themselves. I guess I was taken in by the small talk
but I hope I've learnt a lesson and won't be so easily taken in next
time. I'm only here to talk about other VR headsets now and PC -VR
content. I don't involve myself with Quest 2 threads anymore.

You know who truly can't be bothered with Facebook and Oculus? People who never post on a Facebook or Oculus platform.

I can't be bothered with r/Vive. So I've literally never posted there. 

I think it all depends what a forum allows you to talk about, really. If
this forum didn't allow you to talk about other VR headsets or PC -VR
content, then I would have to go elsewhere. I had hoped that HP would
have had a forum of their own so that like-minded people could talk about the HP -G2, which I spoke about in the HP -G2
thread.
I haven't really looked elsewhere because this forum
has allowed us to talk about VR and even non VR related subjects. Just out of out of interest though, do you know of any other forums that allow people to talk about different VR headsets and PC
-VR content? I guess I could join that one if it's active enough.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:
That's why I said: "When I became a member of this forum, there was talk
that Oculus VR

and Facebook would always remain separate". I never stated that Facebook
said this themselves. I guess I was taken in by the small talk
but I hope I've learnt a lesson and won't be so easily taken in next
time. I'm only here to talk about other VR headsets now and PC -VR
content. I don't involve myself with Quest 2 threads anymore.

You know who truly can't be bothered with Facebook and Oculus? People who never post on a Facebook or Oculus platform.

I can't be bothered with r/Vive. So I've literally never posted there. 

content, then I would have to go elsewhere. I had hoped that HP would
have had a forum of their own so that like-minded people could talk about the HP -G2, which I spoke about in the HP -G2
thread.
I haven't really looked elsewhere because this forum
has allowed us to talk about VR and even non VR related subjects. Just out of out of interest though, do you know of any other forums that allow people to talk about different VR headsets and PC
-VR content? I guess I could join that one if it's active enough.

Steam has some somewhat active VR forums.
It is a shame HP does not provide community forums for the Reverb, they could sure use one. Lots of folks need some good help at times getting everything sorted running the Reverb with both WMR and Steam VR.
There are huge threads on this over on some of the flight sim forums.

My personal view...

Talking about other manufacturers headsets on the Oculus forum is ok with me.
Criticizing Oculus/Facebook if you're an Oculus user is a good thing and something to be encouraged, certainly not disparaged in any way.

Someone coming to this forum to criticize Oculus/Facebook if they're not interested in using the headsets is not great, but it's something that still happens persistently with some people (not you @RedRizla).

Some people just search out every negative post to add to, which, if they're not Oculus users, at some point you have to ask, when does it become plain trolling.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

OmegaM4N said:

You must have missed the small print......

Facebook to move all UK users onto US agreements.

lol

OK I'm confused... your post was stating that Facebook are having a breakdown because they're moving UK users to US rules. My point was that yeah, it's an obvious move, not really a breakdown.

If your point was that the UK isn't the US, well yeah but that isn't really the point.. it's just that Facebook have a choice, have the UK abide by the rules that Facebook have set up for the EU which have within them specific requirement shaped by EU law... or have the UK abide by rules that are the same as those that have been set up for the US.

Facebook have decided to do the latter for the reason (I assume) that it saves them setting up UK specific rules which would only be necessary if the UK had specific laws that would require specific rules.

We are still not grasping this, why would FB try and move UK users to US rules when the UK already has their own rules and privacy law that they abide by already, and have done so even while they were part of the EU, and just because the UK has broken away from the single market don't mean they are now some small lawless country from the mad max movies who need a new American sherrif to protect them, they have had their own rules and laws to abide by just like the EU and America have, so someone pop into FB headquarters and let FB know that the UK has been around a long time, long before the EU and long before America, and let them know the UK will be fine and not to worry about them, oh and remind our American overlords that the Uk is not just one country. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
content, then I would have to go elsewhere. 

I don't think this forum needs to enforce any such rules. We should be able to enforce our own rules upon ourselves, right? If someone feels that they have no interest in Facebook and Oculus, then there are plenty of other forums across the Internet that allow discussion about VR. But if you're going to post consistently on a Facebook and Oculus Forum, then it doesn't make sense to say, on that very forum, that you can't be bothered with Facebook and Oculus.

Simply put, if you can't be bothered with Facebook and Oculus then you wouldn't be here, with Facebook and Oculus. 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:

I predict Facebook investing more in VR, in the event that Whatsapp and Instagram get sold off.
VR may be seen by Facebook as safer ground for expansion as it's harder to argue it's been anti-competitive in the same way that the social network buy-ups were.

