worstplayer
Protege
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
guess I won't be getting it then 🙂

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I still don't understand what's involved in VR support. I thought racing games made VR support very easy. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

worstplayer
Protege

MowTin said:

I still don't understand what's involved in VR support. I thought racing games made VR support very easy. 

That's the case if the game is based on Unreal, Unity or other well-maintained general purpose engine. My best guess is that, like most in-house engines, the "Ego" engine is full of game-specific hacks that make reusing code from previous games difficult.

It's either that, or it was turned off in the name of platform parity. You know, something along the lines of: "XBox has no VR, remove it so it doesn't make our console look inferior."

Hard to say for sure, it's not like they'll officially say "because our engine is crap" or "because Microsoft told us to" 😄

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I think it's likely that the sales of the VR versions were so low. 

X-Rebirth also supported VR but now X4 won't.  

It's likely that some devs who initially supported VR won't continue to support it because it's not profitable.

That's why I think Oculus should do more to help devs port games to VR. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

nrosko
Superstar
Agreed we could be in a heap of poo in a year or so as many devs just don't bother. There is evidence though that VR has really taken hold in the sim community. Also regarding Dirt Rally i don't think there was a VR version, it was both. 

Thmoas
Rising Star
Yeah no buy for me. I don't play 2D anymore.

wanoennogs
Heroic Explorer
There is a petitionyou can sign in the hope of getting VR support added by codemasters.  https://www.change.org/p/codemasters-codemasters-please-add-vr-support-for-dirt-rally-2-0-on-pc-and-...

wanoennogs
Heroic Explorer

MowTin said:

I think it's likely that the sales of the VR versions were so low. 

X-Rebirth also supported VR but now X4 won't.  

It's likely that some devs who initially supported VR won't continue to support it because it's not profitable.

That's why I think Oculus should do more to help devs port games to VR. 

VR support was added a long time after the game was relased.  A lot of people like myself already owned the game so getting VR support was a bonus. I am sure VR support added extra sales to the people who didn't already have the game.  Adding VR support to Dirt Rally 2 will also increase sales.
I guess the argument is will the cost of adding VR support be recuperated by the extra sales.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

There is a petitionyou can sign in the hope of getting VR support added by codemasters.  https://www.change.org/p/codemasters-codemasters-please-add-vr-support-for-dirt-rally-2-0-on-pc-and-...

There was similar calls for a petition when F1 2017 didn't have VR. We were told F1 2018 might have VR, but that didn't happen and I think it's obvious that CodeMasters isn't bothered about VR. They will continue to have a big following in Pancake F1 series, so do you really think they care what VR players think? They obviously didn't make a great deal of money on the Dirt Rally VR, even though it got rave reviews..

Some devs just want big money from wider audiences, it's as simple as that. I won't buy their games until they add VR, but do you really think they care about it. Don't waste your time with the petition, it won't make a difference..