cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required?

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I decided to purchase a GearVR headset, I look on the box but could not find any indication that a facebook registration was required... but it was one of the first obstacles I encountered. I was almost like inevitable that I had to register for facebook to get my gear vr working.
I did google what was going on, and what was happening is that I had already disabled all of the facebook services on my phone, they were stone cold dead, because that's how I like face book, stone cold dead, I stone want to use facebook, never used them and dont want to use them.
And then I buy gear vr, from samsung and oculus, and I can't use it without having facebook installed.... they want access to my photos, phone numbers, and god knows what else.
I want a refund, please send me $110 to my paypal account, thank you, you're  breaking the EU law here, totally. Next step is going to my government complaining about this, because this is illegal, perfectly illegal, to force a membership to something that is not advertised. 
46 REPLIES 46

Zenbane said:

Every single time i log out, for the past 3 weeks or so.

Something has changed.

You're lucky i haven't passed this website intelligence on to Danknugz - he'd go crazy!   😄

What does a Sign Out bug have to do with this topic? lol

Earlier you brought up your family so now I'm curious, is EarlGrey your dad or something? Uncle perhaps?

Anyway, regarding your irrelevant screenshot:
1) It has the Facebook Logo on it which is more evidence that Oculus and Facebook are "one."
2) The site has changed from "forums.oculus.com" to "forums.oculusvr.com"

I suspect that the Logout issue is related to that. Probably better to send the bug report to Cyber instead of using it to cheerleader Mr. Earl tho.

Nothin, i'm havin a larf!

Calm down or i'll set Kevin on you!   😄
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I was just curious, bruh
😉

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I don't have a Facebook account, yet I'm able to use the Oculus forums as well as the Rift software.

Conclusion: Zuckerberg must already be in my house!

Image result for tinfoil hat

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Wmacky
Protege

Zenbane said:

Every single time i log out, for the past 3 weeks or so.

Something has changed.

You're lucky i haven't passed this website intelligence on to Danknugz - he'd go crazy!   😄

What does a Sign Out bug have to do with this topic? lol

Earlier you brought up your family so now I'm curious, is EarlGrey your dad or something? Uncle perhaps?

Anyway, regarding your irrelevant screenshot:
1) It has the Facebook Logo on it which is more evidence that Oculus and Facebook are "one."
2) The site has changed from "forums.oculus.com" to "forums.oculusvr.com"

I suspect that the Logout issue is related to that. Probably better to send the bug report to Cyber instead of using it to cheerleader Mr. Earl tho.

Pot calling the kettle back.

Rah rah rah  Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wmacky said:
Pot calling the kettle back.

Rah rah rah  Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one is cheerleading facebook in this thread; this is simply the acknowledgement of basic facts (e.g. A Facebook Account isn't needed and the OP knows that Facebook/Oculus are merged).

Astralite
Protege
Guys, Facebook is the least of your problems....the robots uprising will be in months, if not weeks (they're learning...too fast).

One of my last pc game purchases in stores (before they stopped having less than a dozen PC games on the shelf) was Left4Dead1. I was at the store. I was looking at the box. I saw the "Steam Account Required" part, and I sadly put the box back. I wasn't going to install a platform that has me sign in to play and lets everyone see WHAT GAME I'M PLAYING RIGHT NOW (oh, the horror)! What would they do with that information?

After less than an hour on the internet, discovering that it's a steam game, this is the only way I'm playing it (This was before there was hundreds of zombie FPSs, and L4D is still one of the bests if not the best) I went back to the store, I bought that damn game (no regerts), and it started my adventure in Steam gaming. 242 games later, no one's come to my house and hurt me.

I don't know what you're afraid of with Facebook, but I too also don't have an account, but that's more of my not having friends or wanting family members to know just how crappy my life is. My No Facebook rule is just to socially protect myself. Although, I was originally afraid I'd become a Farmville addict. But I was smart enough to realize that getting an Oculus Rift means I needed an Oculus account (because I was on the forums, watching Youtube videos, reading reviews, etc until I bought it). No matter how much I'd like to pretend (which isn't much) that my Oculus account is completely seperate from Facebook, it literally is Facebook account without a facebook page. They know where I live now, I'm just counting the days before their data collection concludes that I'm a perfect candidate for their next human project and they show up to collect me. I was actually thinking of saving up for the Vive ($600 was going to take a while), like literally a month before the Summer of Rift sale. $400! Omg, someone actually owes me that much!  SOLD. Had it ordered and sent to my house. It arrived at my house on a Friday before a family (the people I hide from by not having a Facebook account) reunion/picnic at my house. I was planning on sneaking out, grabbing food, saying hi and hiding again. Instead I had 10 people in my basement where I curated first-time VR experiences all day. We mostly only did ToyRoom because I barely had time to try things the night before and it was simple and it shows off so much of what VR is capable of (I discovered my 50-something Aunt holds her laser guns sideways). They all really liked it. Anyway. Never once did I think "I should tell them, for their own safety, that this is a Facebook product and by putting on the headset any thoughts they have while playing will be collected." I'm glad I picked the Oculus, not because "GRR, Facebook vs Steam! High Prices! Data collection! WHATEVER", it's because I imagine using Vive "wands" as holding big AppleTV controllers with a trigger. Holding a Rift Touch controller feels like having my hands inside the arms of a mech suit. Like every rotation and movement is moving big robot arms. Not waving sticks around. But that's me. I'm not a fanboy about it. I love Steam. I know HTC is the one that made the hardware for Vive and then realized they didn't need Steam and are now trying to go standalone, which is pretty much what Oculus is doing by making the Go. They're removing Samsung from the equation because they make their own hardware now. Why tether themselves?. Oculus made the Rift before it was bought by Facebook. It is an "Oculus product", Facebook just has the checkbook that lets them do what they do. We all sort of won there. It could've been worse.

Oh, wait. I just checked that other thread, where you complained about Zuckerberg supporting a politician you didn't like. So you're just "that guy". "In my country" (I'm reading that in a russian accent cuz it sounds funnier) is used in a lot of your posts I guess, so you sure aren't in America...cuz, we really don't care to hide that we're in America...EarlGrey...hmm, can't imagine where you're from...Uruguay?. Well, we might hide it from bigots (I think I'm using this right in context) who seem to think that being from "my country" means I'm exactly like everyone else in "my country", which means they're exactly like me, which means we're all exactly the same, and have exactly the same thoughts and feelings and we all 100% support the leader not all of us voted for (who votes anymore?). So, if you can make up something stupid about one person in "my country", well I must be just like them. It's as if you can't have 10 people live in the same house without having exactly the same taste in clothing, music, politics, games, movies, food, etc.

So this isn't about Facebook. It's about the head of the company liking something you don't like so you don't like the company? Cuz that's just childish. I thought all you Asians were supposed to be smart (that's not a racist joke, I'm making a tea joke, EarlGrey is a tea, I still haven't figured out where "in my country" is because he/she seems to be afraid to specify).

Your original post is kind of funny. It's kind of like saying "I bought this dog, but I didn't you had to feed dogs, it didn't say on the dog, I'd like a refund, you lied to me." Well, not exactly, I just felt like using that sentence because it sounds funny.

Some people seem to think that "installing" Facebook on your computer (like it's some kind of virus or operating system) automagically gives them access to your life. Like everything you do while having *Facebook* on your computer is no longer private. My computer has never been used to log in to Facebook, but that's more because I've found that simply having the page open on someone else's computer I was asked to fix repeatedly just ends up eating up a ton of ram. Maybe it's the constant reloading of ads that have been tailored to the person surfing as if their brain patterns change that much (someone wrote about their dog, I read that, I should buy a dog now). If this is your fear, just unplug from the internet now. You aren't safe. They know where you live already (your address and phone numbers are somehow public information whether you choose to give them out or not). Cancel the internet because your ISP is probably selling your information too (it makes them money). This is modern life. There's no escaping it anymore. You own technology, you are owned by the companies that make them. Sorry, licensed. They can't literally own you, that'd be....well, I think both "our countries" know what that is. If I wanted to guess where you're from, You (and I'm assuming that every single person in "your country" is exactly the same as those who lived there a thousand years ago, cuz that's what being in a country means (not really, I'm being facetious) owned most of the world, or tried to. Anyway, whatever...I don't drink EarlGrey, I ironically drink "Plantation Mint" (mm, spearmint). Don't read into that. 

But anyway, this isn't about your information...and if it is, you probably shouldn't be posting so much on a Facebook owned forum, because their algorithms have already collected every bit of information they need about you to submit to the robot overlords...when the cleansing happens you better hope the color randomly chosen that day is yellow. Yellow. Get it tattooed. It may seem like absolutely nothing now, but from all the information of your over 800 posts (I mean, seriously, you hate the company yet you keep giving them data you're trying to protect! Amateur!), I've figured out (well, my algorithms have) that your color will be Yellow.....anyway, this is political? Like, politics in a different country? She didn't win, wipe your tears. You're safe from her over there (not really, you were mentioned many times in her emails).

But if it is about information. Seriously, it's already too late. Facebook isn't the only one doing it. The algorithms are out there,  they're working on their own now. Even their creators don't understand what they know. We've already lost the war against SkyNet. Just try living your final days playing as many video games as you can, and pretend it's not happening.
(This is worth watching)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFTWM7HV2UI

Finally, on a serious note. If you were asking for a refund and not just begging for attention, there are private channels to go through. I'm assuming under EU law, you're assuming 
  • misleading practices, either through action (giving false information) or omission (leaving out important information)
means they need to provide information any other services required to use the product in question? Is that a thing? I mean, do you know for sure if it is or isn't? Because you might just be grasping for a reason. You probably should've posted this in Support because it's a support issue, not a general discussion one. 

Also, back to not being serious. You're on an android right? Google? Yeah...they're totally not collecting any information on you. You're safe. Unless you are in fact "Earl Grey", the cat that ran for Prime Minister? I already Googled you. I'm sorry if you didn't win. We've already seen the pictures of you licking yourself. Someone really should've taught you about being safe on the internet. Once you post those pictures, anywhere, they can go everywhere.

kernow
Heroic Explorer

nalex66 said:

I don't have a Facebook account, yet I'm able to use the Oculus forums as well as the Rift software.

Conclusion: Zuckerberg must already be in my house!

He must be sneaking into my house too. That explains that creepy redheaded guy who randomly shows up when I sign into Oculus and makes some pretty awesome bone broth ramen noodles for me. Ohh! That also explains his creepy thumbs-up gesture toward me with a smile and a wink as he's leaving the apartment. So much makes more sense to me now.