cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 camera

rtweed
Honored Guest
It seems that I misread some parts of the DK2 spec, and thought that the camera had been moved onto the HMD itself. I assumed that this would work using the same methods used by the Kinect, but in reverse. I.e., by tracking the "movement" of the outside world relative to the camera, you can calculate the position and orientation of the HMD. AFAIK, the state of the art in computer vision makes this possible without requiring a sweeping IR beam like the one used by the Kinect, although that could perhaps be incorporated too (depending on the patent situation).

I thought this was great, as it would simplify the hardware setup compared to CC since there's no need for a separate external camera, and plus it would allow for AR applications, including alerting the user to things going on around them, perhaps switching to a transparent or bordered view upon detecting sudden unexpected motion, for example.

So it seems I was wrong and this is not how DK2 is going to work. My question is, did anyone think of this already? Has it been tried?
2 REPLIES 2

rtweed
Honored Guest
PS: Hi everyone! I've been a member here and a backer since day one, but I've not been very active on the forums, so this is actually my first post. I've been lurking on and off. I'll keep my more general thoughts to myself for now, but this has certainly been an interesting week in the history of VR!

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
Cheap modern technology is unable to do what you want at the accuracy needed, without some sort of markers placed around the room. The only reason the Kinect works, for example, is because it sprays the entire room with a mist of infrared dots and looks for size/spacing differences between them looking for 3d objects. But even that would be useless if the camera was pointed at a flat, blank wall. And notice that all AR tech that puts 3D objects in the world requires cards with patterns on them that the camera can look for.

Oculus did try having a camera on the headset - I've seen a picture of an office with AR markers on the walls. They said they tried many different methods of tracking position, and the separate camera with IR dots on the headset was the best solution they found. Having said that, this is potentially one of the areas where Oculus' new state of having a near-infinite development budget and not having to earn a profit on hardware sales may mean they can implement something better.