cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

A strawman argument is an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

Like when you said: “ What you create now will be for public viewing where Steam for example would be not showing it as a public viewing. ... I be horrified to fine out they are being stalk just because they had to create a public facing account and them not knowing better.”

This makes it sound like Facebook is putting kids in danger, but it isn’t true. When you create a Facebook account and link it to an Oculus headset, the default setting is not to have your real name public-facing.

It was just on the news - it happens everyday - it doesnt have to be FB doing or not - we all know they're not trying to do that - but it happens. A girl was stalk under someone elses facebook account. The account it self wasn't the real users account - but she was unaware of the problem. Even the creepypasta guy had it just happen to him. Both victims of a crime commented by someone else.

Drama over facebook bulling has kill kids.

Under the ToS it has to be the real name - other wise it wont match up to your CC and other factors. Im sorry you are unaware of the situations that are out there.

Also, didn't you say the 13 thing was false? I guess I was right after all with proof. Or will you pull Zen method and ignore xD?

Blue_Goblin
Honored Guest
The amount of simping for Facebook throughout this thread... jfc.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
4xhsqwecb4yh.gif
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

nalex66 said:

A strawman argument is an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

Like when you said: “ What you create now will be for public viewing where Steam for example would be not showing it as a public viewing. ... I be horrified to fine out they are being stalk just because they had to create a public facing account and them not knowing better.”

This makes it sound like Facebook is putting kids in danger, but it isn’t true. When you create a Facebook account and link it to an Oculus headset, the default setting is not to have your real name public-facing.

It was just on the news - it happens everyday - it doesnt have to be FB doing or not - we all know they're not trying to do that - but it happens. A girl was stalk under someone elses facebook account. The account it self wasn't the real users account - but she was unaware of the problem.

Under the ToS it has to be the real name - other wise it wont match up to your CC and other factors.

As I've already mentioned you DON'T have to use your real name. You can use any name you want as long as it isn't offensive.

If Facebook pipe up and start complaining then tell them you can't use your real name due to an abusive ex partner. Job done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

Mradr said:

nalex66 said:

It was just on the news - it happens everyday - it doesnt have to be FB doing or not - we all know they're not trying to do that - but it happens. A girl was stalk under someone elses facebook account. The account it self wasn't the real users account - but she was unaware of the problem.

Under the ToS it has to be the real name - other wise it wont match up to your CC and other factors.

As I've already mentioned you DON'T have to use your real name. You can use any name you want as long as it isn't offensive.

If Facebook pipe up and start complaining then tell them you can't use your real name due to an abusive ex partner. Job done.

I sent in a ticket with this thread to both FB and Oculus to see what their stance will be.  Same with kids under 13 and so on. It still breaks the ToS. You either are with the ToS or against it. You can't say its ok - then go break it LOL.Now that is irony xD

But I am still right about the Age 13 - that was consider "unknown" - "false", and or "straw-man hat" by many of you xD Just goes to show I am still right about the things I write here:)

Seems like the following group is growing:
Zen, snowdog, pixiel40, and nalex66

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
The rules for your profile's Name can be found here. Pay attention to the wording, because like the guarantee that you'd never need to use your Facebook login for the Oculus Rift, the devil is in the details. The requirements for your profile name are:
Your name can't include:
  • Symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation.
  • Characters from multiple languages.
  • Titles of any kind (example: professional, religious).
  • Words or phrases in place of a name.
  • Offensive or suggestive words of any kind.
None of these rules in any way say that your profile name must be your real name. The preface implies it, but the rules don't actually require this. Everything after that are suggestions except the rule regarding impersonating someone else. During signup they strongly imply that you need to use your actual name. However back in 2013 I was guided by Facebook's customer service through the process of changing my profile name to a screen name rather then my real name after contacted them to try getting my account deleted due to not wanting my real name publicly online.

Again, the devil is in the details. And Facebook is very careful in how they word things. IF you have to verify your identity with them for some reason then yeah, you'll probably need to change your profile name to something that matches a government approved ID source. You can change your name once every 60 days. Do you really think the average person is getting married, divorced, and what not that often? If you do use a screen name, you are recommended to put your real name in your profile as your Birth Name. This doesn't need to be visible with your profile name, but is visible if someone views your profile and checks the Details page.. There's a check box to do that, which is checked by default.

The preface, if you're too lazy to check yourself says the following:

Facebook is a community where everyone uses the name they go by in
everyday life. This makes it so that you always know who you're
connecting with.

Note that this doesn't say "where everyone uses their real name". I go by Faerie Knight in my everyday life, because I spend most of my time online. Since you aren't allowed to use a title, I used something else. I use to go by Red Knight in my everyday life, because again that was my screen name for years.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pixie40 said:
blablablabla

Same link:
Other things to keep in mind:
  • The name on your profile should be the name that your friends call you in everyday life. This name should also appear on an ID or document from our ID list.
Your whole post just busted bro

• Birth certificate
  • Driver's license
  • Passport
  • Marriage certificate
  • Official name change paperwork
  • Personal or vehicle insurance card
  • Non-driver's government ID (ex: disability, SNAP card, national ID card, pension card)
  • Green card, residence permit or immigration papers
  • Tribal identification or status card
  • Voter ID card
  • Family certificate
  • Visa
  • National age card
  • Immigration registration card
  • Tax identification card

It goes on to say you shouldn't "fake" your name if at all possible and only under some cases you can - but you have to provide other information such as an image as you and other details xD Again - its some real irony isn't it:)? You go on to say its the best thing in the world yet - all the things you are telling what others to do is against the ToS xD Great ways to get people warnings and bans. Totally awesome.

