cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required?

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I decided to purchase a GearVR headset, I look on the box but could not find any indication that a facebook registration was required... but it was one of the first obstacles I encountered. I was almost like inevitable that I had to register for facebook to get my gear vr working.
I did google what was going on, and what was happening is that I had already disabled all of the facebook services on my phone, they were stone cold dead, because that's how I like face book, stone cold dead, I stone want to use facebook, never used them and dont want to use them.
And then I buy gear vr, from samsung and oculus, and I can't use it without having facebook installed.... they want access to my photos, phone numbers, and god knows what else.
I want a refund, please send me $110 to my paypal account, thank you, you're  breaking the EU law here, totally. Next step is going to my government complaining about this, because this is illegal, perfectly illegal, to force a membership to something that is not advertised. 
46 REPLIES 46

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Well we know that don't we - the rest of my family probably don't.

This thread isn't about your family though, is it? The point is that the OP surely knows. He has known since Sept 2016, yet is here pretending that it's a big surprise.

Anyone who buys a product without doing minimal research is intentionally making an uninformed purchase. That type of thing happens less and less with each passing year. When anyone navigates to Oculus.com they can see the "from Facebook" signature on each page.

Also, how many members of your family protest Facebook? That's also the bigger point. Even if we agree that the average consumer doesn't perform thorough research... surely someone who has made a life decision to avoid Facebook will research the Technology they purchase ahead of time to make sure Facebook isn't a requirement.

There's no defending the complaints in this thread.

vannagirl
Consultant
If the everyday public all knew the level your government or is prepared to monitor, well facebook, google, "insert any other corp"

Its childs play 
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Well, some good points Zen but i'll wait to see what the OP says.  I (sometimes) try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

There are many people who make life decisions to avoid Facebook because they've seen the odd headline, or been told to by another member of their family - you know, "i avoid Facebook and only ever use Google" - that kind of silliness.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Well, some good points Zen but i'll wait to see what the OP says.

I'm not exactly sure what it is you need to wait to see. Besides, all you seem to be doing is repeating what the OP is saying... so he'll probably just keep saying the same things.

The OP has said quite a bit about his thoughts on Oculus and Facebook. Seem fairly clear to me:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/43099/lost-all-respect-for-zuckerberg-and-oculus/p1

The OP has been a member of the forum since Feb 2014. That's nearly 4 years now. He stopped supporting Oculus as soon as Facebook bought them. The story, and waiting, pretty much ends there.

I see no mystery here.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Resistance is futile! You must assimilate. You must have a Facebook account. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
Oculus still exists as a separate entity, albeit owned by Facebook. But a lot of companies are owned by other larger companies, they don't require you to use the services of the parent company.

I remember the discussion well when Facebook acquired Oculus. The promise was... no you didn't need to log into your Facebook to use Oculus. But look what has happened, the first prompt always is to log into your facebook account. Soon that's gonna be required, no other option.
Btw. logging in here does not work if you have a "Do not track" setting in your browser. I'm surprised you can log in here at all without Facebook account.

I took photos for all your skeptics. Here's my GearVR box I picked up. No mention of Facebook or requirement of their services. Only Oculus and Samsung. If it would have said "requires Facebook services" I would not have bought probably.
Would be easier if Facebook dropped the Oculus brand and just called it what it is, "Facebook VR".

xty7twb8hzs7.jpg1siitbjhuqgx.jpgphavcf4zujym.jpgslxmcxkziox5.jpgeuidpyhzqiwa.jpgm2ir0nxo347p.jpg

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

EarlGrey said:

Oculus still exists as a separate entity

You didn't believe that one bit when you lumped them together in your, "Lost all Respect for Zuckerberg and Oculus," thread. Don't pretend that you now suddenly believe they are separate.

Zuckerberg posts personal status updates about his plans for the Facebook owned Oculus line of VR Products. This forum and every page on the Oculus website clearly states, "from Facebook."

You know this full well, which is why you treated them as one and the same during your September 2016 rant.

You can take as many pictures as you like in your effort to try to trick folks who aren't familiar with your 2016 posts. But all I see is you intentionally looking for Oculus products that don't specifically type the word "Facebook" in order to feign some sort of scandal.

I'm surprised you can log in here at all without Facebook account.

All the data logged by this forum belongs to Facebook.

Why did you buy the Gear VR if you lost all respect for Zuckerberg and Oculus? You can see the "powered by Oculus" statement on the box, right? You took the pictures apparently.

kojack
MVP
MVP

EarlGrey said:

I remember the discussion well when Facebook acquired Oculus. The promise was... no you didn't need to log into your Facebook to use Oculus. But look what has happened, 

Yes, look at what happened. You still don't need to log into a facebook account.
So promise maintained.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kojack said:

EarlGrey said:

I remember the discussion well when Facebook acquired Oculus. The promise was... no you didn't need to log into your Facebook to use Oculus. But look what has happened, 

Yes, look at what happened. You still don't need to log into a facebook account.
So promise maintained.

hzpdwxsalv7c.jpg

Every single time i log out, for the past 3 weeks or so.

Something has changed.

You're lucky i haven't passed this website intelligence on to Danknugz - he'd go crazy!   😄
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Every single time i log out, for the past 3 weeks or so.

Something has changed.

You're lucky i haven't passed this website intelligence on to Danknugz - he'd go crazy!   😄

What does a Sign Out bug have to do with this topic? lol

Earlier you brought up your family so now I'm curious, is EarlGrey your dad or something? Uncle perhaps?

Anyway, regarding your irrelevant screenshot:
1) It has the Facebook Logo on it which is more evidence that Oculus and Facebook are "one."
2) The site has changed from "forums.oculus.com" to "forums.oculusvr.com"

I suspect that the Logout issue is related to that. Probably better to send the bug report to Cyber instead of using it to cheerleader Mr. Earl tho.