cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 arrived yesterday and was better than expected!

kingzope
Protege
I think my expectations for the DK2 dropped a little given many reviewers complaining about the resolution, chromatic abberations, FOV, lenses, black smear, whatever lol. It took me probably 5 mins to get everything going and test the desk demo to see the camera view. When I put the rift on and saw it I had a "holy shit" moment. Mind you I used the DK1 a lot so it wasn't as if VR was new to me. I mean I just didn't expect the clarity to be what it was. Plus the colors were amazing. The DK1 always made me feel like I was kind of in fog. Also the FOV seems to not bother me at all. I can kind of notice the difference but when I'm moving around or plainly not looking for it, it kind of doesn't get seen.

So I did try probably around 20 more demos to get a good idea where it was at. I still was very impressed. The black smear was very noticeable on riftmax in certain places but the feeling of VR overwhelmed it. Also I left the plastic on the lenses at first because of the complaints of scratching. I never ended up taking it off because I don't notice it at all.

To cut the first guy off who's gonna say I have bad vision or something, I actually got lasik prior to getting the DK1. My eyes were and still are 20/14 and 20/17.

Bottomline: I still tell my friends to wait for the consumer release because it can be complicated and most people want a consumer device that just works and doesn't require some care taking and and look past perfect.

I on the other hand am very happy I got it and can't wait to hop in riftmax karaoke again on Thursday lol. I've been going through tutorials on unity and hopefully I can port my garbage, I mean game to the rift lol. In the meantime I'll be backing every good kickstarter I see 😄
DK1 Order No: 574XX (US) Status: Received DK2 Order No: GP-1055XXX Status: Received CV1 Order No:6130000XXXXXXX Status: Received Oculus Go Status: Received
14 REPLIES 14

davidjc
Honored Guest
How was the sweet spot?

This kinda worried me, people saying that looking about with your eyes results in bluriness.

kingzope
Protege
I saw someone mentioned that it's blurry outside of the center. I'm not sure if that's what you mean. I can honestly say I didn't really notice things were blurry outside of the center. I looked around a lot and it never caused me any issues. The juttering was probably the only thing that actually bothered me.
DK1 Order No: 574XX (US) Status: Received DK2 Order No: GP-1055XXX Status: Received CV1 Order No:6130000XXXXXXX Status: Received Oculus Go Status: Received

davidjc
Honored Guest
"kingzope" wrote:
I saw someone mentioned that it's blurry outside of the center. I'm not sure if that's what you mean. I can honestly say I didn't really notice things were blurry outside of the center. I looked around a lot and it never caused me any issues. The juttering was probably the only thing that actually bothered me.

Ok this is encouraging, I never know when people are exagerating the issues they find or not. You would have noticed it if it were as pronounced a problem as I was led to believe. In DK1 the A cups lens had no sweet spot really...looked awful for me. The B lens worked perfectly.

Maybe they got the lenses right on the DK2

kingzope
Protege
I didn't test the B lenses so I can't speak to that. i honestly was getting worried with the numerous complains I was seeing. I'm absolutely busting I'm so happy I got it! I hope you're as thrilled as me.

Superdeluxo
Explorer
One thing I never experienced with the DK2 was the black smear, I had already read complaints of it but before I used mine I increased the brightness by 5% in the Nvida control panel for the rift. The blacks still look very very nice but no smear.

mta
Honored Guest
"kingzope" wrote:
Also I left the plastic on the lenses at first because of the complaints of scratching. I never ended up taking it off because I don't notice it at all.

This looks like a good tip.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
One thing about the blurring as you move away from looking at the center is the warping does reduce detail around the edges.

It could be that the image is essentially sharp and in focus but they are confusing lack of detail with blurriness. The most detail is in the region near the center of the display for each eye and it goes down as you move to the edges.

Can't say for sure, but there are a lot of people calling various things by the wrong terms which may point to totally different problems from what they intended.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
I got mine Wednesday and was equally impressed by the upgrade over the DK1, just from viewing the tuscany demo. Vibrant colours, zero latency, no motion blur. There's some ghosting from dark objects when moving your head around, but I didn't find it was that bad - I wouldn't describe it as a purple smear. Chromatic aberration is definitely present though it should be a simple fix.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2

kingzope
Protege
"superdeluxo" wrote:
One thing I never experienced with the DK2 was the black smear, I had already read complaints of it but before I used mine I increased the brightness by 5% in the Nvida control panel for the rift. The blacks still look very very nice but no smear.

Holy crap if that works that's a good idea! i never even thought about that. I'm gonna give that a try and see how it affects riftmax