cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad vision

BruceCarmel
Explorer

I purchased a Meta Quest 3. I use progressive (bifocal) glasses and single vision computer glasses and close/far contact lenses. With all these, images on the Meta Quest 3 are totally or partially  blurred. At least the progressive lenses have one rectangle in sharp focus. There are times when I need to read something in the physical world say, to find a web password, and the camera or focus make that impossible with the Quest on.  I ordered lens inserts but I will not receive them for weeks and I don’t think they will solve all problems..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @BruceCarmel , yes,  the whole of the image in VR headsets is a fixed focal length for distance viewing, so if you wear glasses that have a varying focus, parts of the view will be blurred.

Lens inserts should solve the problem, you would get inserts with whatever prescription you have for distance viewing. Then, when you take the headset off, you're left with whatever vision you have for viewing close up, either your uncorrected vision's ok for that, or you'd have to put on reading/varifocal glasses when you take the headset off.

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming, Corsair H150i Capellix, 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5, Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4TB Samsung 870 , 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 2, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, Quest, 2, 3, Pro

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @BruceCarmel , yes,  the whole of the image in VR headsets is a fixed focal length for distance viewing, so if you wear glasses that have a varying focus, parts of the view will be blurred.

Lens inserts should solve the problem, you would get inserts with whatever prescription you have for distance viewing. Then, when you take the headset off, you're left with whatever vision you have for viewing close up, either your uncorrected vision's ok for that, or you'd have to put on reading/varifocal glasses when you take the headset off.

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming, Corsair H150i Capellix, 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5, Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4TB Samsung 870 , 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 2, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, Quest, 2, 3, Pro

I received my lens inserts!  To get the best vision I had to readjust the Quest straps. (The key adjustment turned out to be the headset height.)  Adjusted, now I have great vision, and less motion discomfort.  I retried my progressive bifocal glasses and found that my Quest vision was vastly improved. I criticize the Quest instructions for not being clear on how to adjust.  I wrongly blamed my being out-of-focus vision on my glasses. 

Glad the lenses work ok. Glasses are fine in the Quest if they're single vision distance glasses.

But for anyone like yourself, who needs glasses for both distance and for reading, it gets to be a bit of a nuisance if you have to wear one pair in the headset and then a different pair when you take it off... especially if you're doing a task that needs the headset off a lot!

I'm an older gent and my vision is getting quite fixed so I'm not far off needing varifocals. I'll probably invest in some lenses for the headset at some point. I also find the Quest 3 a little narrower than the Quest 2 so with my big head, my glasses get pressed into my temples a bit.

I'm on the lookout for a slightly wider facial interface... if anyone has found a good one, let me know!