cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Dropping USB connection with Inateck PCI-E

SolidSTi
Sightseer
Recently I have been having trouble with my USB 3.0 connections. They sporadically drop out, then reconnect immediately. This happens about 15-20 minutes into gameplay. Pretty annoying, since the game cannot just resume. You are required to start over. Windows makes the usb disconnected, then reconnected audio notification as  well.

Windows 10 64-bit
I am using the inateck pci-e card that the oculus rift website recommended. http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Connector-Controller-Internal/dp/B00FPIMJEW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redi...

I've also updated to the latest drivers from the Inateck website. Anyone else ever experience this?
30 REPLIES 30

flanX
Honored Guest
I have the same card with the same issue. I had to plug my external hdd's into the card and run the Rift and sensor off my mobo ports instead to get a solid connection. I'm running Windows 7. Another strange occurrence was when I plug the headset into the card, Windows detects the headset but cannot install the drivers. It detected the sensor and installed the drivers no problem, just not the headset. Don't know if anyone else has had this issue.

Phill3D
Honored Guest
I also have the same INATECK card with windows 10 64bit, drops out about 60seconds into EVE. Re-seated everything still the same. Cant use onboard USB3 as its the asmedia ASUS mobo chipset, so stuck (although will try this next). Had CV1 for half a week still not actually played anything - frustrating. I also had the driver install issue on the rift audio but after a couple of reboots it had installed ok and that works. 

weasel47
Heroic Explorer
I have that card and I have an issue where I have to restart my computer twice before it starts working. It sometimes cuts out after that, too.
My monitor has a small USB 3 hub built in, which I have connected to the card, maybe I should try unplugging that. The Rift is not going through that. That hub also doesn't work when the Rift doesn't.

RobHermans
Superstar
I don't have my Rift yet, so I can't test whether the Inateck card will work as expected. However, I have read that some users were able to resolve disconnection problems by ensuring that the power options in the OS were not powering down any USB devices.

Phill3D
Honored Guest
I have a semi workaround for me, left the sensor in the INATECK usb 3 but moved the Rift to my onboard X79  usb 2. So far ok (15mins) which would have shown the problem by now. The audio is fine and the rift is fine so the rift itself can be usb 2 powered. In the oculus devices sensor and headset are green

H4TE
Expert Protege
Have you guys checked if there is any kind of power saving going on which may interfere?

RobHermans
Superstar

hatec0re said:

Have you guys checked if there is any kind of power saving going on which may interfere?

I believe that was the point of my previous post...or did you somehow miss my post? :confused: 

Maxxgold
Rising Star
Uninstall the Inateck drivers and reinstall the windows drivers, problem solved. I updated to the new drivers and it removed the warnings but then I started getting the disconnects. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Windows drivers and now it works perfectly again. The warnings are now back but the Windows drivers work flawlessly.

H4TE
Expert Protege

hatec0re said:

I believe that was the point of my previous post...or did you somehow miss my post? :confused: 

I did not miss it, i just skipped it after the reading the first sentence as i were in my bed already (at least in my head).

weasel47
Heroic Explorer

weasel47 said:

I have that card and I have an issue where I have to restart my computer twice before it starts working. It sometimes cuts out after that, too.

My monitor has a small USB 3 hub built in, which I have connected to the card, maybe I should try unplugging that. The Rift is not going through that. That hub also doesn't work when the Rift doesn't.

Quoting my earlier post to follow up and say:
I disconnected my monitor's hub from the Inateck card (moved it to another USB 3 slot) and things seem to be better now.  Maybe it was drawing too much power?  If that was the problem, I hope I can still handle a second Oculus sensor camera when Touch comes along.

Edit: I spoke too soon.  I jinxed myself.
Before, I was having USB connection issues when I first started up.  Now it's fine at first, but something is happening (I'm not certain that it's a USB issue, but it could be) after a few minutes and disconnecting the HMD briefly.  https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33938/rift-turning-off-after-about-30-40-mins-of-play

Edit again: It's possible that the USB extension (the one recommended by Cyber) is to blame for my new issues.  I removed it and things have been ok so far.