cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Del Mar

wanoennogs
Heroic Explorer
According to Internet rumours Oculus are working on VR headset codenamed Del Mar.  Do you think this will be a new mobile headset or a successor to CV 1/Rift S?

5 REPLIES 5

kojack
MVP
MVP
The leaked info is partially from the mobile headset API, which indicates the Del Mar is another Go or Quest style headset. I'm sure it will have PC ability like the Quest (Link was very popular), but that's all we know for now.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Mr_PoOL
Protege
oculus quest S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mr_PoOL said:

oculus quest S

I say it will be a bit better than that if rumor are correct and it gets a new SOC that will improve on encoding and decoding. In theory - the next Quest (2) link 2 should be more than enough to basically replace Rift S at that stage and, keep on toes with a Rift S 2 - unless they come out with some major upgrades for the PC version.

wanoennogs
Heroic Explorer
I was hoping it was a successor to the cv1/rift s. 
Are they working on a successor to cv1/rifts s?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was hoping it was a successor to the cv1/rift s. 
Are they working on a successor to cv1/rifts s?

Yes and no... Yes in that there is a HD3 headset that show off all the new technology they are working on. Yes in that I am sure there will be a new headset that jumps some forward as well. No in that, they hard limit the price point of the headsets too around 400 so big jumps wont come anymore and instead we will see smaller jumps in improvements much like we saw with CV1 to Rift S. Next jump will more or less be like what we see with the HP Reverb G2 in 2021-22 with Oculus spin on it for around 400.

With that said - they might as well drop the PCVR headset all together as it overlaps what Quest hardware can do. Link 2 should be able to keep up with Rift S and Rift S 2 displays - so it might be just better for them to stream line the products. This way you get the mobile and mobile store games and Link 2 would still give you PC access. Quest-2-PC could also have higher stats and could raise the price point so everything to fits inside it over a 3 product system. Quest-2-GO, Quest-2-Home, and Quest-2-PC. DeepFOVA also would free up a lot of bandwidth over the wire and for wireless too thus being the final nail in the coffin for PCVR headsets.