Account requirements may change though and I'd be good with that 🙂

As far as the EU laws are concerned, UK customers may lose out if Facebook reduce warranty periods from 2 to 1 year as a result. Can't see any other issues.

Here in the UK, where we probably have the best consumer protection in the world, you actually have by law up to 6 years guarantee on expensive items under the Sale Of Goods Act if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeap, but only 5 years in Scotland as the extra year was not needed due to the national diet of deep fried mars bars and Irn bru for tea everyday. lol

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:
We are still not grasping this, why would FB try and move UK users to US rules when the UK already has their own rules and privacy law that they abide by already, and have done so even while they were part of the EU, and just because the UK has broken away from the single market don't mean they are now some small lawless country from the mad max movies who need a new American sherrif to protect them, they have had their own rules and laws to abide by just like the EU and America have, so someone pop into FB headquarters and let FB know that the UK has been around a long time, long before the EU and long before America, and let them know the UK will be fine and not to worry about them. lol

None of that applies to what is actually being discussed. Facebook is a U.S. company, and has Terms of Service specific to the U.S. What is being discussed, is that, absent the EU, anyone from the UK can be presented with the U.S. ToS in order to use Facebook products and services.

This is about Facebook's intellectual property, and the contracts consumers engage in to acquire them.

Everything you keep going on about is specific to the rights of UK citizens; but this topic is about the terms of use for Facebook's products and services.

The analogy about mad max and someone needing protection literally makes no sense in the context of the actual situation. None of this is about protecting UK citizens. It's all about what UK citizens must agree to if they want to use a Facebook Product or Service.

Although, perhaps in a stunning twist of irony, I did just mad max this topic, since it clearly needed saving from some really bad interpretations of what's actually transpiring!
 😛 

"why would FB try and move UK users to US rules when the UK already has their own rules "

I don't think you realize what is actually being "moved."

OmegaM4N said:

OmegaM4N said:

You must have missed the small print......

Facebook to move all UK users onto US agreements.

lol

OK I'm confused... your post was stating that Facebook are having a breakdown because they're moving UK users to US rules. My point was that yeah, it's an obvious move, not really a breakdown.

If your point was that the UK isn't the US, well yeah but that isn't really the point.. it's just that Facebook have a choice, have the UK abide by the rules that Facebook have set up for the EU which have within them specific requirement shaped by EU law... or have the UK abide by rules that are the same as those that have been set up for the US.

Facebook have decided to do the latter for the reason (I assume) that it saves them setting up UK specific rules which would only be necessary if the UK had specific laws that would require specific rules.

We are still not grasping this, why would FB try and move UK users to US rules when the UK already has their own rules and privacy law that they abide by already, and have done so even while they were part of the EU, and just because the UK has broken away from the single market don't mean they are now some small lawless country from the mad max movies who need a new American sherrif to protect them, they have had their own rules and laws to abide by just like the EU and America have, so someone pop into FB headquarters and let FB know that the UK has been around a long time, long before the EU and long before America, and let them know the UK will be fine and not to worry about them, oh and remind our American overlords that the Uk is not just one country. lol

Facebook can no longer apply their EU rules to the UK... this is about Facebook's rules, Facebook's T's and C's... so they either rewrite their rules specificly for the UK, or they say that those would effectively be the same as their US rules.

You keep talking about UK laws but this is about company rules, its T's and C's... every company has to have them and Facebook's have to change for the UK.

Other companies will have to change theirs too and other companies will probably do the same thing and say that their UK rules will be the same as their US rules.

UK GDPR has to be followed by the companies regardless but that's not what we're talking about here, we're talking about the company rules.

Maybe if you worked for any of these companies, you'd recommend writing a set of rules specific to each and every country, and that would keep you in employment for sure, but that's not how it works.

We're not talking about the UK being lawless or what its history is... this whole story is about company rules which have to either be rewritten because of all the EU references or transferred to another set of existing rules that are equivelent.

Edit: sorry @Zenbane I didn't read your post before replying, could have saved myself 5 minutes.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^Ok at this stage i can't be bothered to write another page trying to explain this, so let us just wait for the inevitable challenged in court to this. 😉

OmegaM4N said:

^^Ok at this stage i can't be bothered to write another page trying to explain this, so let us just wait for the inevitable challenged in court to this. 😉

The court action will be about the anti-competitive nature of the Whatsapp and Instagram acquisitions, which is what kevin started the thread about.
The story you posted from the BBC is about Facebook's rules and T's & C's which have to change for the UK. Two very different stories, one involves the courts, the other doesn't, nor does it involve a breakdown!