cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect 2022 discussion

Due to start at 13:00 ET, 18:00 BST.

VR and AR stuff is going to be announced so here's a place to chat as we find out!

Hopefully the Pro isn't going to be a ridiculous price... maybe some clues about Quest 3... who knows!

Not sure if I'm going to be here during the event so hopefully someone will post the interesting points as they emerge.

55 REPLIES 55

@NosePunch  I'm sure if you try a little harder you can find more reasons why not to buy, lol!

My Index controllers have built-in rechargeables and after +2 years I haven't had any problems with them.  As far as blacks go, the Pro has more contrast so blacks should look a little better than the Q2 (which I think already look pretty good, certainly not grey like some say).  Never going to be as black as my AMOLED Vive Pro or OLED Rift cv1 though.  Maybe we'll see mini-OLED's in a couple years time.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Once the decision's made to have cameras in the controllers, built-in lithium is the best compromise, Ni-mh recharchable wouldn't last long enough unless you have multiples in there, I'd prefer to keep the controllers small. The other choice would have been removable lithium, like cameras have, and have spare batteries but how many sessions would be over 8 hours? I'm betting the Q2 controller compatibility works both ways, it's just a bit of a pain pairing them if you want to swap regularly.

It's surprising how many gamers on some forums are really angry that the Pro hasn't been designed for out-and-out gaming, I mean how long have Meta been explaining about the uses it's going to be for? I get that most VR users are only into gaming and only in VR, but that's because there aren't many other options out there.

I've always thought AR has more use cases... and the non-pro Quest line will carry on catering for gaming without the big costs.

Edit: @TomCgcmfc you tipped me over the edge, I've ordered one too. I notice the full light blocker isn't going to be delivered until a month later.

Edit again: thinking more about it, controller compatibility may only work one way if the Pro has dropped some of the Q2 tracking cameras that were necessary for the controller tracking.

@DaftnDirect wrote:

Yes but the point is if you're using just one of the features then you're better off getting a headset that just does that feature.

They're saying it does gaming because it does that too so if you're like me.. and most Quest users... and want to do PCVR, stand-alone, and now AR and social/work collaboration with face and eye tracking, there aren't many headsets in existence that do all of them.

edit: Meta have confirmed Quest Pro supports Link and Air Link.

Thanks! I missed the event and news due to work and family life. My first question was to confirm Link usage.

I do plan to order this unit, but I won't pre-order as I have no pressing need to upgrade from my Quest 2 urgently. I love the Quest 2 and still consider it the best overall VR Headset on the market. I've yet to finish exploring all of its latest Home Office capabilities, such as bringing in your desk, laptop, monitor, keyboard, and mouse in to VR. All while being 100% controller-free and relying on pure hand-tracking.

The days of "pure gaming" are on pause for me. I have no interest in a VR unit that does only one thing. And even if I did... that one thing sure wouldn't be gaming. There's so many other great ways to use VR as an adult. I'm far more interested in the financial benefits from developing VR for the Enterprise.

Quest Pro is perfect for my professional needs. The fact that it can also engage in both Mobile-VR and PCVR is just a huge added plus. 🙂

Hello stranger!

I was thinking on the drive home today about how serious PC gaming has become so expensive, no-one expects a decent GPU to be under £1000 now, and full rig for £3-5k.

Gaming on PC is becoming a thing for older people with the disposable income. The younger people who game the most are being forced out and games devs are following them to consoles and to lower end PC games that'll run on less expensive hardware. AAA games are becoming few and far between... and I really think it's partly due to the older gamers chasing specs.

I'm still into gaming but mixed reality has a promise of something special now. Inviting friends and family into your living room regardless of where they are is top of my personal wish list. Creating a personal work or leisure space at home a close second. Screens and info where you want, or just a view of the coast when I look through my window would be pretty magical, anything's possible... lessons on the piano using MR, I can think of a hundred things.

It's just going to take a while, the pricing at the moment is for devs and enterprise. I hope decent MR comes to Quest 3, so devs will be motivated to do all of this stuff. I'm guessing I'll be waiting a couple years for my software wish list unless Meta are investing heavily in it... they seem to be developing and demonstrating a lot more than they're publishing.

Completely agree! We can see this trend on YouTube, where these wealthy YouTubers with killer gaming rigs are live streaming themselves playing... incredibly low quality games lol

Heck, even grown adults are on YouTube playing Roblox for hours. Minecraft and Garry's Mod on Steam (very low PC requirements to play this) are extremely popular.

There isn't much of a market for high-end PC Gaming; if that's even a thing anymore.

I'm fine with that though, since so many legendary franchises are failing to live up to their past glory and releasing pure doodoo butter these days. I'm looking at you, Diablo Immortal and Diablo IV.

The future does seem to be skyrocketing towards Immersive Entertainment. Which is perfectly fine! Some of my best experiences in VR took place with friends, family, and members of this community, inside low graphic-quality games but yielded highly memorable and enjoyable experiences.

Mradr
Protege

Yes and no, people still want the option to play higher quility games when they do pop up. Even when VR first pop up people would going out of their way to get GPUs that could handle the fact that VR requires double the rendering power. Something I think a lot of people still forget today.

While I agree a game doesnt have to be AAA - even those low graphical ones today still require some pretty big beef to play them at 60+ FPS. Let alone pushing that to 120 or double POV for VR. To say VR doesnt require good graphics is a bit of a misleading comment considering it require more resources than flat or 2d type of games. VR still young - and with the push from PC to being on more mobile hardware it has done a 360 and started lowering the content thus AAA has a harder time really looking at VR as a thing right now when they need A LOT OF people to trade off its cost or enough resources so they don't have to over spend on extra time to run their game/app.

High end gaming is more mid range gaming right now. Hardware out pace software for a while (outside of RT/AI) methods. New tools to push software are taking more time to complete such as we see in EU5+, but at the same time, when they do - it requires a large jump from hardware vendors to make it happen too (such as cuda cores and whatever else they might include in the future). Stuff like the XX90 cards dont help the gaming market either - but they're not really gaming cards in the first place, but more just another level they can push the cards at. Yet, any card today pretty much is going to be higher graphically / at max for a lot of games. xx50-60-80s can pretty much max out 1080p gaming and 2k gaming at this point. 4k is the only main reason to get 80s or 90s and that really only accounts for a small precent (or power high end gaming). 

With that said, VR isnt just behind whatever consoles and flat games can provide - its 2x behind. Personally feel like VR needs to open that idea up more. Quest like devices are only holding that back more than anything by wall gardening the GPU/CPU to it self vs opening it up for other devices to do the main bulk of compute. AR glasses in the future will also need to move to the idea - and VR will need to as well. In that, there just isnt enough room to make the headset lighter and small while trying to provide more compute along with power (at least in the front of the headset).

If the Pro had the ability to link up with your phone and pull over applications, data, and commutation I think we be looking at a whole other idea of what VR could bring really. They're getting there by bring in the apps, but it also took them a whole new hardware (Pro) that has more ram resources to make it happen. Aka, Pro should allow direct link to the headset for its data + displays. This way they can expand the compute units allow to access said VR world. From the PC, Phones, Pucks, etc. Instead of trying to do this hybrid control method or at least be another tool someone could use as well.