cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Many people had been hoping/claiming that Sony was actually releasing the PSVR2 @RedRizla - but the actual empirical information that they were "starting" the process came over these month with this news of the hiring of managers of the project! Along with the patent rumor that the new PSVR2 concept would be a "true" Hybrid, with standalone and wireless connectivity. This kind of makes the claims of the Quest hybrid nature fall flat - and I can understand that with their much bigger install base (over 5m) and far bigger software investment  - Sony is the bigger threat to Oculus than Valve, HP/Microsoft and HTC combined.

Regarding XBSS and Microsoft - the internal exec team are adamant that after the failure of their partnership with Oculus on the dropped cross over project, that VR will not play a part in their console plans. However in partnering with HP and Valve on the Reverb, the door is open to a sneaky bundle deal if the need for a VR component to their console is needed to battle Sony. 

This kind of places the Facebook strategy into perspective - in alienating themselves with previous partners such as Samsung, Lenovo and Microsoft the need to create and "hold" their own ecosystem sooner rather than later is essential to be able to weather the storm of new MR innovation round the corner. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Maybe Facebook needs to be stopped - now I got an 8-year-old constantly asking when he can play Vader Immortal Episode 2! I blame Facebook for these VR drugs! Soon no one cares for the real world anymore! All will be logged into their Facebook accounts forever! 

The Matrix

😄 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Today's Thread Activity Report: I just deleted 42 "new post" notifications, which might be 20% less than yesterday, although Kojack did merge one thread yesterday kinda artificially increasing yesterday's post count.

In short: not sure posting activity has been significantly decreased yet - in this thread!  B) 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
It has been manic @RuneSR2 - I have to also say I am surprised how even-sided opinion has been in the whole. It will be fascinating to see how the news of the developments in OC7 will either reignite or just ignored these issues.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
What did you expect @RuneSR2? Everyone was waiting for news on the next best PC -VR headset and you went and posted this :disappointed:

Could you not have found news about a Half Dome PC -VR headset from Oculus anywhere on the internet  😛

Maybe next month. Maybe next year. Who knows when it will be.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

What did you expect @RuneSR2? Everyone was waiting for news on the next best PC -VR headset and you went and posted this :disappointed:

Could you not have found news about a Half Dome PC -VR headset from Oculus anywhere on the internet  😛

- and now we know that Half Dome needs a Facebook account. No account no Dome  o:)

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

- and now we know that Half Dome needs a Facebook account. No account no Dome  o:)

We need the Half Dome first and maybe the foveated rendering. Then lets decide what we do after that 😛  

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Freeman.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
4dtgtqajlvi8.gif
WAAAGH!

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

I’m.