cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an Oculus Business version headset be converted to a Consumer version?

havenocat3
Explorer

My school has a set of 15 brand new Oculus 2 Business devices that are in operable because there is no apps or app store on them, and now they are no longer supported. Since they have exactly the same hardware as a consumer version, is it possible to install the Consumer OS to convert it?  How would we do that? 

Here is what is displayed in the Business Version Headset

Business Oculus in About in ADMIN view (seen from inside headset)

Version 29.0.0.309.370.346330959

Runtime version 29.0.0.319.370.348573960

OS version user-24721951100100000

We have a consumer headset and this is what is displayed regarding the OS (seen from inside headset)

Software Update System Version 373144008900000 (no updates available)

Version 43.0.0.178.120.389405224

Runtime Version 43.0.0.178.120.389406401

OS version user-37314400808900000

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kencessna
Protege

Hi havenocat3,

I just did it for ours and it works this way:

On your Quest:

- hold power button and volume down until logo appears

- factory reset

- choose sideload update

- connect to pc

On your computer:

- install ADB Bridge

- download https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-XwU2uFh1O2MytV2w_kjhrBvoavq6kRy/view?usp=sharing

- don`t unzip it, just save it somewhere

- open console and type

- cd C:\PATH_TO_YOUR_ANDROID_FOLDER\Android\Sdk\platform-tools

- adb.exe

- adb sideload C:\PATH_TO_YOUR_ZIP

Keep in mind you`ll need an android device with the oculus app and you`ll have to do it for every headset!

Cheers, Can

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

kojack
MVP
MVP

A search on reddit (well, google, but it showed a reddit link) shows that apparently contacting oculus support (use the ticket system) can get a business quest 2 converted to consumer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/sdjfhj/how_to_remove_device_from_oculus_for_business/

Some others manually upload consumer firmware, but that seems iffy.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kencessna
Protege

Hi havenocat3,

I just did it for ours and it works this way:

On your Quest:

- factory reset

- choose sideload update

- connect to pc

On your computer:

- install ADB Bridge

- download https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-XwU2uFh1O2MytV2w_kjhrBvoavq6kRy/view?usp=sharing

- don`t unzip it, just save it somewhere

- open console and type

- cd C:\PATH_TO_YOUR_ANDROID_FOLDER\Android\Sdk\platform-tools

- adb.exe

- adb sideload C:\PATH_TO_YOUR_ZIP

Keep in mind you`ll need an android device with the oculus app and you`ll have to do it for every headset!

Cheers, Can

Thanks Can,

It looks like the process of pushing files to it worked but it still resets as a Business version headset.

Is there another file I need to send it? Here's a screenshot of the result in the first screen and the directory I used to tell it where the files are in the second screen shot.  

Screenshot (640).png

Screenshot (641).png

As far as these troubleshooting steps go. 

We are happy that you guys managed to find a workaround but please keep in mind guys, this does go against ToS so do it at your own discretion.

On a secondary note: Keep an eye on our main threads and we'll have some official updates/workarounds available for everyone hopefully soon in regards to a headset update. 

@havenocat3 As for your concern, I think Oculus for Business Support might be able to best help since the headset was under a business setting first. If I remember correctly, they would need to send you a code/link in order to swap it over to a consumer headset. Note: OFB has started to shut down, but they should still be able to help for current OFB partners.

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

Thanks for the post!  I contacted Business CS and the referred me to Consumer and then vice versa, now 3 times. No one knows what to do. Our vendor said to just do a factory reset. But it needs the Consumer OS. I think Can has the right procedure - it ran great for me, but it apparently needs needs a different file or needs to process more of the files I sent it than it did. The message "Total transfer .05x" popped up instantly and in a split second the transfer process was done, like maybe it didn't process everything?

@havenocat3 Ah okay understood, sorry. I thought OFB would be a bit more help. 

I did some digging around and it does seem the best way to revert to Consumer OS, would be to actually Factory reset the headset. 

From there, it should just start back up as a normal Consumer headset. 

Have you given this a shot by chance, or is there any other errors that come up? Are you trying to avoid the factory reset?

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

Whoa.... nevermind! It worked! Thanks Can!!  

Disregard. Can's procedure worked for me after all.

I factory reset the headset a dozen times. It just kept coming back up at a Business headset. It needed Can's update to encourage it to be different. 🙂 I read about this on Reddit too, but Can's steps outlined the procedure perfectly.