cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Connect 2021 (October 28)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

This year's Facebook Connect will be virtual. It looks like we'll be able to register for attendance; details to come.

Facebook released news on this today. So now would be a fun time to start making some predictions!

Here is what I am expecting:

• Oculus Quest Pro news
  • VR Metaverse info
  • New Oculus VR Software projects

Above all, I am hoping that we once again have Carmack go unscripted. 😁

104 REPLIES 104

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

The more I think bout it met a quest is reminding me of prior girlfriends and bad experiences.
 This could go either way ....

Be good, die great !

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I had a family event this afternoon (I am on vacation from work for a few days), so I missed the whole of todays presentation. I am watching it now trying to get caught up!

So far, the things I have seen:

• doubling down on the Metaverse (I am excited about this)
  • Oculus Home decorating is being brought to Quest, with the ability to use objects taken directly from the real world (I love this idea)
  • Some Oculus exclusives (new Blade & Sorcery game, GTA Andreas)
  • Horizon is the new brand (Horizon Home, Horizon Worlds, Horizon Workplaces)

I am happy with all of this; as the focus is on expanding the platform and overall software ecosystem in to something far more impactful and sustainable than simply "video games."

This is exactly what I have been hoping for since I first put the Rift on my head back in 2016. 🎊

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

aaannndd another personal favorite: Creators can own and sell their content!

I love this idea. Creators of digital "goods" are in high need of earning revenue for their creations. I am so glad that this will be a primary attribute of the new Metaverse.

I remember when Valve tried this by allowing Modders to sell any of their Skyrim Mods. The backlash was huge! After which Valve abandoned the project. Yet here we are all these years later with the VR Metaverse re-visiting this concept for content creators globally. Sometimes it really is all about "timing."

kojack
MVP
MVP

I haven't watched it yet, but there's a talk about the new Application SpaceWarp. In Quest apps that support it, an extra 70% compute power can be gained per frame. That sounds pretty cool.

It's like Asynchronous SpaceWarp (ASW) on the Rift, the Quest games run at half framerate and interpolate the frames to get it back up to full framerate.

https://www.facebookconnect.com/en-us/session/232bf87c-fba9-47c0-9799-ba7d84ae03c2/

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

@kojack wrote:

Less happy news: the Oculus brand is being retired.

https://www.facebook.com/boz/posts/well-the-cats-officially-out-of-the-bag-our-company-is-now-meta-t...

"if I knew the Quest was a Facebook device, I wouldn't have bought it".

So Facebook (no, not calling them Meta any time soon) kills off the branding that has helped them.

Yeah I can see that viewpoint. The only thing that keeps glaring at me from that example... is the fact that Facebook bought Oculus in 2014 and didn't release an official market product until 2016. So anyone who "bought Oculus only because they didn't know it was from Facebook" is essentially an "uninformed consumer." Who the heck spends hundreds (or thousands) of dollars in a product (Rift + PCVR) without doing a very simple Google search ahead of time?

One would literally have to perform a completely blind purchase to have acquired any Oculus product without knowing it was from Facebook.

So while it is true that the Oculus brand has helped Facebook, the name change to Meta can't be judged based on the buying habits of willfully uninformed consumers. And surely we would not want to suggest that Facebook should continue "tricking" people in to buying Oculus products under the guise of it being "not Facebook" lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kojack wrote:

I haven't watched it yet, but there's a talk about the new Application SpaceWarp. In Quest apps that support it, an extra 70% compute power can be gained per frame. That sounds pretty cool.

It's like Asynchronous SpaceWarp (ASW) on the Rift, the Quest games run at half framerate and interpolate the frames to get it back up to full framerate.

https://www.facebookconnect.com/en-us/session/232bf87c-fba9-47c0-9799-ba7d84ae03c2/

So Quest games were not using Oculus ASW ?

Only in Link/Airlink mode as far as I can find. Native Quest didn't have it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

inovator
Consultant

Accept for gta for me this connect was the most boring  and disappointing ever. I knew it was coming but I had very little interest personally in the metaverse since it will be here when I'm on my way out. I was at least hoping for a high end almost ready for release.

@inovator wrote:

Accept for gta for me this connect was the most boring  and disappointing ever. I knew it was coming but I had very little interest personally in the metaverse since it will be here when I'm on my way out. I was at least hoping for a high end almost ready for release.

Hmm, really? Did you see the live chat with the Astronauts? They live-streamed to space and then offered a real Space Walk experience for viewers to enjoy in VR.

I dunno, I tend to rank real life outer space experiences greater than a video game. Including GTA lol

I'm into the hardware more than the metaverse, but I can see that the metaverse is a bigger deal.

Same with getting my first PC back in the early 90s, didn't really take much notice of the Internet at the time, just the hardware specs. Hardware will always be important but honestly it's secondary.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and order a Quest 2 to replace my Quest, I'm guessing the Cambria will be early next year, possibly coinciding with the first use of Meta branded hardware, and that'll probably replace my Rift-S, if it turns out to be a decent headset.

The metaverse still doesn't interest me like the hardware does, but I can see it'll be bigger than the hardware, even for me.