cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing up the misconceptions

KBK
Protege
(partially stolen from another thread, but I thought it deserved to have it's own thread, this seems to be a critical misunderstanding)

The simple reality is that none of you have the slightest idea of the specific and intricate details of the contract they may or have signed, and you are in a near 100% chance/position of never seeing those specific points.

So the speculation of what Palmer is saying is simply so much wasted twisting in the wind, and angst.

Some critical points, that unless you trolled the MTBS3D forums, you would not be privy to..is that almost anything you can think of in the world of HMD's, was thought up and patented a good 20+ years ago.

Which means the vast majority of the correct and useful IP's in the world of VR, as patents...have expired and are common public knowledge and are for common free use.

This means, almost all of you may be misunderstanding this situation.

Oculus is at the forefront of a new explosion in POTENTIAL.... but this can ALSO be done by ANYONE else.

With, in almost any given possible case, ZERO IP infringement problems, UNLESS one builds something entirely unique and can get it past the patent office, which is almost a waste of time, as the vast majority of it has, as I have said, already been done.

So the DREAM is NOT gone, as almost every bit of it is, in patent terms, PRIOR ART, and has no possibility of ever being patented.

This is why there are so many HMD companies and products in existence and now more are coming into existence due to the combination of factors that ended up creating Oculus.

So DON'T drop your projects and walk away as there is nothing to walk away from.

Exactly the same as it was before this Facebook thing.

I hope that clears up some important points for you folks out there.

Oculus, as a valuated corporation with attached responsibilities, really can't be telling all of this to you in a public statement, even though it is common knowledge in the world of HMD's.

Oculus is moving into the forefront of the level of potential that exists today, to get to providing the ground floor level of HMD's, that may emerge into widespread use.

But really, it is a glorified monitor with some ancillary functions and attachments, NOTHING MORE. That's the simple view.

Sure, getting that to work is difficult, but modern hardware has provided the opportunity to tackle and solve these long standing problems.

This is where the potential comes in, where Oculus has come into being and is taking a shot at becoming a big winner in establishing the game rules of the moment, but stands no chance of OWNING the playing field ---JUST the establishing of it's existence and how it begins. Nothing more. To be a big player in the opening moves, and then we will see what happens.

Any project you make stands almost zero chance of ever being chained solely to an Oculus Rift, regarding the given project's future in the coming world of common widespread HMD use.

So, if you look at all the comments from Oculus and from Palmer from the beginning... to even this very day, with what I have written, fully in mind.... you will see some clarity emerge and you will understand that what I say is quite close to the exact truth of the situation..and there is no reason to walk away or get bent out of shape.

HMD's are going to happen regardless. The entire package is on the table, as of last year or so (all possible required components are out there), and SOMEONE is going to grab that totally big ass brass ring.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
6 REPLIES 6

densohax
Explorer
Wh-what?? What happened? Is there any big news I didn't heard???

.. Come on, there are thousands of threads about this already!

Calanar
Honored Guest
"densohax" wrote:

But with so few listening it may bear some repeating.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

densohax
Explorer
"Calanar" wrote:
"densohax" wrote:

I don't know, I guess I'm just fed up about this..

Calanar
Honored Guest
"densohax" wrote:
"Calanar" wrote:
"densohax" wrote:

I don't know, I guess I'm just fed up about this..

That's fair. Peace... I'm out for tonight.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
well said, unfortunately those who would listen already know.
the rest will just have to come to that realization on their own.... eventually.

Even when Notch said OH NO I'M NOT SUPPORTING FACEBOOK, then Razor remarked they had something in store (hinting at their VR) he was excited...

He knows that anything he makes for Razor will just be used on a Rift.... it's about "principle" (lol)

This is so silly but unfortunately people who operate on emotion will operate on emotion regardless of sound logic.
The only thing that will change their perspective is time.

Randomoneh
Honored Guest
Even though there will be many HMDs on market eventually, let's hope Rift won't demand (hard-wired) some arbitrary piece of FB code to run our apps and of course, let's hope there will be no "calling home" whatsoever.