cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congrats to Quest 2: $1B in app sales!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Today was Meta's earnings call, and Mark Z. shared the information on a FB Post. I have snipped the bits relevant to VR:

Highlights

• Quest 2 Apps gained over $1-billion in sales.
  • AI will play a big role in the Metaverse.
  • Horizon remains the primary target for VR interaction with the Metaverse.
  • Standard 2D social platforms will also be layered atop the Metaverse.

Artificial intelligence is also going to play a big role in our work to build the metaverse. We just announced our AI Research SuperCluster, which we think will be the world's fastest supercomputer once it's complete later this year. This is going to enable new AI models that can learn from trillions of examples and understand hundreds of languages – which will be key for the kinds of experiences that we're building.

Looking ahead, we're focused on further scaling our computing power and transforming our AI infrastructure through advances in foundational research, as well as improvements to data center design, networking, storage, and software.

Now the last investment priority here is the metaverse. We're focused on the foundational hardware and software that are required to build an immersive, ​​embodied internet that enables better digital social experiences than anything that exists today.

On the hardware front, we're seeing real traction with Quest 2. People have spent more than $1B on Quest store content, helping virtual reality developers grow and sustain their business. We had a strong holiday season and Oculus reached the top of the App Store for the first time on Christmas Day in the US. We're working towards a release of a high-end virtual reality headset later this year and we continue to make progress developing Project Nazare, which is our first fully-augmented reality glasses.

As for software, Horizon is core to our metaverse vision. This is our social VR world-building experience that we recently opened to people in the US and Canada. And we've seen a number of talented creators build worlds like a recording studio where producers collaborate or a relaxing space to meditate. And this year, we plan to launch a version of Horizon on mobile too, that will bring early metaverse experiences to more surfaces beyond VR. So while the deepest and most immersive experience are going to be in virtual reality, you're also going to be able to access the worlds from your Facebook or Instagram apps as well, and probably more over time. This will enable us to build even richer social experiences where you can connect with friends in the metaverse whether they're in VR or not.

We're also focused on avatars, which will be how you represent yourself in Horizon and across other developers' experiences in the metaverse. In December, we rolled out our Meta Avatars SDK to all Unity developers on Quest, Rift and Windows-based VR platforms, letting developers bring Meta Avatars to their own VR experiences. We just announced an update that lets you further customize your avatar to better express yourself – and we're introducing digital clothing too, starting with an NFL partnership so you can cheer on your favorite team. You can use your avatar across Quest, Facebook, Instagram and Messenger. So it serves as another bridge between our 2D social apps and 3D immersive virtual reality experiences. We have a bunch of work ahead of us to make avatars as expressive and high-fidelity as they need to be to fully represent us and help us feel present with one another. But I'm very excited for the advances we're making here.

Full Mark Z. Post:

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10114284848016861 

17 REPLIES 17

kojack
MVP
MVP

Great to see how well it's doing. I wonder what the value of software purchased for Quest would be if PCVR was included in that (considering Quest 2 is the most popular Steam headset)?

Although "And this year, we plan to launch a version of Horizon on mobile too" is really rubbing salt in the wound of Quest 1 owners. They get dropped from Horizon but mobile phones get a version.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

And things are not all flowers and rose petals coming out of the earnings call.

Meta’s stock price plunges 25 percent overnight

Scrubbing $200 billion in value could rank as the biggest single-day drop in market history

Bloomberg reports that the $200 billion plunge may rank as the biggest single-day drop in market value ever, as Meta struggles with waning relevance among young people and CEO Mark Zuckerberg refocuses its aim toward “metaverse” plans.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/3/22916007/facebook-meta-stock-drop-history-invest

Granted, it is not all doom and gloom either. This type of drop is expected for any organization that is rebranding and truly re-focusing their strategic goals. Younger consumers are moving towards platforms such as TikTok and Snapchat as their primary social platform. Meta seems to have no real desire to compete with these competitors directly. So the stock will suffer until Meta is able to re-establish itself accordingly.

This translates to Meta wanting to simply change the game entirely, by bringing "everyone" in to the Metaverse. With this vision, young consumers will continue to use tools like TikTok and Snapchat, but they will also reside within the Metaverse. In this way, Meta will have regained their foothold without losing customers to other social media tools.

The problem is that... this version of the Metaverse still isn't a thing yet. It is all conceptual. So stock prices will suffer in the meantime.

I am excited to see what Christmas 2022 will reveal!

$1B is good. As to how much Steam PCVR software revenue would add... I'm going to hazard a very wild guess.

If the 2% of Steam users with VR headsets purchase games proportionally, and 40% of Steam headsets are Quest 2s, that would put Q2 owners accounting for 0.8% of Steam's total annual revenue of $5-$6Bn which would be roughly $44 Million. Q2 ownership has taken 16 months to get to that 40% but then if we're talking about the 16 months that Q2 has been on sale rather than an annual figure, then maybe $40 million could be about right for total Q2 Steam sales.

If that figure is anywhere near realistic (and I got the maths right!!) it's a reminder of how small the PCVR market still is and I think that's all about GPU availability and PC cost in general. VR headset use on Steam really hasn't shifted much in the last year and I don't think it will until something happens with GPUs.

In the mean time, VR developers have a safe harbour with stand-alone.

The math is solid, and I really think that your estimates are well within the ballpark of Market reality. It certainly matches the trends and behaviors we have seen from VR consumers over the last few years.

