cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparsion SDE Oculus Rift CV1 vs HTC Vive vs Pimax 4K

VTSVTS
Level 2

I shoot zoom video for compare SDE in Luckey Tales for Oculus CV1, HTC Vive and Pimax 4K:

https://youtu.be/0OPCZ4tBvAw

Original videos for this test (with zoomed and non zoomed image):
Pimax 4k https://youtu.be/SlB5sCbezQM
Oculus Rift CV1 https://youtu.be/-3yDMgiqqjI
HTC Vive https://youtu.be/_EpeSD5OERE

And one more comparsion Pimax 4K vs Oculus CV1 in Dirt Rally:
Pimax 4k - https://youtu.be/Ceqdm8xPigk
Oculus Rift CV1 https://youtu.be/lZQYSEDO--0

And one more comparsion Oculus CV1 vs HTC Vive in Google Earth VR (zoomed):
HTC Vive - https://youtu.be/2s7YUmabyho
Oculus CV1 - https://youtu.be/OUXZpSACknQ

The video is shot with big zoom. If you want see real size image (as in HMD), then for a 24-inch monitor make video full screen, and move about 2.2-2.3 meters from the monitor.

Since non-optimal factory settings of Pimax, the image is improved in Piplay 1.2.53

- increased brightness (Debug Tool / High_level2: 10033036)
- the option "cold colors"
- in the setting of Nvidia, the Digital Vibrance parameter (80%) is increased
- Pixel Per Display = 150%

The purpose of this test is to compare ONLY Screen Door Effect and does not mean the superiority of Pimax over Oculus CV1 and HTC Vive. 

Now Pimax not have problem with brighntess and dim image. But still has major problems - ghosting, less FOV, lense edge blur, latency, gyro drift and close focus of lenses (0.5 meters vs 2..4 meters for Oculus and Vive). And Pimax not have native 4K, only 2560x1440 with upscale to 4K in HMD.
And i still recommended Oculus CV1 with Touch if you have money. HTC Vive has worse SDE, and i prefer Oculus CV1 and now sold HTC Vive (but HTC Vive also has advantages- bigger FOV, better room scale, more brightness).
And i have Pimax as second HMD for movies and for some seated games and wait, than Pimax finally fix all disadvantages.

And of course i think Rift and Vive should give us right now at least 1440x1440 per eye and RGB, NOT Pentile. Then I do not even look at helmets like Pimax.

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
You also have to remember, there was no display that was VR ready at that time of the release for both Vive and Oculus and a switch to a better display during the release would be like saying they are releasing a new version of at the time.

More pixels does two things: One is increases pixel per degree. Two allows for other pixel arrangements.

Pimax 4k and soon to be 8k will be a good example of why we can't rush and just give HMD a higher resolution without fixing the current problems with displays so close to our faces (ghosting, space between pixels, light levels, refresh rates, pixel counts, etc). It also gives us a reason why that higher resolution is still a needed thing though.

With that said, I think you might be seeing something that isn't true because of the increase number of pixels. Aka, Pimax doesn't have a superiority to the SDE more than just having more pixels to play with per degree. In theory, if Vive and Oculus kept everything the same, but brought up the pixel count - you would see almost the same thing but a better display because of the lack of problems of what they did instead.

I'm not sure if we will see a different pixels arrangement for next gen VR, but one thing we will see is a higher pixel counts and space between pixels lower to better lower SDE effect. One thing I am hoping Oculus and Vive are both doing is working their their display makers to fix ghosting and lower the time it takes to switch between pixels to that way we can see true darks again in HMDs instead of the gray fog we have now.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't get your hopes up for 2 x 4K displays for either one of CV2s next generation. We'll have 2 x 2K displays instead. Both Oculus and HTC are well aware that cost is the major barrier preventing VR from going mainstream. Not just for the headsets themselves but also the cost of having a PC powerful enough to run them.

Even with foveated rendering you're still going to need a powerful PC to drive 8K worth of screen at 90fps.

We won't see 2 x 4K displays until the CV3s are released in 5 years or so.

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

Don't get your hopes up for 2 x 4K displays for either one of CV2s next generation. We'll have 2 x 2K displays instead. Both Oculus and HTC are well aware that cost is the major barrier preventing VR from going mainstream. Not just for the headsets themselves but also the cost of having a PC powerful enough to run them.

Even with foveated rendering you're still going to need a powerful PC to drive 8K worth of screen at 90fps.

We won't see 2 x 4K displays until the CV3s are released in 5 years or so.

I wouldn't say we wont see 2 x 4k for  a HMD that will support it. If they can get a deal with a display maker for the displays - nothing really off the table for say. Sony just release information on their 2k screens and Samsung plans on releasing a 11k screen in 2-3 more years as well. Possible that they already have access to 4k screens for the cheap on the require specs they will need already or at least the ability to make them. The only problem is that eye tracking has to come to light for any of this to become a "thing". I will be surprise if they feel like they could pull off a double win - but eye tracking is a big WIN already if they can make it work for the next release as that is like winning the jack pot already:)

But it sounds like you read one of my post:) and agree - I think cost will already be high for having eye tracking that, in result,  means we will have to wait another  release cycle to see any improvement on the display side because of cost. By CV3 - most of the frame work hardware will be "cheap" and mature enough that most of the  R&D will be move to FOV and resolution. By then as well - eye tracking, graphic hardware, and software will be more mature to the point that all performance will go into just graphics/display resulting in a pretty high fidelity of graphics we never seen before.

RedRizla
Level 15
We could see 2k sceens now if everyone owned a Geforce 1080. The problem is they don't and lots of people have settled on a Geforce 970.

Anonymous
Not applicable

lovethis said:

We could see 2k sceens now if everyone owned a Geforce 1080. The problem is they don't and lots of people have settled on a Geforce 970.


That is one of great hopes. I really hope the rumors are true and that we do get to see eye tracking for CV2. IF so, then it wont matter if you are running a 1080 or a 970 because both would be able to run at native or with some help. That will be a big leap forward for VR and who can run it or not (big savings in cost for the customer).

RedRizla
Level 15

Mradr said:


lovethis said:

We could see 2k sceens now if everyone owned a Geforce 1080. The problem is they don't and lots of people have settled on a Geforce 970.


That is one of great hopes. I really hope the rumors are true and that we do get to see eye tracking for CV2. IF so, then it wont matter if you are running a 1080 or a 970 because both would be able to run at native or with some help. That will be a big leap forward for VR and who can run it or not (big savings in cost for the customer).


The tech is already there for eye tracking as the Vive device shows. Lets hope it's up and running by the time the next Gen headsets come around.

PiMaxVR_com
Level 3

lovethis said:


Mradr said:


lovethis said:

We could see 2k sceens now if everyone owned a Geforce 1080. The problem is they don't and lots of people have settled on a Geforce 970.


That is one of great hopes. I really hope the rumors are true and that we do get to see eye tracking for CV2. IF so, then it wont matter if you are running a 1080 or a 970 because both would be able to run at native or with some help. That will be a big leap forward for VR and who can run it or not (big savings in cost for the customer).


The tech is already there for eye tracking as the Vive device shows. Lets hope it's up and running by the time the next Gen headsets come around.



I use a 1070 with the 8K PixelMax VR and it works beautifully.  I am excited for the comparison reviews of our 8K HMD along side these other HMD's.  We have an eye tracking module and other extensions as our system is very modular.

Anonymous
Not applicable
8k really???