cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum discussions no longer public

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
Has anyone else noticed that suddenly (perhaps some) discussions are not visible unless you're logged in? This probably means that issues won't be listed by search engines. You can test this by viewing a discussion in an incognito/private window.

I think that all information and discussions on a "public" forum should be just that and available to everyone whether they are logged in or not. Potential users should be aware of the good and the bad about a product before buying it.

Have you noticed this? What is your opinion?
My tech reviews: https://www.simplythebest.tech
23 REPLIES 23

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am not sure if you are aware @oliver.jp that when you are not logged in the signatures and status can not be viewed, and yes certain discussions are not visible, I am not sure if that is a quirk of this older version of the forum software that the team implements. 

I am sure you are aware that while the forum has not been as "active" as it previously was, we still have an incredible number of "lurkers" (those that view but do not interact with discussions) - we know of at least one VR news site that seems to depend on getting stories from these forum discussions (hi guys).

But the reality is that there are rumors that Oculus plans to incorporate the forum into a new format, hopefully in VR, possibly linked to Horizon. As I state this is a rumor, but from a source I am prepared to accept, as they were spot on about the Quest-2, and migration from high-end PC VR - moves this year.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, I'm not sure what changes have been made to this forum's software but for almost a week now I cannot login to it with my PC Edge browser or my iPhone (safari, firefox, or chrome).  Today I found that I could not even see any of the discussions on both these since it just asks me to sign in but I cannot do this.

Fortunately I do not seem to have any problem logging in with my PC with my Chrome browser.

I contacted Oculus Support about this 5 days ago and started a ticket (also did a chat) but they have not been able to resolve this.  They had me reinstall a few thing and clear out all my cookies and cache but this did not help.  These problem seem to have happened around the same time I linked my Oculus/FB accounts.  Could just be a coincidence. 
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
@TomCgcmfc
That's exactly how I found out about this. I can't login on my phone but when emails came into my phone I could still see the discussions because they were public. Now they're not so I can't view them on my phone any more.

Chrome is also the only browser that appears to let me login as well. I get a blank page with other browsers.

The thing is, these discussions were public, now they're not. Right now there are still search results for: site:forums.oculusvr.com issue

But if you're in a private window you can't see the discussions because you're not logged in. I expect these will drop off the search results. There may be terms other than "issue" where results require a login.
My tech reviews: https://www.simplythebest.tech

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

Ya, I'm not sure what changes have been made to this forum's software but for almost a week now I cannot login to it with my PC Edge browser or my iPhone (safari, firefox, or chrome).  Today I found that I could not even see any of the discussions on both these since it just asks me to sign in but I cannot do this.

Fortunately I do not seem to have any problem logging in with my PC with my Chrome browser.

I contacted Oculus Support about this 5 days ago and started a ticket (also did a chat) but they have not been able to resolve this.  They had me reinstall a few thing and clear out all my cookies and cache but this did not help.  These problem seem to have happened around the same time I linked my Oculus/FB accounts.  Could just be a coincidence. 

Same experience here as well. Had to switch from Edge to Chrome for the website to show me logged in.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Maybe a good idea for you guys to also contact Oculus Support and start a ticket.  Given the little effort that they seemed to give me they seemed to think it was only me having this problem, lol!  Thanks.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I visited the forum either yesterday or day before, can't remember which - and got a page saying "This site has been taken down by the owners".

I thought - 'ah, they have done it at last, wonder where to go now?"  but after a few minutes I tried again and the site was back. Never had that before and wonder if an update or change of some kind was being completed - or maybe a drill for when the balloon goes up! 😛

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Right mouse click on the "sign in" top right hand corner of the Oculus forum. Go down to "copy Link Location" and left click on mouse. Now right click in the address bar and keep pasting what was copied in there. Eventually a CAPTCHA will pop up. Complete the CATCHA and quickly click on the Oculus link you have saved in your favorites or on you tool bar and you will login.

Takes quite a few pastes in to the address bar for a CAPTCHA to pop up, but it will eventually pop up and you will be able to login on any browser after completing these steps. I've had this for months now. I am also not able to see discussions unless I'm logged in now though. So, if you have to do all the above just to login, then that's not good for anyone new who's wanting help.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Thanks Red, I'll give that a go with my Edge browser.  Not sure if is applicable for my iPhone though?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

Thanks Red, I'll give that a go with my Edge browser.  Not sure if is applicable for my iPhone though?

Not sure about the iPhone Tom, but it seems to be a CATCHA issue with the forum. I'm not sure how these CAPTCHA'S work with iPhones.