You know if FB/.Oculus gets back to me answering the above questions - it wont matter what you "think" is correct. It will be up to whatever FB/Oculus will stance on.

While you might be able to go under Red Knight  - not everyone can. There are just too many "holes" in your story to make it work for everyone.

To play fair here - I am not trying to be a dick. I wont turn someone in - I totally get it. I am just saying - you hear one thing - you guys all for it - then you go around and say something different when there is proof you shouldn't. Like it doesnt make sense to say you are for something - and then go around and tell others not to follow the rules set by that system. I get it - its not prefect either - but come on - you are confusing as hell. Either be for it totally or be against it. Personally I am against it because of all what we are discussing and what you guys are using for. I want it to be open - people shouldn't be force into creating an account they're not ok with. People shouldn't be force to create accounts that have to use our names in them (whatever at least let us use fake names if you are going to force it). I want to let my nephews play on the Quest I got them 10 or 56. They should be able to play what they want so long as my brother is ok with what they're doing with it even if that means shooting a guy 50 years away in Onward. Also, I care for my nephews as well - and that means I want to protect them from shit like FB with their few flaws too. The shit you can get away with there is not funny and I want to make sure that doesnt happen to anyone else either. Knowing the risk and understand to follow though is ok - but not a force decision. That is not fair. I dont know the answer ok ~ if that is what you are trying to get out of me. I dont get why it has to change. The basic account was easy to deal with. Not everyone is going to want to use the social part and that should be ok as well. If the FB account was just a basic account - with everything default off- not even a page that can be view by anyone - that be totally ok as well. I dont get why it has to be a FB Page at all. I dont think anyone would be against that - because that be normal for anything else we do. Where you create an account and move from there for that title/service/whatever else.

Its like to me - why do I have to make a Netflix account just to play Starcraft 2? What? <- Sarcasm Then someone telling well so you can watch movies and shows. Like ok? And? How does that improve/help me with Starcraft 2? Well you can make a fake name if you dont want to use it. - BUT WHY?!!! Well so they can offer you shows and movies you might like.. duh.. < WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN FOR STARCRAFT 2???!!!!!

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Again, the devil is in the details. Pay attention to the wording. Did it say "the name must appear on an ID or document from our list", or did it say it should be one on such documents. Wording can be very important. One is a requirement, the other is a suggestion. I was walked through how to do it by a Facebook rep back in 2013, and was told it's recommended to put my real name in the profile as my Birth Name if I'm using a screen name. I was also told the screen name should be one I use all the time so people recognize it's me. Unfortunately my actual screen name was against the "no titles" rule.

There's also no rule regarding profile pictures needing to be of your actual self anywhere I can find. And again, it's not actually. The Terms & Conditions say you are suppose to give accurate information about yourself. And I do. What information I provide is accurate. Birth name? Yeah, as per the recommendation I put that in my profile, although it's not my profile name. My profile name is a variation on the screen name I've been using since 2007. Birth day? That's accurate. Email address? Again, it's accurate. Anything else? Uh, nope, felt no need to add those details.

Did you know they relaxed the "must be your legal name" stance a few times already, going so far as to change the wording to "name you use in everyday life"? I don't use my birth name in my everyday life, because my everyday life is spent online. Of course, if someone reports my profile name as being fake Facebook demands legal documents to verify your name. Legal documents which you should be extremely wary of sending them, even if they claim it'll be deleted after one year.

If my account gets locked because my 'used every day' name isn't the name on my birth certificate, then I guess I'll unlink my Oculus account, and in two years and four months I'll be using a different company's VR headset. Cause I sure as hell am not scanning and sending them documents which could easily be used to steal my identity. And you shouldn't consider doing so either.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

They don't want people pretending to be someone else. That's the long and short of it, because that's where the most harm can be done. Hiding your identity to protect yourself isn't harmful. Not pretending to be someone else, but hiding your identity in order to cause harm is also harmful. So how do they determine the difference between these three scenarios? My guess is the least worst option is that they dont distinguish between them and ask that everyone gives their real name. If they don't, then they stand a greater chance of being banned, depending on their behaviour.

There are also data protection laws which require all companies collecting and holding date to ensure that data is accurate. If the name you've given isn't accurate, that potentially means Facebook could be breaking those data protection laws, if they don't,  as a minimum, list the requirements for you to give your real name. If you then choose not to, then they have at least fulfilled their requirements regarding data protection. But I think this is secondary to the first point.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Nearly 6k upvotes for this - but it's quite funny  🙂

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ifkkpx/welcome_to_the_oasis/

Also I did complain to the mods about removing my fun post - and they activated it again - it's doing ok this morning...

kk01vsobio8m.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"