cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Dropping USB connection with Inateck PCI-E

SolidSTi
Sightseer
Recently I have been having trouble with my USB 3.0 connections. They sporadically drop out, then reconnect immediately. This happens about 15-20 minutes into gameplay. Pretty annoying, since the game cannot just resume. You are required to start over. Windows makes the usb disconnected, then reconnected audio notification as  well.

Windows 10 64-bit
I am using the inateck pci-e card that the oculus rift website recommended. http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Connector-Controller-Internal/dp/B00FPIMJEW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redi...

I've also updated to the latest drivers from the Inateck website. Anyone else ever experience this?
30 REPLIES 30

tommet
Expert Protege

I've also updated to the latest drivers from the Inateck website. Anyone else ever experience this?

Yep.  I was running an Alienware Aurora R3 with an i7 2600 and Window 7.  The Rift could not maintain the connection.  However mine was dropping out after just a few minutes and the driver would freak out and start reporting generic USB problems.  Pity, the PC was more than fast enough to handle the rift.  I know the PS wasn't an issue - it was rated at 825W, and the PC had been stable as a rock till the rift showed up.

I suspect it was something due to the MB system bus.

Ultimately, my kid got a new computer as I built a new PC (6700k, windows 10) specifically for the rift and have used the onboard USB ports with no issues. 

I just *today* pulled that Oculus recommended inatek card out of my old PC because I need a few more USB ports and although I have some free headers on the MB - well - that card is on hand.  So far, the default Windows 10 drivers have had zero issues with that inatek card.  But I'm not quite ready to completely trust it yet.

Hanover
Rising Star
I actually installed the Windows 7 drivers and that fixed everything for me...even though I am using Windows 10.  I believe their drivers have some sort of power management...

tommet
Expert Protege
Can you give a link to the driver you installed?  It might help someone down the road.  I used the one I found on their web page, and it gave me nothing but problems.

Hanover
Rising Star
I've been trying, but it keeps saying my posting needs to be approved whenever I include the URL. I just used the Windows 7 "Latest" driver from the page on the inateck web site. After you download it, you have to run the "Flusbxxx.msi" to start the installation.  The card will then appear as an "Inateck" card rather than just the generic one that the Windows 10 legacy driver reports it as.

lobotimer
Honored Guest
I was using my only two motherboard USB 3.0 ports for the first few weeks of using my Rift. I needed more ports so I bought the Inatech. When I installed the Inatech card, I inserted the driver disk right away and installed the drivers. I then started to have the issue of dropping the usb connection every few minutes. After I removed the Inatech drivers and just used the Windows default drivers, I have not had a disconnect yet.

Hanover
Rising Star

tommet said:

Can you give a link to the driver you installed?  It might help someone down the road.  I used the one I found on their web page, and it gave me nothing but problems.

It was from this link: 

http://www.inateck.com//down.hm?k=9665879cc9fc080fe892585b29aa787b

Then I launched the FLUSB3.0-3.5.196,0.x64msi installer file.  Suddenly my card was recognized as an actual Inateck card and not the generic card the Windows 10 drivers declare it as.  The only time I've lost the USB connection now is when my computer went into hi

Hanover
Rising Star

tommet said:

It was from this link: 

http://www.inateck.com//down.hm?k=9665879cc9fc080fe892585b29aa787b

Then I launched the FLUSB3.0-3.5.196,0.x64msi installer file.  Suddenly my card was recognized as an actual Inateck card and not the generic card the Windows 10 drivers declare it as.  The only time I've lost the USB connection now is when my computer went into hi

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
Turn off the power saving option with the Sensor in device manager
Disable some of the other usb ports.

Elunedra
Protege
I'll join the club of poeple who got this problem

stevew46
Honored Guest
I'll join the club too