cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For some vr enthusiast Facebook's focus on the mass market could be worse than believed

inovator
Consultant
I'm looking forward to the oc that's just around the corner. Many pc enthusiasts are concerned with the lack of next gen PCVR. As far as the new quest originally I for one expected that the current snap dragon 835 chipset would be upgraded.
 Some rumors say that instead of a chip upgrade (paraphrasing) the focus would be on minor improvements with a big price reduction of 299.00 for the 64gb. That would be a big disappointment. Maybe there will be a pro quest announcement. If oc just has small quest improvements and no PCVR upgrade announcement that will say it all for me. I won't like it. But the quest is an engeneered marvel. To make it accessible to many more people  may be the right thing to do for vr. Like bad tasting medicine that's good for you. I haven't done pancake gaming since my rift cv1 purchase until recently. I started to crave more complex and beautiful adventure games. Now about 20% (the rest i spend in vr) of my gaming time is pancake gaming. I'm playing rise of the tomb raider. Omg in vr it would kick ass. If facebook succeeds and wins over the mass market we will see hardware and triple a games in numbers that will be amazing. Not to mention the acceleration in hardware development.

58 REPLIES 58

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Oculus is going to need some new piece of hardware to fully showcase their next 2 exclusives: Lone Echo 2, and Medal of Honor.

And one thing we have learned from all the Talks given by Carmack and Abrash over the years, is that Facebook has a very clear line-of-sight when it comes to the VR Ecosystem; with both Hardware and Software. So whatever they decide, there is always some trick up their sleeve to keep pushing things in the right direction.

For example, I was highly critical of the Rift-S when it was announced. I firmly believed that Inside-Out tracking was inherently flawed due to the limited number of cameras available on the HMD.

But then...  Facebook developed software algorithms to improve Tracking. And all of my concerns were remedied.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
No matter what phone gpu they may put in Quest 2/S, it will not make any difference. Quest will be worthless low-end garbage no matter it's gpu - like shown here (Adreno 540 is the gpu in snapdragon 835):

https://uploadvr.com/standalone-vs-pc-power-compared/

A GTX 1060 is like 12 to 15 times faster than Quest. And soon Quest is not going to be compared to the old GTX 1060, but to RTX 2060 and RTX 3060.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Quest will be worthless low-end garbage no matter it's gpu

Daaaannngg. Say it, don't spray it, bro! 😛

JK. You're right, of course, in regards to a tit-for-tat comparison of Quest's internals vs a PC Master Race setup. Although, we still have to keep in mind that Quest can link to the PC, and Stream whatever goodness is coming from a GTX/RTX. Granted, there's still a quality drop due to the Streaming integration, as Quest in its current state is not a true hybrid.

But to your point, I do agree that all the debates about which Snapdragon process Quest 2 should include are rather futile, since any snapdragon version is a poopoo platter in comparison to something that has a dedicated PC to power it.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much of a target market for it. At least we have great products like the Index and Reverb to satisfy those needs!

inovator
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Oculus is going to need some new piece of hardware to fully showcase their next 2 exclusives: Lone Echo 2, and Medal of Honor.

And one thing we have learned from all the Talks given by Carmack and Abrash over the years, is that Facebook has a very clear line-of-sight when it comes to the VR Ecosystem; with both Hardware and Software. So whatever they decide, there is always some trick up their sleeve to keep pushing things in the right direction.

For example, I was highly critical of the Rift-S when it was announced. I firmly believed that Inside-Out tracking was inherently flawed due to the limited number of cameras available on the HMD.

But then...  Facebook developed software algorithms to improve Tracking. And all of my concerns were remedied.

I hope your right. I just can't  see the new quest as rumors stand being the main deal. They have to have something big to announce.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

inovator said:
I hope your right. I just can't  see the new quest as rumors stand being the main deal. They have to have something big to announce.

Yes they do - the Facebook MR glasses!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Honestly, it all feels like a 50/50 shot. Moreso due to the Pandemic. I can see Facebook releasing something low-end this year to help everyone who is suffering financial distress due to the Pandemic. I see Mark talk about this quite often. Love em or hate em, Facebook has done a lot to assist people losing their jobs and businesses during these trying times.

So to that end, I could see Facebook avoiding a high-priced product this year.

On the other hand, I can also see Facebook releasing a product with multiple pricing tiers. So we could very well see a low-end and high-end product. Although... I doubt Facebook will release anything on the "highest" end for a few more years. I can't see them trying to compete with Index or the Reverb directly; due to the low target market for those types of headsets.

inovator
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

No matter what phone gpu they may put in Quest 2/S, it will not make any difference. Quest will be worthless low-end garbage no matter it's gpu - like shown here (Adreno 540 is the gpu in snapdragon 835):

A GTX 1060 is like 12 to 15 times faster than Quest. And soon Quest is not going to be compared to the old GTX 1060, but to RTX 2060 and RTX 3060.

I know your a huge pc enthusiast and is into the latest cards coming out etc. I'm sure you know much more than I do about that. But being a PCVR fan and also having the quest I can say the quest isn't garbage. A Ferrari is a spectacular car but you can still have fun in a Ford. Certain games are much more fun for me in the quest than using my rift s. I can go on and on. It may be garbage to you but many people including popular utube show hosts love the quest in addition to pcvr. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

inovator said:

RuneSR2 said:

I know your a huge pc enthusiast and is into the latest cards coming out etc. I'm sure you know much more than I do about that. But being a PCVR fan and also having the quest I can say the quest isn't garbage. A Ferrari is a spectacular car but you can still have fun in a Ford. Certain games are much more fun for me in the quest than using my rift s. I can go on and on. It may be garbage to you but many people including popular utube show hosts love the quest in addition to pcvr. 

Might add that Quest using Oculus Link of course is a great idea - then Quest becomes a PCVR hmd (but 72 hz and streaming compression aren't something I appreciate). My problem is only with the Snapdragon and recent developments we've seen with Onward and Stride - potentially ruining great PCVR games by reducing them to games looking like something from 1998. 

I'd be much more positive about Quest 2 if it works like Rift-S by supporting Display Port and 90 Hz. And some real headphones 😉   

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

inovator
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

inovator said:

RuneSR2 said:

Might add that Quest using Oculus Link of course is a great idea - then Quest becomes a PCVR hmd. My problem is only with the Snapdragon and recent developments we've seen with Onward and Stride - potentially ruining great PCVR games by reducing them to games looking like something from 1998. 

I'd be much more positive about Quest 2 if it works like Rift-S by supporting Display Port. And some real headphones 😉   

It's ok for you not to ever be positive about the quest. I get it. Many feel that way. Many feel the opposite as well. I'm dead set against dumbing down games like they did with onward and stride. I'm sure you know in the past many pc games were dumbed down so pc games wouldn't kick ass the console games as much. I was always a console gamer but even than I thought it was disgusting and highly offensive and felt the developers themselves were dumb.