cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F8 Conference Cancelled Again

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

The F8 conference is where the Go, Rift-S and Quest were announced.

But in 2020 and 2021 it was cancelled due to covid.

This year it is cancelled again, but the reason Meta has given is: "will not hold F8 in 2022 while we gear up on new initiatives that are all tailored towards the next chapter of the internet, and the next chapter of our company too: building the metaverse"

https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-f8-2022-cancelled/

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2022/04/06/pausing-f8-in-2022/

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
2 REPLIES 2

Zenbane
Level 15

VR overall has been quite stagnant, moreso outside of Meta/Oculus/Facebook. Steam VR and PlayStation VR are far more grim in terms of output. 

At first I thought it was just me, but even talking with other old school VR enthusiasts, the feeling seems fairly consistent across the base. Even one of my favorite YouTubers, AngryJoe, recently mentioned that he has returned to standard gaming due to the lack of AAA titles for VR.

I think this is a good time for Meta to pause repeating the same goals and narrative, and instead focus on delivering the next phase. It's not like anyone else is delivering anything meaningful anyway. 🤔

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Yep, it definitely feels like it's stagnating.

It's been 4 months since the opening of Horizon Worlds, and I still can't try it because it's north america and canada only.

Not that I really want to, I could just use VR Chat instead (with less mediocre avatars).

If you think SteamVR and PSVR are grim, Windows MR is far worse.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2