cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

...Letting their less than 13 year old child to play VR - is against the ToS. Making fake accounts - against the ToS. Using a fake name is against the ToS - etc etc. Considering this is the base account - this would effect their whole account. Its no longer split. What you create now will be for public viewing where Steam for example would be not showing it as a public viewing. While you may still start turning off settings - not everyone is going to know how. I can't wait for the ban wave to happen when people report the kids - maybe I go out of my way to make this happen? (No I wont be that way, its just funny someone could if they really want to and it be easy to know because of voice chat).

Can you show me where in the ToS it says that you can't let a child try your headset? I'm pretty sure the 13 year-old restriction is just for creating an account. Also, the default setting is not to make your real name publicly viewable. The default setting is that only people on your friends list can see it, and you can easily change that so that nobody else can see it.

Arguing against the changes is fine, but you should really review the official announcement and FAQ so that you have your facts straight rather than arguing against a strawman.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

Mradr said:

...Letting their less than 13 year old child to play VR - is against the ToS. Making fake accounts - against the ToS. Using a fake name is against the ToS - etc etc. Considering this is the base account - this would effect their whole account. Its no longer split. What you create now will be for public viewing where Steam for example would be not showing it as a public viewing. While you may still start turning off settings - not everyone is going to know how. I can't wait for the ban wave to happen when people report the kids - maybe I go out of my way to make this happen? (No I wont be that way, its just funny someone could if they really want to and it be easy to know because of voice chat).

Can you show me where in the ToS it says that you can't let a child try your headset? I'm pretty sure the 13 year-old restriction is just for creating an account. Also, the default setting is not to make your real name publicly viewable. The default setting is that only people on your friends list can see it, and you can easily change that so that nobody else can see it.

Arguing against the changes is fine, but you should really review the official announcement and FAQ so that you have your facts straight rather than arguing against a strawman.

“We put a warning on right when you put it on and the age of 13 was something that made a lot of sense when we became a part of Facebook, their age is 13 as well. And so we just felt ‘let’s start at 13, let’s evolve the technology more, let’s build more confidence, in the health and safety side of it. And eventually, one day, we definitely want to have Oculus for kids, especially for all the educational use of this.”
This product is not a toy and should not be used by children under the
age of 13, as the headset is not sized for children and improper sizing
can lead to discomfort or adverse health effects, and younger children
are in a critical period in visual development. Adults should make sure
children (age 13 and older) use the headset in accordance with these
health and safety warnings including making sure the headset is used
as described in the Before Using Your VR System above and the Safe Environment
section below. Adults should monitor children (age 13 and older) who are using or
have used the headset for any of the symptoms described in these health and safety
warnings (including those described under the Discomfort and Repetitive Stress Injury
sections), and should limit the time children spend using the headset and ensure they
take breaks during use. Prolonged use should be avoided, as this could negatively
impact hand-eye coordination, balance, and multi-tasking ability. Adults should monitor
children closely during and after use of the headset for any decrease in these abilities. 

<13 + bud - what a joke xD Where is your strawman hat my friend:)? Maybe this was an attack against me:)? Same words used by Zen.... so I assume you are trying to attack me xD 

Jokes a side - yes both account creation and usage of the product is 13+ . My understanding if you want a family member to use it they will require them to also create an account - link to your main account - so they are "ok" to use the headset. The benefit is you can have more than one account for speration needs - but still access to the same game list.

Yea and people are going to know that when they create this account? Kids know very little for what it really means (even if they say they do). You can look at C19 for example. Kids ok to go back to school - but they never talk about when they get others sick or who would be paying the cost of the medical bills. Grandma doesnt even know what are "Settings". You have too much faith even people in their adult life know what it always means when they create stuff. They simply just flow though the motions to make it work. They will just start adding people - its hard not I assume to just add random people thinking its a friend list when its more than that.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvPXg1HHC4Q

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

nalex66 said:

Mradr said:

“We put a warning on right when you put it on and the age of 13 was something that made a lot of sense when we became a part of Facebook, their age is 13 as well. And so we just felt ‘let’s start at 13, let’s evolve the technology more, let’s build more confidence, in the health and safety side of it. And eventually, one day, we definitely want to have Oculus for kids, especially for all the educational use of this.”
This product is not a toy and should not be used by children under the
age of 13, as the headset is not sized for children and improper sizing
can lead to discomfort or adverse health effects, and younger children
are in a critical period in visual development. Adults should make sure
children (age 13 and older) use the headset in accordance with these
health and safety warnings including making sure the headset is used
as described in the Before Using Your VR System above and the Safe Environment
section below. Adults should monitor children (age 13 and older) who are using or
have used the headset for any of the symptoms described in these health and safety
warnings (including those described under the Discomfort and Repetitive Stress Injury
sections), and should limit the time children spend using the headset and ensure they
take breaks during use. Prolonged use should be avoided, as this could negatively
impact hand-eye coordination, balance, and multi-tasking ability. Adults should monitor
children closely during and after use of the headset for any decrease in these abilities. 

