cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Connect 2021 (October 28)

Zenbane
Level 15

This year's Facebook Connect will be virtual. It looks like we'll be able to register for attendance; details to come.

Facebook released news on this today. So now would be a fun time to start making some predictions!

Here is what I am expecting:

• Oculus Quest Pro news
  • VR Metaverse info
  • New Oculus VR Software projects

Above all, I am hoping that we once again have Carmack go unscripted. 😁

104 REPLIES 104

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Interesting stuff. A lot of people were absolutely certain that Quest Pro was going to go on sale immediately after the keynote like Quest 2 did. Personally, I'm not so desperate for new hardware, since Quest 2 covers my needs quite well. Anyway, I'll be interested to see more of what Cambria/Quest Pro will offer as it gets closer to release next year.

Does anyone know when the new Oculus games showcase happens?

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

There should be an oculus games showcase today ?
 I cant seem to find it if it is.
Looking forward for Carmack keynote.

Be good, die great !

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Less happy news: the Oculus brand is being retired.

https://www.facebook.com/boz/posts/well-the-cats-officially-out-of-the-bag-our-company-is-now-meta-t...

The Oculus Quest 2 is going to be the Meta Quest 2 starting in 2022. Everything is being moved to the Meta brand.

The Oculus brand was well known and had enough good will behind it to partly counteract the negative Facebook brand. I've seen so many people say things like "if I knew the Quest was a Facebook device, I wouldn't have bought it".

So Facebook (no, not calling them Meta any time soon) kills off the branding that has helped them.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Just saw someone on reddit point out that in the avatar presentation, the super detailed one was being viewed with a Rift-S.

Maybe that's why Facebook stopped selling Rift-S cables, they are hoarding them for themselves because it's what they still use internally.

🙂

or 😞  not really sure if that joke is supposed to be funny or sad.

This week I've had two people (a co-worker and a student) try on my Rift-S (after 6 weeks of Quest 2 development). Both had the same response: "this feels so much better!"

The Rift-S was killed off far too early.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

@KlodsBrik wrote:

There should be an oculus games showcase today ?
 I cant seem to find it if it is.
Looking forward for Carmack keynote.

When they talked a bit about Vertigo games and teased some upcoming announcements (After The Fall, presumably), I thought they mentioned to watch out for more in the upcoming games showcase.

Edit: She said "For more gaming updates, look out for the 2022 Oculus gaming showcase." My mistake, nothing more on that today.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not surprised by the retirement of the Oculus brand. The name was the last tie in to Palmer .

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

If he was still with the company, he'd try to call the metaverse The Oasis.

🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ryanality wrote:

Some exciting announcements in there to unpack! I'm looking forward to what you guys think as they spread.  🙂

I will tell you how I viewed the news today, but with a caveat - I am older generation and retired and really my interest in VR is strictly gaming. I do not care much for social media, and really nothing in the Metaverse they want to build really excites me as I doubt I would be a participant in it.

And to me it is sad to see the Oculus brand go - which as you know started out as a gaming company bringing Virtual Reality gaming into our homes. Some of my fondest gaming memories are from my first experience with the new Rift CV1 back in 2017. 

I was hopeful maybe there would be talk of a device more for gamers than anything. Don't know about this Cambria thing or what that might entail but somehow I don't think it will be the type of device that would interest me - perhaps it will who knows.

I can certainly see the younger generations more excited about this and what it brings 10 years or more down the road, so that is a good thing. I got way more years behind me than in front of me though so there is that. No doubt it will play a part in changing how people get together, collaborate together, and game together.

So I will continue on my path of VR gaming I am doing currently. I certainly wish you guys well in this venture and goal, but it is not something that will likely be for me. But who knows anything can happen I guess.

KlodsBrik
Level 11

dburne awww ❤️
Oculus becoming Meta and facebook app still being named facebook.
 Just company name is changing lol.
We Oculus users, the joke is on us instead of facebook as a media.

That said, I like what "might" become possible with this integration with soical experience.

Havnt posted anything on facebook since 2016, and only logged on by accident, or cause I really needed to see some importan posts from family.
Im not an instragram user or twitter user as well.
 I really dont have a need for it.

But vrchat was fun before it just became a hivemind of trolls.
With what "Meta" has of funds, I see that this might actually build into something usefull where one can be alone and only talk to friends if one encounters them along their way exploring Horizon.

VRchat has / had a lot of awesome instances. This brings a whole new amount of people / developers to oculus / meta ecosystem.

Im always positive and try to find what best outcomes is from changes.
 Im hopefull and somewhat sure this will bring a whole new level of awesommness to our beloved VR platform.

Be good, die great !

Shadowmask72
Level 15

So glad I still have my Oculus Tee-Shirt from these forums. Shoulda act as neat nostalgia one day...

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.