cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Sony Pose A Threat to Oculus VR?

alimasri
Honored Guest
If the speculation in this article is true, I think it might pose a threat. People who own a PS4 would rather get a VR headset that is already compatible with their console than another one.

Competition is inevitable, but would it negatively affect Oculus? For consumers it's an advantage because prices will drop and more features will appear.
59 REPLIES 59

saviornt
Protege
I've said this before and I'll say it again, in the upcoming revisions of both the PS4 and Xbox, we will see front-side HDMI display ports for devices such as HMD's and AR headsets.

Now, whether or not Sony or even M$ will want to get in on VR, my guess is that they will. However, one critical issue though is that the console developers are limiting FPS caps to 30fps. I can't even imagine what this would feel like in VR 😐 They could easily adapt the drivers and API so that the consoles could support the display (both systems are now based on x86 architecture if i'm not mistaken).

Give it some time. My business instinct would be to let OVR do all of the ground-breaking research; let them do all of the hardwork, and then they will come out with their own models. I just hope they have an HMD-standard (like a USB standard), so that the OVR could work on the PS4, or the Sony HMD could work on the PC.

Competition in this field would be great for everyone, especially the consumers, since it would push the price down and quality up.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

KBK
Protege
"alejux" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:
I'm not so afraid of Sony coming out with a superior product.

The worse situation is them beating us to market with a bad experience that could taint consumer's opinion of VR.

Unless they're insane as well as inept, I don't see them releasing anything anytime soon.

We've seen the challenges of making games for VR, both in processing power requirements with the high frame rates and the entire change in game design needed in order to give players a good VR experience. I just can't see SONY releasing a VR HMD for the PS4 this year. There is no content we're aware of and I find it highly doubtful that all the challenges that developers are having to go through right now with the OR were all fixed and taken care of in secret by SONY and one or more game companies.

Nah, I bet anything that if they do produce a good VR HMD, it won't be released for another 2 or 3 years. I would even go as far as thinking they would release a new , more power version of the PS4 to go with it (I.E.: PS-VR).

yep, we've been through this discussion before.

The expectation is that the minimum Sony will have to commit to is a upgraded PS4, like a PS4/2, or PS4/VR or something like that. Something where the architecture has been streamlined for VR use, as right now, there's near a 100% chance that their current set-up cannot get to a low enough loop latency, and/or high enough image fidelity...as it is.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

lossofmercy
Honored Guest
They could just lower the quality of the image...

saviornt
Protege
Both consoles' hardware are fully capable at running at the frame-rates necessary if you look at the actual hardware. Therefore, the FPS limitation is either set by the game developers (so they can use the horsepower for better graphics) or set up in firmware, which can easily be upgraded by a firmware push.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

Anonymous
Not applicable
saw someone post this on reddit, it was quite humorous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ

(lots of swearing, but hilarious)

cerulianbaloo
Honored Guest
I think it will, Sony has a good track record enlisting indies, in other words small experiences suited to VR. Specifically I'm thinking of that game they released for the PS3 Desura which included Move support where you controlled a hand to solve puzzles. It looked quite good for a PS3 title, and I can see Sony utilizing indie games like this (and other less demanding titles to hit that 60 fps) as showoff demos for the headset. They've already got Jonathan Blow's next game The Witness which will presumably have VR support (he posted sbs screenshots of it recently). With as many indie contacts that they have, in addition to the technical wizardry of Sony Santa Monica and Naughty Dog, they have a mighty arsenal of devs to make great content for VR. The question is will they continue to support the technology a year down the road once it's released if it doesn't make a huge impact, or will it fade into obscurity like the Move. Speaking of the latter, now would be a good time to reinvigorate that device's potentials!

genetransfer
Explorer
"alimasri" wrote:
If the speculation in this article is true, I think it might pose a threat. People who own a PS4 would rather get a VR headset that is already compatible with their console than another one.

Competition is inevitable, but would it negatively affect Oculus? For consumers it's an advantage because prices will drop and more features will appear.

I think they are only a threat if they give a better experience than oculus and if they also support pc (at an affordable price)(and an easy to use sdk). I think that they would have to hobble the graphics of the current consoles to enable vr, and in a few years when pc massively out performs the consoles I guess we will see a ps5 and xboxtwo to meet the demand for vr at it's finest. but who really knows they are all smart cookies but hopefully in the meantime more people will realise pc's aren't that scary.

barath
Honored Guest
I doubt it, there's 285 MILLION people with HIGH end gaming computers, That's more then ps3+ps4+360+Xbone COMBINED so I doubt a VR head set for just the PS4 would pose any threat. Now if they made it for PC also then it "could" pose a threat but I would back Oculus since they were first and so far are doing exactly what I'd love from a VR headset.
Click, like & follow development. https://www.facebook.com/Guile3d

Anonymous
Not applicable
I for one HOPE that they provide some good competition....

Anything that leads to more wide-spread adoption of VR is good in my book. (more press, more devs, more components readily produced etc etc)

I worry about Sony muddying the water however...
The reason Oculus haven't gone commercial just yet is because they want to put their best foot forward... they realize that they have to overcome the stigmatism associated with "90s VR", things have to be perfect or VR might go back into obscurity for another 10-20 years (lol).

If Sony come out with comparable technology and even if its just for PS4 and has a decent price point that's a good thing, I wonder if given the limited power of the hardware they are working with whether they will be able to hit all the high notes needed for the experience Valve and Oculus envision.

lossofmercy
Honored Guest
"barath" wrote:
I doubt it, there's 285 MILLION people with HIGH end gaming computers,

285 million people? Somehow, I doubt that.