Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook and Samsung to Develop 7nm EUV Chip For ‘AR Glasses’

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Interesting news in the world of Augmented Reality,

Mark Zuckerberg’s timeline for AR glasses ends at 2026, and therefore the Korean press believes that Samsung can churn out small chips to power Facebook’s legendary AR glasses by 2021.

According to ETNews, the 2 corporations are discussing fabrication since the beginning of this year, and therefore the chip chargeable for in operation the glasses are going to be engineered on the Korean tech giant’s 7nm EUV node.

Additionally, it’s doable that the microarchitecture for this chip is going to be designed by Samsung, and consequently, the silicon will be marketed under the company’s preferred branding.

https://dailybayonet.com/facebook-and-samsung-to-develop-7nm-euv-chip-for-ar-glasses/15241/

2 REPLIES 2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I chuckled at this line due to the double-meaning of the word "fabrication"
the 2 corporations are discussing fabrication since the beginning of this year

Can also read as:
the 2 corporations are discussing ways to lie and trick the consumer since the beginning of this year

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Anyone remember Google Glass? What happened to that?  I read many moons ago about tech that beams directly into the retina. I assume for VR like experiences using smaller form factor glasses then this might be a way forwards? I am all about reducing the form-factor as a want for VR progression but I hope AR doesn't steal the spotlight from VR as they are vastly different experiences. Hopefully the two can operate in tandem for a real holodeck type experience which doesn't entirely shut the user away from the outside and if it does, a quick snap of the fingers or voice command and you're able to see your surrounds. Even worse, other people can enter your VR space (who are not using VR) to talk to you. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.