cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be Aware - VRCover USB C cable - not compatible with USB Gen USB3.2 Gen2*2 ports. possible solution

jucca_vtr
Protege

Hi, recently bought Asus Prime Z690 MoBo, which have USB3.2 Gen2*2 USB C port, and have problems connecting it to my Quest. After a month of troubleshooting with VRCover support and Quest, they (VRCover), responded me, that their USB cable is NOT COMPATIBLE with newest USB3.2 Gen2x2 ports.

They offered me refund, but I found a way to connect it.

Q2 must be powered off. PC also. Than first I turn on the Q2, then the PC, and finnaly then, and only then when Windows are booting, it asks me to allow the connection.

If I unplug USB when PC is working, have to remove the USB 3 driver completely. Restart the PC, And repeat the process.

It's pain, but it works. Almost evetime. Almost.

Also just connecting Q2 when windows are running, does nothing. Tried also with USB C to USB A adapter, but it won't detect it at all.

This is Vrcover offical response:

Thank you for your patience while our team looked into your case. 

We've received a follow-up from them. Based on the specs of your motherboard, they've determined that the issue is caused by port incompatibility. You have a USB3.2 Gen2*2 port which does not work with our cable as it is designed to be used with devices that support USB3.2 Gen 2 (see our FAQ) and Gen 1 only.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jucca_vtr
Protege

Finnaly got the adapter from Amazon. Now it works flawlessly. Measuring 2.5Gbs

If anyone have problems with connecting to USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 his VRCover USB cable, this is the solution. Of course, your MoBo needs Etype USB header. Mostly all new MoBos come with those. 

EType header to USB 3.2 Gen 2 PCIe cable.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/aw/d/B07F233Q6Z/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20220702_133952.jpg

20220702_134039.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@jucca_vtr  Good information, thanks for sharing this.  So I guess even the official oculus link cable would not work properly with the new usb 3.2 gen 2x2 ports.  I googled your motherboard and see that it seems to only have only one of these gen 2x2 ports and it has other's that are gen 2, including at least one of those being a type-c port.  Have you tried using these ports?  Just a thought.

I have this VR cover Link cable and it works fine with my z390 MB usb3.1 gen 2 type-c port.  I don't think that there is any difference between usb 3.1 gen2 and usb 3.2 gen 2, just a name change to make thing more difficult for all of us, lol!  In any case usb 3.2 gen 2 are supposed to be backward compatible to other usb2/3.  Maybe not gen 2x2 for some reason.  Might be a device specific thing or something.

It may also be worth contacting your MB support and see if they can help.  Might be something you need to setup in your bios.

In any case, it sounds like you have found a solution but it sounds pretty painful.  Might be a good time to get yourself an inexpensive wifi6 router and go with Air Link.  That's what I've done and now all my Link cables are collecting dust, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

jucca_vtr
Protege

There's difference between Gen 2 and Gen 2x2

Gen 2 is 10Gbits

Gen 2x2 is 20Gbits

I only have USB C as Gen 2x2

And USB A as Gen 2. But, it won't work with adapter. 

I also have WiFi 6 Router, AirLink, but I'm not satisfied with it. As I play only sim racing games, need better and faster connection. Playable only with low settings. As I have good gaming PC, want to max the settings out 👍

It should be back-compatible, but, sadly, it's not.

Screenshot_20220622-134613_Gmail.jpg

@jucca_vtr  OK, I guess gen2x2 is not backward compatible and adapters are always a bit hit and miss.  Google shows that the gen 2x2 is the first usb not to conform to usb compatibility standards.  Anyway, your MB specs do show another type c usb 3.2 gen 1 port (#11 on your pic) but maybe this is not physically available?

If I were you I'd return the VR cover cable for a refund and get yourself a powered link cable from Amazon.  This cable uses your Q2 charger/cable to maintain your headset battery at appox 80% for like forever.  I bought one of these 4 months ago and it works great connected to any of my usb3.1 gen1 type a ports and the performance is the same as with my VR cover and official link cable (~2.5Gbps usb speed test).  This is by far my favourite Link cable because it makes Q2 battery management problems a thing of the past (plus it's less expensive as well).  If you buy it from Amazon it's easy to return if it does not work well for you.  Here's a link to the one I bought;

https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Separate-Charging-Ultra-Durable-Accessories/dp/B09TN25765

As far a Air Link goes, I don't really notice any significant differences with all my flight and racing sims except with Link distant objects are a bit clearer and maybe a few less artifacts.  I think my rtx3090 helps a bit here.  However if I was only to use sims (probably only about 30% of my usage) I'd probably just use this Link cable. 

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Thanks for the answer and the links.

Return is not the option, as postal fees from Croatia almost cost the price of cable 🙂

Yes, I saw that port 11 too, but need to find this adapter, as, of course, it's not provided by Asus. Maybe cheaper solution of buying PCIE card. 

USB type E header to female USB type C extension cable - China STC Electronic(Ho.png

If not, that Amazon cable sounds good too. Thanks

I getting problems with Airlink, it shows it's connected to 1200Mbits, but in reality, struggles even with low to medium settings.

jucca_vtr
Protege

Finnaly got the adapter from Amazon. Now it works flawlessly. Measuring 2.5Gbs

If anyone have problems with connecting to USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 his VRCover USB cable, this is the solution. Of course, your MoBo needs Etype USB header. Mostly all new MoBos come with those. 

EType header to USB 3.2 Gen 2 PCIe cable.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/aw/d/B07F233Q6Z/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20220702_133952.jpg

20220702_134039.jpg