cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all Sculptors

I've been spending a lot of time in Medium lately, trying to add some statues to my project. I've been putting off this part of the project because I'm just not a good sculptor. So here are my efforts.... am in the middle of the main and it's taking ages. I really envy some of the speed sculptors out there.

Test1.jpg

Speaking of sculptors out there, we used to have a lot of skilled members out there.... where are you? still creating? would love to see what you're working on and maybe get some tips.

11 REPLIES 11

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

That horse does look awesome - must have taken ages to model. I wish I had more time for such creative endeavours, but right now it's hard just to find time to be in VR and each day my backlog isn't getting smaller 🙂 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Nice work Daft! Sadly, my artistry skills reside only in 3 areas, and Drawing/Painting/Sculpting isn't one of them:

• Music (guitarist)
  • Software Development (writing code)
  • Trash talking (forum warrioring, lol?)

I've always been jealous of people who can create visually stunning works of art. Heck, even my 6 year old son is a better drawer than me! lol

I do see quite a bit of VR Artists on the Facebook Groups (especially Horizon). But it would be nice to see more of that activity on this forum like in the old days.

Thanks Rune mate, I'm in awe of the people we used to have here posting examples of real creative stuff. At the end of the day I'm really just copying something rather than creating... and you're absolutely right, it's taking an age to do. Touch and go whether I improve enough for it to become a fun experience!!

Cheers Zen, I've got 4 statues to do and it's painful.

Back when Medium had official forum support, there were some prolific artists posting a lot here. I'm sure they're still creating... would love to see what they've been up to.

Maybe I can organise a competition or something, but now that this is adobe, it may be difficult to get Oculus involved with that sort of thing. Am open to ideas.

Maybe a create your own avatar day where your avatar has to be a self-sculpt... and everyone has to have a go regardless of where your skill resides!

Nekto2
Superstar

May be better to move from "General" to "Showcase" ?

There are not many post lately and it will not get lost in posts.

It's hard to gather those people while they left. Need to post in those discord or groups they are now it.

Thanks Nekto but I'll keep it here, showcase is really meant to show what software is on the horizon. This post is kind of intended to encourage people to get involved as well as those who are already. The forum isn't such a bad place for that kind of thing 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Nice work on that horse! I loved Medium when I first got it, but haven't touched it in a long time. Have you switched over to the Adobe version, or have you stuck with the old Oculus build? I haven't committed yet, because I don't trust Adobe not to force us into a paid subscription at some point.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

I'm still using the Oculus version. Adobe added a few things in the 2.4 release last August but it didn't seem like anything major and I'm not sure there's been another update since. I'm sure there was a faster update cycle when it was Oculus. Like you, I'm also a bit weary of payment plans that could be coming... I think they'd have to add some very useful stuff if that's what the future holds..

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Not much of an artist, personally. Still, looks impressive.

And yeah, I too am hesitant to buy software that will then demand a monthly fee to use. It's why I abandoned Microsoft Office years back in favor of Open Office. An MMO that I know I'll probably spend hundreds of hours (at least) in? Sure. But creation tools? That's a harder sell for me.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.