cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating HDMI signal for demo purposes

Darius
Honored Guest
I am trying to figure out what it needs to show the video output of the DK2 on a projector/beamer (or large extra monitor for that matter). I have a BENQ projector (1920x1080) which supports throughput of videosignals but that doesn't work in combination with the DK2. So now I was wondering: if I buy a hardware HDMI duplicator which sends a signal to the projector and the DK2, is this going to work? Or will there be latency of some kind? For example this duplicator? Any of you have experience or know a solution?

Description of the duplicator:
Split an HDMI audio and video signal to two displays simultaneously. The ST122HDMI2 2-Port High Speed HDMI Splitter and Signal Amplifier lets you share a single HDMI source signal with audio between two HDMI or DVI (using HDMI to DVI adapter - see Accessories) enabled displays simultaneously.Supporting True HD 1080p video resolutions, the HDMI splitter acts as a distribution amplifier that enables you to situate your HDMI-capable displays up to 50ft (15m) away from the splitter, and features 3.5mm audio connections, giving you the option of sending your accompanying audio signal through the HDMI cable, or through a separate channel.The HDMI splitter is easy to install and use with no software or configuration required, for a completely plug-and-play setup that can be used with HDMI output devices such as Blu-ray players or desktop/laptop computers
6 REPLIES 6

Darius
Honored Guest
Update: I have removed the YouTube footage. The reason: using the HDMI duplicator does not work as expected after all and despite me succeeding at first I can not repeat a succesful setup. Not sure if the firmware update on my DK2 has made the change. Most people reacted that the PC will not be able to detect the DK2 through the duplicator and indeed this seems the case. Some demo's even report that in an error message. Besides that: when you succeed the image will be flipped sideways (due to the type of screens inside the DK2). So I guess you will have to look for other solutions (Open Broadcast software?) or wait until the right type of hardware is there.

boggers
Honored Guest
I used to run my DK1 through a DVI splitter and it worked fine (no luck with HDMI splitter though) but this was back when there was no OVR driver install. Recently I had to make a build that supported DK2, so I installed the oculus drivers and config utility, and now the rift can not be detected by the config utility through the DVI splitter.

This would not matter at all, since it still displays on the 2nd screen and headset correctly, except that being unable to detect the device also disables the head tracking. :shock:

Anyone know if this Is a known issue or if there's any fix in the works?

kojack
MVP
MVP
Any form of signal duplication external to the pc is going to have to deal with a sideways picture, since the rift is expecting a sideways signal on the hdmi. I don't think many hdmi duplicators will have a rotation option.

DK1 will work fine because it's screen is addressed as landscape orientation.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RoyMi6
Honored Guest
I can 100% confirm that OBS is the way to get the DK2 to duplicate it's output to a second screen for when demos do not support Direct to Rift and the application hasn't got built in screen duplication.

Simply run your projector from one output from the PC (DVI/HDMI) and the Rift from another connection (DVI/HDMI).

Do not use any kind of splitter and simply use OBS, freely available for download from here (https://obsproject.com/) and it works absolutely perfectly. Just add the application you want to capture and then "preview" the steam.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, i dont know is really a bug or incorrect setup. I starting use OBS for record my gameplay with my usb webcam, i configure the scenes for show only one eyes of oculus, and the webcam in one corner. The problem is, when i start the game, the headtraking dont start, is an special conflict with the webcam. Because, when i shutdown the cam, the headtracking start, when the two is selected (HT and webcam), two think maybe ocurr. Or HeadTracking wont start, or start but the webcam not show the imagen. I use the rift in extend mode and my machine is a lenovo idepad y470 with two graphics card. I probed start OBS with the two cards and do the same. I really dont have an idea what happend

Anonymous
Not applicable
"RoyMi6" wrote:
I can 100% confirm that OBS is the way to get the DK2 to duplicate it's output to a second screen for when demos do not support Direct to Rift and the application hasn't got built in screen duplication.

Simply run your projector from one output from the PC (DVI/HDMI) and the Rift from another connection (DVI/HDMI).

Do not use any kind of splitter and simply use OBS, freely available for download from here (https://obsproject.com/) and it works absolutely perfectly. Just add the application you want to capture and then "preview" the steam.

This works perfectly!