cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Quest and RIft S controllers?

McNutts
Adventurer
I own a Quest and a Rift S and use them a lot. I am thinking of buying a backup set of touch controllers so I have some ready to go in case I break a controller or if the controllers start to go out. I always have a backup controller for my devices. I have one for my Xbox One X and my PS4 Pro. They are sitting in their boxes waiting to go in case I ever have an issue with the one I'm using now.

What I want to know is that is there a difference between the controllers that are sold on the Quest accessories page and the Rift S accessories page? 

If the controllers work for both headsets I'm probably going to buy them today. If they don't work for either headset then I will probably wait a little bit. $140 for a set of controllers for both headsets I can swallow. $280 for a set for each headset is a tough pill to swallow.
Ryzen 7 5800X | 3090FE | 32GB@3600MHz | Rift S | 128GB Quest1 | 256GB Quest2 | 64GB Go | PSVR | Index
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Mazzixss wrote:

The controller I bought is not connecting I asked oculus on whatsapp for support and they said there different but when I look here your saying there the same I Don't know what to do because it is not pairing

The Quest / Rift-S controllers can't be bought from Meta any more. The Quest 2 controller is different and not compatible with any other headset.

What does the controller look like? If it's a black controller with the ring on top, it will work with a Quest 1 or Rift-S.

If it's a white controller, it only works with the Quest 2.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

They're the same controllers, I have both headsets and either set of controllers can be paired with either headset.

McNutts
Adventurer
Thanks for the reply. As soon as the left hand controller comes back in stop I'm going to order them both.
Ryzen 7 5800X | 3090FE | 32GB@3600MHz | Rift S | 128GB Quest1 | 256GB Quest2 | 64GB Go | PSVR | Index

The controller I bought is not connecting I asked oculus on whatsapp for support and they said there different but when I look here your saying there the same I Don't know what to do because it is not pairing

Hey there, @Mazzixss. We can definitely understand how inconvenient it can be when a controller won't pair up correctly, keeping you from enjoying VR to the fullest. We'll be more than happy to provide some troubleshooting if there's anything you hadn't already tried with our support team! Could you let us know what troubleshooting you've already tried out? We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

@Mazzixss wrote:

The Quest / Rift-S controllers can't be bought from Meta any more. The Quest 2 controller is different and not compatible with any other headset.

What does the controller look like? If it's a black controller with the ring on top, it will work with a Quest 1 or Rift-S.

If it's a white controller, it only works with the Quest 2.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Hey hey @Mazzixss! We wanted to reach out and touch base regarding your controllers pairing issues, we know how this can hinder your gaming experience. So that we can knock this issue out for you please respond with the following information: 

• What device do currently own?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to get your device to pair?
  • How long has this issue been going on?
  • Are you receiving any error message?

Once we gather this information, we can work to get this knocked out for you! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hey there, @Mazzixss! We just wanted to check back in to see if you still needed help?

Do you have to unpair the old controllers before pairing new ones?

So I bought rift controllers to replace broken quest 1 controllers and the new ones will not pair.  Do I need to unpair the old controllers first?