cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebooks Moderation Desperately Needs An Overhaul

Dicehunter
Protege

I don't have a Facebook account or a Quest 2 but a friend of mine does and his experience today has cemented my decision into not buying a Quest 2 or making the required Facebook account, He just got banned from Facebook, The reason ? Was it making threats ? Nope, Bullying people ? Nope, Multiple accounts ? Nope, Sharing copyright content ? Nope, Making fun of a person or group ? Nope... So what was it ? It must have been something really bad right ?

He shared a picture on a PC gaming page showing a comparison picture of DLSS turned off and turned on, DLSS is an AI image enhancement feature from the GPU company Nvidia to increase performance in games but keep as much image quality as possible, It was of the game Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition that just released on the Epic Game Store, Showing the performance difference with it on and off... that's it, Apparently that goes against the ever changing mysterious Facebook community guidelines, He disputed it, It got reviewed by a "moderator" but apparently this was seen as a high crime against the corporation so his account has now gone bye bye, If it had been just that I would've told him that his departure from Facebook is a good thing as it's not a site anyone should be using.

This is the image he shared which apparently is a big no no, As you can see, Harmless.

Metro  Exodus Screenshot 2021.05.20 - 20.30.36.65.jpg

Well now he has lost just over £100 in purchased games for his Quest product.... all because he shared a screenshot of a game on PC and the screenshot itself was of neutral scenery, This is why I'm not touching an Oculus product again after the Rift S I had, The requirement to sign in with a Facebook account is a massive negative and on top of that quite literally anything can get you banned, Such as sharing a harmless screenshot to a gaming page.

Facebook, You need to change, Your entire system is hugely flawed and the people you've hired to moderate this stuff don't seem to be compos mentis, Behaviour like this makes any Oculus product a no go and makes people lean towards buying other headsets even if they are more expensive but with no Orwellian strings attached.

6 REPLIES 6

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I doubt that picture had anything to do with his ban. "Violating community standards" is the catch-all reason that is always given for bans, even for people who have never posted anything. Tell him to open a ticket with Oculus support, and they should be able to sort it out for him.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

@nalex66 wrote:

I doubt that picture had anything to do with his ban. "Violating community standards" is the catch-all reason that is always given for bans, even for people who have never posted anything. Tell him to open a ticket with Oculus support, and they should be able to sort it out for him.

I've passed along the info, Although he created his Facebook account solely for his Quest 2, Then created a private page for him and a few friends where they shared pictures of their games, He had less than 4 posts in total and only 3 messages, He was a very lite social media user.

Same thing happened to me, I had an account for all of 2 weeks, I got perma banned because I had a picture of Yondu from guardians of the Galaxy as my profile pic, That was the reason I was given, I had a handful of health and fitness pages liked, I never commented on anything or sent anyone messages, Minus my little brother, I disputed the ban but I was still banned and my Facebook account went bye bye.

Facebooks moderation system needs an overhaul, It's way too aggressive.

Multiple FB accounts is probably what did this.  Pretty silly that most do not take the time to understand FB rules and then just complain later.  In any case, I think your best bet is to work with Oculus Support to see if they can help.  Good luck mate.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

Multiple FB accounts is probably what did this.  Pretty silly that most do not take the time to understand FB rules and then just complain later.  In any case, I think your best bet is to work with Oculus Support to see if they can help.  Good luck mate.

He didn't have multiple FB accounts, No clue where you got that from, Just 1 which he made specifically for his Quest 2, He didn't have FB prior to this, And it's not me who lost anything, Just putting it out there that Facebook are overly aggressive when it comes to this type of stuff which is holding me back from purchasing their product.

Sorry mate, I think I read that he created a separate FB account but this was only a Private page.  Personally I've had a FB account for ~10 years and only use it to check club news/events.  I never post anything and have max privacy settings.  With the current Oculus/FB accounts link I intend to stay that way because I'm also afraid of get a ban.  FB would benefit a lot if there was less risk involved to use social VR.  I'm sure that between them and Oculus they will sort this out sometime soon (we hope).  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Digikid1
Consultant

That is ridiculous!