cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face it, Oculus would have been squashed by the big boys

thornfoot
Explorer
I don't like facebook, but Oculus just got the cash and just as important the name recognition and product placement that comes with Facebook.

Oculus was about to fight an uphill battle where Consumer versions are obsolete before they even hit the shelves. It is hard to make a profit when everyone is always waiting for the next version. That makes for a very difficult playing field against the bottomless pockets of Sony and Microsoft who can afford to take the hit to garner market share. In fact MS would likely have tried to drive Oculus into bankruptcy, it is their MO.

Oculus now has the cash and the clout to get a custom UHD OLED display made that will give it the FOV and Refresh rates the community wants.
6 REPLIES 6

jasonatokc
Honored Guest
I agree

thornfoot
Explorer
crosspost from "What does this facebook thing mean":

It means Oculus can now custom order a flexible UHD 120hz OLED display. With the flex in the screen that will allow the screen to sit closer to your face and give you complete peripheral coverage at the same time allowing the optics to be much simpler.

It means all the Facebook users in the world will have heard of Oculus Rift in about the next 7 minutes. By next week most of them will want one.

It means high profile high dollar hardware startups (like NFL 50 yard line virtual seats) will integrate the Oculus Rift, where yesterday Sony or MS was the likely candidate even if their devices (inevitably) stink.

It means MS wont put OR out of business by sucking out all their (our backing) cash with an obscure and frivolous IP lawsuit.

Torian
Honored Guest
Valve were fully supporting OculusVR, them alone was enough to ensure Rift's stronghold on PC VR Gaming. But now they have Valve and Facebook, what could go wrong? 😄

thornfoot
Explorer
Valve is currently very concerned about MS cutting them out of the PC market. MS wants an 'apple store' all to themselves on the PC.

That is why Valve created the SteamOS, to hedge their bets in case MS tries to kick them off Windows. At least they will have a platform to operate on.

Valve may be a Big boy, but MS is truly the 800lb Gorilla.

Shadowless
Honored Guest
"thornfoot" wrote:
Valve is currently very concerned about MS cutting them out of the PC market. MS wants an 'apple store' all to themselves on the PC.

That is why Valve created the SteamOS, to hedge their bets in case MS tries to kick them off Windows. At least they will have a platform to operate on.

Valve may be a Big boy, but MS is truly the 800lb Gorilla.

I disagree, MS has diddly squat on the PC except the operating system.

thornfoot
Explorer
I'm not making that up or speculating. Valve actually said that was one of the main reasons for ValveOS.