<13 + bud - what a joke xD Where is your strawman hat my friend:)? Maybe this was an attack against me:)? Same words used by Zen.... so I assume you are trying to attack me xD 

Jokes a side - yes both account creation and usage of the product is 13+ . My understanding if you want a family member to use it they will require them to also create an account - link to your main account - so they are "ok" to use the headset. The benefit is you can have more than one account for speration needs - but still access to the same game list.

Yea and people are going to know that when they create this account? Kids know very little for what it really means (even if they say they do). You can look at C19 for example. Kids ok to go back to school - but they never talk about when they get others sick or who would be paying the cost of the medical bills. Grandma doesnt even know what are "Settings". You have too much faith even people in their adult life know what it always means when they create stuff. They simply just flow though the motions to make it work. They will just start adding people - its hard not I assume to just add random people thinking its a friend list when its more than that.

Good grief. You don't need to create a Facebook account for any kids or any other adults that want a go on your Rift/S.

The solution REALLY isn't rocket surgery. Let them all use your one.

I've seen people on Reddit this last week having kittens about this too, and on here as well. Create a Facebook account (whether you choose to use a real name or a nome de plume is completely up to you - if Facebook lock your account because you're not using your real name tell them you can't do so due to a violent ex partner) if you don't have one, use your usual Facebook account if you do happen to have one.

What the fuck do people think Oculus/Facebook are going to do? Refuse access to your games if your height changes? lmfao ???

Kids can use your account. Your missus can use your account. Your friends and relatives can use your account. ABSOLUTELY ANYONE THAT TRIES OUT YOUR RIFT/S/QUEST CAN USE YOUR ACCOUNT!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just recently downloaded all of the Worzel Gummidge episodes. LOVED that programme when I was a kid and still love it now! Jon Pertwee was amazing.

NsurgNt
Protege
Anybody else smell that??? Everytime I come to this thread, I smell the fetid odor of DC. And of course we all know by now that DC isn't in the state of Washington. And it certainly isn't the 10 square miles ceded by the states to be the seat of the Government. And we should also know that it is not the city that had a crack smoking mayor who was reelected. And if you have been following along, we also know that it doesn't mean DONT CARE. And DC is not always free, sometimes it is paid for. I just want to state for the record that perhaps I went a little overboard with my earlier statement about being UTTERLY CLUELESS, CLUELESS was more than adequate to express my thoughts on not knowing what RIF stands for. A basic google search would have been enough to bring some understanding, if not total clarity, simply by looking at the first search result. But on the brightside they almost figured it out in 3 guesses. So there is that, as a very famous ghostbuster once said. Of course I am only back to defend my honor and to spray a little air freshener and as I have stated in previous posts. To MAKE FACEBOOK GREAT AGAIN! Yeeeeaaaaaaah! 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
A strawman argument is an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

Like when you said: “ What you create now will be for public viewing where Steam for example would be not showing it as a public viewing. ... I be horrified to fine out they are being stalk just because they had to create a public facing account and them not knowing better.”

This makes it sound like Facebook is putting kids in danger, but it isn’t true. When you create a Facebook account and link it to an Oculus headset, the default setting is not to have your real name public-facing.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
  Dogs Cats even stuffed toys all seem to be ok to have a Facebook account and Facebook seem quite happy to allow it which begs the question if i make one for my hamster can i link my quest to that ?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Dogs Cats stuffed toys all seem to be ok to have a Facebook account and Facebook seem quite happy to allow it which begs the question if i make one for my hamster can i link my quest to that ?

I think your Hamster would have to be the user, but maybe you could share it with your hamster. There again, I don't think one Oculus Quest works well if you intend to share it with family members.

NsurgNt
Protege
Oh, almost slipped my small mind. The word NEVER was recently used, and apparently its meaning is not fully understood, so I thought perhaps i could help with that. You know, while i'm trying to disperse that funky odor.

never
adverb
not ever; at no time

Did anyone actually believe "never" meant "for all time" instead of "until it is financially viable"?

Please see the above defintion for your free moment of clarity.

For everyone else who knows the meaning of the word NEVER, sorry to have wasted your time.

Don't forget to MAKE FACEBOOK GREAT AGAIN Yeeeeeaaaaaah!