cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Sony Pose A Threat to Oculus VR?

alimasri
Honored Guest
If the speculation in this article is true, I think it might pose a threat. People who own a PS4 would rather get a VR headset that is already compatible with their console than another one.

Competition is inevitable, but would it negatively affect Oculus? For consumers it's an advantage because prices will drop and more features will appear.
59 REPLIES 59

Crespo80
Explorer
But Sony's expertise is in the "dual microdisplays + very advanced multi-element lenses" field, and the costs are way much higher than the "cheap single smartphone display + cheap plastic lenses" approach of the Rift!
If Sony wants to cut costs down to the Rift level, it has to unashamedly copy the Oculus Rift itself and throw off the windows all their previous work on their personal viewers

lossofmercy
Honored Guest
Yes, and they will do it.

And its not binary, the hmz line will still exist, it will just face competition from avegant.

Crespo80
Explorer
You're probably right!
Anyway, I don't really see a threat for Oculus, I may even see an opportunity, if Sony can give a comparable high quality experience.
I mean, Sony and Oculus will play in different non-overlapping markets: Sony on the console side (which Oculus couldn't reach anyway because it'd need Sony's permission), and Oculus on the PC/Steam side (in which Sony hasn't never been interested at all).
If Sony makes the boom with VR on the console side, and people become aware of it, Oculus is ready to take advantage of that with a comparable very high quality very well supported and very cheap HMD for the virgin PC market :mrgreen:

Anonymous
Not applicable
My thought was on the initial experience. Oculus HAS to beat Sony to release.

If Sony comes out with a product that induces motion sickness, is sub-par in any way really, Oculus will suffer for it, I have no doubt.

Crespo80
Explorer
yes, that's for sure, in order for Oculus to take advantage of Sony's presence in the VR market, Sony must do it right!

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'm not so afraid of Sony coming out with a superior product.

The worse situation is them beating us to market with a bad experience that could taint consumer's opinion of VR.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

alejux
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
I'm not so afraid of Sony coming out with a superior product.

The worse situation is them beating us to market with a bad experience that could taint consumer's opinion of VR.

Unless they're insane as well as inept, I don't see them releasing anything anytime soon.

We've seen the challenges of making games for VR, both in processing power requirements with the high frame rates and the entire change in game design needed in order to give players a good VR experience. I just can't see SONY releasing a VR HMD for the PS4 this year. There is no content we're aware of and I find it highly doubtful that all the challenges that developers are having to go through right now with the OR were all fixed and taken care of in secret by SONY and one or more game companies.

Nah, I bet anything that if they do produce a good VR HMD, it won't be released for another 2 or 3 years. I would even go as far as thinking they would release a new , more power version of the PS4 to go with it (I.E.: PS-VR).

lossofmercy
Honored Guest
At worst it will be winter of 2015.

The biggest thing holding sony back is the ps4 not being able to output 1080p with good graphics higher than 60fps. Otherwise they are in a good position to push VR.

kevinm1278
Explorer
The PS4 can barely run a game in high quality at 1080p and a constant 60 fps, so I'd say no. That being said, it could be a threat to VR in general if they bring out an inferior product that gives the public a bad taste of VR.

360FOV
Honored Guest
I don't think Sony can offer a product at a low enough price for most of their customers to buy it. The HMZT3 is at a $1000 range. So, if they want to make a mass product based on this technology, there is a lot of fat to trim if you want the price consumer friendly.

From the article:
The general impression was that resolution was comparable between Sony’s and Valve’s unit (reported to use two 1080p panels) and that head tracking accuracy was very close.

If this is true then the PS4 will have an impossible time trying to deliver stereo 1080p at an acceptable frame rate for low persistence. I would expect that it could only deliver 30 fps at this resolution, hence a very negative VR experience. Unless, they are planning on only supporting very low demand games.

Also from the article:

If there’s one blue chip company out there that’s best placed to challenge Oculus VR in the immersive VR gaming space, it’s probably Sony.

This statement is misleading. They are not on the same platform so they are not in direct competition with each other. If they attract developers into VR this would be great news for Oculus.

Also from the article:

If we hadn’t already made it abundantly clear already, this information is unconfirmed and in no way delivered via official sources.

No shit, unconfirmed is an understatement! :lol:
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"