cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 Cable management Questions

ajames123
Honored Guest
Hi guys,

Can someone please confirm how the cables have changed from DK1 to DK2? I noticed from images they go into the top part of the rift instead of the side now.

Has the small box with connections changed?

Reason im curious as i would like to make somthing to hang from ceiling so you can turn without worrying about cables. May need to get some extension leads.

"Ceiling"
------------
| <--- like so
|
8-)

Would using extension leads affect response performance at all?

Also how do ppl with VR Sim set ups for Driving games and Space games easily switch bewteen controls?

Im thinking of building a set up where you can swivel a stand around in front of a Racing seat so you can easily switch between Joysticks and wheel set ups. Be a pain to keep moving bits round and having two set up would take up too much space.

Would love to hear or see peoples set ups for VR.
26 REPLIES 26

HiCZoK
Protege
cable management should be way better.
There is one cable coming from the Rift itself. It splits into usb and hdmi at the end as far as I know.

There is no power cable and no box now so WAY less cables

ajames123
Honored Guest
"hiczok" wrote:
There is one cable coming from the Rift itself. It splits into usb and hdmi at the end as far as I know.

Thats cool. I got a micro hdmi to hdmi extension cable already i used in past.

oAmadeuso
Honored Guest
I'm planning a ceiling hook as well.
So this was relevant to my interests.

hellary
Protege
I think it already comes with a 10 foot cable which is almost at the maximum length for USB2.0 (~16 feet) so you might not want to extend it that much further. An acive USB extender might give you the extra distance that you need but I've had mixed to poor experience extending USB2.

I wish they'd added a headphone jack on the rift itself though as it's just another cable we're going to have to run and the HDMI cable can carry audio with it.

mrgreen72
Superstar
"hiczok" wrote:

Only HDMI?

I recall Cyber mentioning color issues or something using HDMI with the DK1 and I've been using DVI-D since.

ajames123
Honored Guest
im still looking for some not too expensive wireless headphones with noise canceling. Less cables the better 🙂

Think il wait untill i know 100% length of cable that comes with it before i start looking into making anything

hellary
Protege
"ajames123" wrote:
im still looking for some not too expensive wireless headphones with noise canceling. Less cables the better 🙂

Think il wait untill i know 100% length of cable that comes with it before i start looking into making anything

The cable length is 10 foot according to the DK2 tech specs.

I'm not a fan of noise cancelling headphones. I had some a few years ago and although the cancellation was impressive, I found I'd hear some higher pitches where things weren't cancelled right and it would give me a headache after a while. The best headphones for isolation are in ear ones with the foam. Not sure if you can get wireless ones though. Shure always did awesome ones.

ajames123
Honored Guest
"hellary" wrote:
"ajames123" wrote:

The cable length is 10 foot according to the DK2 tech specs.

I'm not a fan of noise cancelling headphones. I had some a few years ago and although the cancellation was impressive, I found I'd hear some higher pitches where things weren't cancelled right and it would give me a headache after a while. The best headphones for isolation are in ear ones with the foam. Not sure if you can get wireless ones though. Shure always did awesome ones.

I tried my mates Beats Studio Wireless few months back and they seemed awesome for blocking external noise. May see if he will lend them to me for few weeks.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Using extension cables with DK2 is not officially supported, and may not even work. People have tried it, and the extension cables have died within hours. Maybe there is a certain special cable that will work, I don't know. But just set your expectation correctly, since this may not work for you.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV