cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook acquisitions: Assassins Creed VR and Splinter Cell VR ??

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

AAA VR is en-route...

Next on Facebook’s Shopping List: Acquisitions to Beef Up Gaming

As part of the new effort, in which CEO Mark Zuckerberg is personally involved, Facebook has already signed deals for exclusive VR versions of the popular games “Assassin’s Creed” and “Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell,” one of the people said. Facebook hopes that seeding Oculus with popular game franchises will help attract more people to buy its VR headsets

The initiative is being led by Jason Rubin, the former head of content for Oculus who was promoted in December to be vice president of special gaming initiatives. Mr. Rubin reports to Andrew Bosworth, a longtime Facebook executive who oversees all of the company’s hardware efforts.

“The response to Oculus Quest and Rift S gaming has been incredible,” an Oculus spokesperson told The Information. “We cannot comment on specific partnerships, but we will continue to focus on expanding our library and reaching broader gaming audiences for years to come.”

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/next-on-facebooks-shopping-list-acquisitions-to-beef-up-gami...

A great blurb on the success of Oculus Quest:

Mr. Bosworth recently announced that Quest users purchased $5 million in content for the device during its first two weeks of availability. In marketing materials, Facebook has positioned the Oculus Quest primarily as a gaming device. Facebook has already funded a host of VR titles for Oculus—mostly from small to midsized publishers—and is funding an upcoming VR game from the Electronic Arts–owned studio behind “Titanfall” and “Apex Legends.” Oculus also recently funded a “Star Wars” interactive story by Lucasfilm that’s exclusive to the platform.

16 REPLIES 16

kevinw729 said:

That looks amazing!

North of England, yes?    :#
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
i hope they will be full experiences..not 25 min demos. AC has so many possibilities..naval warfare, bows, swords, climbing, stealth, melee..it will really be hard, good luck designers

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Great news but I hope these games are more AAA than AA.

Triple B experiences --- BBB
I think the focus will on the Quest then maybe a high res texture version for the Rift
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I really hope they finally invest in full games though, full AAA games from real high end developers.

LIke this morning I was playing Assassin's Creed Origins on PS4 and was really good, I hope they make a full open world game like that. Like Fallout 4 but from the ground up and made for VR.

EDIT: If they did finally do this then even if there was only two games that existed, i.e. Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed then I'm still sure that not only would all of us here in the VR community buy these games but these two games would bring more newcomers to VR.

And then the more people that buy Rift S/Vive/Index to play these two games, the more chance we have of other devs joining us in making even better games.

Hopefully one day all games will be made for VR so we will have Battlefield, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Forza, Resident Evil, Half Life, FIfa, Wolfenstein, Metro, Rainbow Six Seige etc etc all available in VR. Oh and games like Star Wars Battlefront 2 would be good also.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I think any exclusive will be focused on the Quest and unless you own a Quest it’s hard to get excited about it. They might not see the light of day on PC or Rift-S

You seem to have it backwards. These are PCVR titles, so Quest owners (like myself) are the ones who need to hope that these get ported over. Rift is the primary target for these Exclusives.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

That looks amazing!

North of England, yes?    :#

Yeah it plays pretty good.
The reason I shared it was surprised to see exclusive and first time being used when there was already a VR version - there is also a VR Escape game series of the Assassins Creed universe - so not quite sure of the "exclusivity" is more focused on the fact its coming to OculusVR? But good news for the community - hope that they get to port a version of the LBE games to the home.

Oh, and too your quest "North of England"... Yes - PM me and I can point you to one of the sites running the system.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
Would love to see a AC - Black Flag in VR!!!  😛
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S