Stand-alone is definitely a great safe harbor for Devs wanting to make a real profit, instead of suffering losses and merely breaking even. We've seen the PCVR titles available from small studios over the last few years, and while the effort is valiant... the end-result is still a long way off from being anywhere near AAA in caliber. And due to my time constraints in life, I just can't justify "playing PCVR for the sake of PCVR."

I need compelling experiences. And for the whole of 2021, the only truly "new" compelling PCVR experience was Lone Echo 2. 

I'd love to see more in the PCVR front, but it's painstakingly obvious that there simply isn't any real money in it for the Devs right now. 

Yeah, I'd give a lot of money just to have the Fallout DLC's properly sorted out but anything new with half the breadth of gameplay like that would be amazing.

3080 Ti's are back in stock on Scan but I can't justify spending £1,500 on an upgrade for MS Flight Simulator alone, there would need to be a few more new titles that made good use of it.

There may be a difficult decision coming when the Cambria headset lands... spend big on a new GPU?

Using it only for stand-alone would be a shame, but I doubt it would be much better than a Q2 on PC without upgrading my GPU. For stand-alone though, improved AR abilities/colour pass-though, possibly pancake lenses, cameras in controllers etc would keep me pretty happy.

I used to spend money without a care but economic forecasts are not good and I'm sure I'm not the only one changing my priorities... I just can't see a big change in the respective trajectories of stand-alone and PCVR for the next couple of years. And by that time PCVR may have a tough time competing with AR/VR capabilities unless there are some great PC games.

@Zenbane wrote:

This translates to Meta wanting to simply change the game entirely, by bringing "everyone" in to the Metaverse. With this vision, young consumers will continue to use tools like TikTok and Snapchat, but they will also reside within the Metaverse.

One problem with this is that a lot of this stuff is done on phones, and even if they bring Horizon to mobile as stated, it seems like an extra layer of inconvenience. If I'm on a bus going to work and I want to watch a tiktok video, I don't want to have to navigate a virtual world, I just want a simple interface with as little hindrance as possible.

It reminds me of the old Doom mod that let you use Doom as Task Manager, monsters were processes and killing them ended the process on your PC. It was a fun idea, but not practical for serious system management.

VR is certainly great for some aspects, my nieces are completely addicted to Roblox and I'd imagine them (when they are older) using it as a social thing, and it would suit a metaverse well. And VR could be good for the whole movie/streaming viewing thing when at home (I never got into watching flat movies in VR, I have a 4K OLED tv for that).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

ohgrant
Superstar

Not good news about the crash but I'm confident they'll rebound.

I've actually been playing a lot lately but mostly on my 3DTV. I've found a way to play the original Red Dead upscaled and in 3D.  I can't stop playing it. I didn't originally get to far on it when it came out. There's also theoretically a way to play it in VR with the Super depth VR wrapper but I haven't got that working yet. Also playing Red Dead II in 3D for comparison. Sure makes me wish those type of games is what we are being offered in VR. No more zombies/horror, art deco cartoons or senseless slaughter for me for a while.  

I just picked up a used 2080ti I couldn't pass up, really impressed so far but only ran a benchmark. Since 20 series is the end of the line for NV3D DX11 support, it seemed my only choice to have the backward compatibility and new features.  I'm planning to skip the next gen altogether.  Looks like I'm going to be tied up tweaking setting for a while.   

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

@ohgrant wrote:

I've actually been playing a lot lately but mostly on my 3DTV.

I've been playing a lot lately, 54 hours in No Man's Sky over the last couple of weeks, but all in my Reverb G2.

No, I'm not jumping ship.

I need clear long distance viewing in NMS, so the CV1 is out (resolution too low).

I started with the Quest 2, but Link streaming was glitchy with NMS (which is pushing performance on my system). Plus I can't wear the Quest 2 for hours, too uncomfortable.

I can't use the Rift-S because of the knob on the back. I'm playing NMS in a cinema recliner and the Rift-S sucks at leaning back on a headrest.

So the Reverb lets me lean back and have great visuals, although framerate would annoy people more sensitive than me. Also NMS has no idea what a Reverb G2 controller is, so most buttons are unlabeled in the UI (every button is just an exclamation sign).

The G2 has grown on me a bit with this. Although the software (both WMR and SteamVR) is still utter garbage and the controller tracking still has poor coverage for us first gen G2 owners.

@kojack wrote:

One problem with this is that a lot of this stuff is done on phones, and even if they bring Horizon to mobile as stated, it seems like an extra layer of inconvenience. If I'm on a bus going to work and I want to watch a tiktok video, I don't want to have to navigate a virtual world, I just want a simple interface with as little hindrance as possible.

Yes that scenario would certainly be problematic. Although I am not sure that a user would have to navigate a virtual world to see a TikTok video in this future Metaverse utopia. I think it is more about something like TikTok residing atop the Metaverse as opposed to its current state where it sits atop the Internet.

The Internet itself is the first Metaverse. In this next version/iteration, Virtual Worlds will be the driving force and standard 2D Apps will simply integrate with it as another interface.

VR, afterall, is merely a 3D interface atop the Metaverse. A 2D app can function in the same way.

As an example,

A user in Horizons should be able to create a TikTok video that takes place entirely in VR. Where the VR Camera records the person in their VR World and the person is represented by their VR Avatar. Then, a standard user sitting in their home using the 2D TikTok app can instantly access that VR TikTok video.

I see it more as a layered integration as opposed to shoving all the Apps inside the virtual world. Na' mean?

😁