cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eyesight doing weird things during and after VR - is it just me?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,

I've had my CV1 for a few days now and I've been using it for a good few hours at a time and I've started to notice some strange things with my eyes going on and just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar?
I have used the dk1,hd prototype, dk2 and Gear VR (Note4,5,S5) and I never really noticed it but I never used them solidly without taking them off for more than 30 mins or so and I do notice these things after prolonged use.

First one I noticed(Things close up): I find it hard to focus on things very close to my face if I lean to to inspect something. Feels like I'm missing macro from my lens. Using virtual desktop I watched a few 360 videos from youtube and then after 5 mins of watching the HUD popped back up and it was like I was seeing double for a few seconds while my eyes adjusted and it went back to normal.

Second, more interesting things after VR: So I'm getting pretty into Lucky's Tale, played that for a few hours before bed and then jumped straight into bed in pitch black night and my vision felt like everything was moving on a dolly cam like in lucky's tale, felt like I was having some super mild, nerdy trip but soon ignored it and fell asleep. I've also had a few moments today at work where for spilt seconds it feels like I'm subconsciously questioning reality and depth of things? That one is a bit harder to explain. 

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything weird like this? Would be interesting to hear some stories.

...Or maybe that friendly man I met down the alley sold me the wrong kind of mushrooms. /s 

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have noticed that my eyes will focus differently on objects in real life after using VR for a while. Everything looks just a bit farther away, but clearer than it did before. I'm guessing this is a side-effect of the VR experience always being a bit blurry and my eyes trying their best to get it in focus. This effect is still slightly there at times.

Initially I also experienced some weird "Burn-in" of SDE-pixels when closing my eyes or being in a dark room, as if I had been looking at the sun through a screendoor. Could also very well have been a psychological thing. This effect has now gone away.

And I used to have sore eye muscles after using VR as if I had been straining my eyes, but this effect is now also gone.

I think I'm starting to get my VR legs.

Edit: I also see objects blurred in VR when leaning in real close, I think this is a limitation of technology, not our eyes.

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
Have you checked your IPD? incorrect IPD setting can lead to all kinds of weird stuff in my experience.

Anonymous
Not applicable
IPD is already maxed out at 70 for me and cannot be set any higher even though that's what I probably need.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked your IPD? incorrect IPD setting can lead to all kinds of weird stuff in my experience.

Yeah I've gone through the IPD thing on the menu a good 5 times or so and around 60 seems to be right but to be honest I can barely notice the difference a few clicks around that number

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

I've noticed my eyes feel like they've worked hard in VR, and suddenly they're getting a chance to relax.  I feel like my ocular muscles have been working out and now they're tired, which is probably exactly what's happening.  If your IPD is set incorrectly (or the device simply can't match your IPD) it's no wonder your eye muscles are strained.

I used to play Rock Band on a 11' projector screen.  After a few songs, I would look away and the whole room was moving.  A quick search says it's called motion aftereffect or motion adaptation. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_aftereffect
This could be an explanation for your nerdy 'Lucky's Tale' trip 🙂

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zoomie said:

I used to play Rock Band on a 11' projector screen.  After a few songs, I would look away and the whole room was moving.  A quick search says it's called motion aftereffect or motion adaptation. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_aftereffect
This could be an explanation for your nerdy 'Lucky's Tale' trip 🙂

Ahhh yeah this is what I was looking for, this is it :smile: I wonder if this also is the same thing I'm feeling with depth in real life as well. So strange but awesome!

VRRabbit
Protege
We call it sea legs in the Navy. After being aboard a ship for a long time when you go ashore it feels like the land is rocking like the ship. I think it partly has to do with your brain getting used to the effects your inner ear is telling it so it continues to persist even after your inner ear is no longer telling it there is motion. I think with VR your eyes work pretty much the same way. VRlegs.

Martinity
Heroic Explorer
Yes, I have definitively felt some side effects after using VR. Most notably is an almost tunnel vision like feeling right after taking off the headset. And yes, things appear blurry when I have them very close to my eyes in VR, mostly in Oculus Medium when I try to sculpt details and want to get in real close.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is like a throwback thread, looks like I've had my rift for a whole year now!

I don't have any of these problems anymore, stopped after a few weeks. My brain has gotten used to it 🙂