cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 for lower budgets?

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Hello chaps 🙂

I have a DCS World friend who would like to get in on the VR act, but doesn't have the necessary dosh to invest ina PC upgrade and the Rift. He's looking for a cheaper alternative.

He was looking at that Epoon (?) E2 thing - but having read up on it, I advised against for DCS World. I was wondering about OSVR - but I'm not sure about that, either, as far as compatability and cost goes. So I was wondering if a DK2 would suit his purpose. Of course, it isn't supported any more, but if it will provide him with a basic VR experience in DCS World (yes, he knows the graphics won't be up to snuff) then why not?

Thoughts welcomed

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
6 REPLIES 6

n3bulaR
Protege
I wouldn't spend more than a few bucks on a DK2. It might stop working any day with the next forced update. On the other hand, if you're only using it for DCS and you're sure the requirements won't change, you could block Home updates and keep using it for a while.

DerekSpeare
Adventurer
Dk2's can be had on occasion on the cheap.  Guys sell them on the iRacing forums from time to time.  We use a DK2 on our demo setup at DSD to run DCS, FSX, P3d, iRacing, ED, PCars, LFS, Dirt Rally and PCars2.  The DK2 is quite good, comparatively speaking, of course. 

DCS has some hardware demands for VR, but our i7-3820/GTX780 system does a good job running the DK2.  ASW isn't supported, but the flying is decent with low settings and a PD of 1.  Like n3bulaR said above, it could stop working with the next Oculus update, however.
derekspearedesigns.com

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yeah, that's the thing. Well thanks for your thoughts, think I'll just tell him to start saving. He's only just discovered TrackIR, so I'm sure that'll keep him happy for a few months at least.

DerekSpeare
Adventurer
You can turn off updates in the Oculus Home software.  He could also run the 0800 runtimes if the DK2 eventually becomes obsolete, but that would not be ideal.
derekspearedesigns.com

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
He's decided to buy the Rift when his situation suits, which is the best way, I think.

n3bulaR
Protege

You can turn off updates in the Oculus Home software. 

Do you mean the "automatic app update" under General settings? I think that refers to updates for the installed apps, not Oculus Home itself.