cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

RattyUK
Trustee
I put my Rift S up for sale on Gumtree yesterday - I really have no wish to continue a 'relationship' with facebook.

But it has been fun using the Rifts - I think HP get my next donation to VR.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RattyUK said:

I put my Rift S up for sale on Gumtree yesterday - I really have no wish to continue a 'relationship' with facebook.

But it has been fun using the Rifts - I think HP get my next donation to VR.

That's weird, someone just PM'ed me a comment from a poster saying no one has "any" problems with Facebook login for VR? How strange.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yep, that was me who said that! And I stand by my comment  🙂

But just so we're clear:
  • Someone is taking a screenshot of my comments
  • PM'ing my comment to someone who has me on Ignore
  • Then that person reads my comment, and responds to it publicly

I like it!  ❤️

sfkvtslwkxhv.gif

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Time we had a AMA together for a final face off before I move on.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Cdots
Protege
I threw a blind eye to this. Backer since start and own all the Oculus products.  I must say I can't commit to this company once I'm forced to use Facebook. As a gamer my entire life I've had 2 stalkers and I can tell you its not fun at all.
I'm sad as I've fought for this company since the start and have never cheated once nor have I ever looked thru the lens of another product. I'm gonna wait until the last day and hope things change.

That said, I have no idea what other headset to purchase either. I see hive comments so I may go look it up on YouTube after this.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Cdots said:

I threw a blind eye to this. Backer since start and own all the Oculus products.  I must say I can't commit to this company once I'm forced to use Facebook. As a gamer my entire life I've had 2 stalkers and I can tell you its not fun at all.
I'm sad as I've fought for this company since the start and have never cheated once nor have I ever looked thru the lens of another product. I'm gonna wait until the last day and hope things change.

That said, I have no idea what other headset to purchase either. I see hive comments so I may go look it up on YouTube after this.

I can understand (and respect)  your position. As one that has followed the operation since the 2011 on another forum, posters were ask for help on how to build VR headsets, back in the day, I can only image what it must be like walking away from a brand you have "fought for". The reality is harsh, and all I can hope for is that for saner heads will prevail and encourage FB to look at another way to achieve their goals.  

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Cdots said:

That sucks! I can relate to the "stalker" situation. I had one person from a Forum stalk me to my place of business. They started messaging my employer. Then I had another person stalk me from Facebook. This person showed up at a restaurant I was at. That was the last time I did a "check-in" !!

This was all years ago. Nothing bad ever came of it. I can handle stalkers. But it's not fun having to constantly "look over your shoulder," so I can certainly appreciate the need to take extra preventative measures.

edmg
Trustee

Pixie40 said:

I wouldn't either, which is why it came as a surprise that it is considered one. Then I stopped and thought about it, and realized that the Steam Forums, ability to upload videos and stream directly to Steam, and instant messaging with friends mean that yes, Steam is indeed a social media platform.

I think I may have posted twice to discussion forums on Steam. Otherwise I just use it to buy games and ignore all the 'social' stuff.

The big difference is that it's very hard to get banned from Steam and lose your games unless you're committing credit card fraud or have some other kind of financial issue. You can get banned from Facebook because it's Tuesday.

So I'm kind of OK with having thousands of dollars of games tied to a Steam account. I'm not at all OK to have thousands of dollars of hardware and games tied to a Facebook account.

Which means the Quest will be my last Oculus headset. I'd have ordered the Quest 2 on day one if not for the requirement to link it to Facebook.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

edmg said:
The big difference is that it's very hard to get banned from Steam and lose your games unless you're committing credit card fraud or have some other kind of financial issue. You can get banned from Facebook because it's Tuesday.

Unless you committed Credit Card Fraud on Tuesday, then no, you wouldn't get banned from Facebook.

In fact, I would say that Facebook probably has more relaxed rules than Steam. For example, I challenge anyone to start a Flat Earth community discussion on Steam. There's plenty on Facebook. Let me know how that works out.
 😉 

HaselHoof
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

That sucks! I can relate to the "stalker" situation. I had one person from a Forum stalk me to my place of business. They started messaging my employer. Then I had another person stalk me from Facebook. This person showed up at a restaurant I was at. That was the last time I did a "check-in" !!

This was all years ago. Nothing bad ever came of it. I can handle stalkers. But it's not fun having to constantly "look over your shoulder," so I can certainly appreciate the need to take extra preventative measures.

You would'nt be talking about kevinw729 would you 🙂