cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free upgrade for user for Oculus Quest 1 to 2

lancejohnson321
Explorer
I am posting this to make an appeal to facebook to allow users of Oculus 
My request is I bought the oculus one in jan 2020 at a higher price point and now oculus 2 is coming
I humbly request that u allow a free upgrade for people to trade up from oculus 1 to oculus 2
It makes good business sense as u don’t want to loose ur customer base, the oculus one was not well used as much as it should due to gameplay and graphics
Remember u will make the money back in terms of game bought and usage and also u could get rid of the expense of maintaining the oculus one. Also vr needs a breathe into it and people will be more happy to buy into a oculus if they know they can trade up at a small expense
The model for the oculus is not the same as a Apple smartphone yet for example
That is smart phone is considered a necessary device u need to have it
Oculus is considered at the moment as a niche item which is a luxury
Price point is more important For wide adoption and building a strong community
People want more interaction and their friends to get involved but the price point of the quest 1 was high but ur quest 2 price point is good
If u can get people to adopt the tech more widely that would be lead to the platform success
Remember key thing about Facebook at the beginning is ur got a high quality service for free
I am not suggesting u make the quest free just more accessible
Which brings me back to allowing people to upgrade for free.

Please could the Oculus forum team consider this in their next discussion and perhaps escalate to executive management.

2nd - if anyone who owns a Quest 1 agrees with me - please email support and facebook message Mark Zuckerberg on his facebook page.
33 REPLIES 33

Richooal
Consultant
I think that your request will be well accepted. Please send me your Oculus 1 when you get your Oculus 2 for free.

Come on Oculus forum team, get behind this guy. He has only got half way through the expected life of his Oculus 1, and it's already being replaced!

(seriously.... you have zero chance Lance)

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Wishful thinking mate.  This ain’t ever going to happen imho.  Given the relatively low price ($299) just suck it up and buy one if you believe it’s a worthwhile upgrade.  In the meantime your Quest 1 will continue to work fine.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I  mean cmon 
You buy a Samsung Galaxy phone now and a newer version comes out in 3 months. Do you really expect the new one free. I think not.

Personally if you have the Quest 1 there really is no need to upgrade at this moment. Excellent for a first time buyer but not really all that to warrant selling your quest. Apart from a crisper screen your not really going to notice all that much difference until software is made specifically for it. Perhaps look again in 6 to 12 months and thats if the Quest 3 isnt announced. By the time you buy the decent head strap and USB link cable it works out about the same price as the Quest anyway. 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

I am posting this to make an appeal to facebook to allow users of Oculus 
My request is I bought the oculus one in jan 2020 at a higher price point and now oculus 2 is coming
I humbly request that u allow a free upgrade for people to trade up from oculus 1 to oculus 2
It makes good business sense as u don’t want to loose ur customer base, the oculus one was not well used as much as it should due to gameplay and graphics
Remember u will make the money back in terms of game bought and usage and also u could get rid of the expense of maintaining the oculus one. Also vr needs a breathe into it and people will be more happy to buy into a oculus if they know they can trade up at a small expense
The model for the oculus is not the same as a Apple smartphone yet for example
That is smart phone is considered a necessary device u need to have it
Oculus is considered at the moment as a niche item which is a luxury
Price point is more important For wide adoption and building a strong community
People want more interaction and their friends to get involved but the price point of the quest 1 was high but ur quest 2 price point is good
If u can get people to adopt the tech more widely that would be lead to the platform success
Remember key thing about Facebook at the beginning is ur got a high quality service for free
I am not suggesting u make the quest free just more accessible
Which brings me back to allowing people to upgrade for free.

Please could the Oculus forum team consider this in their next discussion and perhaps escalate to executive management.

2nd - if anyone who owns a Quest 1 agrees with me - please email support and facebook message Mark Zuckerberg on his facebook page.

Well look at the positives, you got a quest with the best screen avalible, Oled, you got full manual IPD, again best of the best, and on 22nd October you won't be pulling your hair out jumping through all the mandatory hoops that new Q2 owners will be going through to just use their Q2.........and as a last positive its already paid for and yours. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
as @OmegaM4N states you really do have the best tried and tested unit right now IMHO
The Quest 2 still needs its field test debut which will put it through its paces im sure hopefully with good results.

I hope it succeeds as it does have some very cool features but also when i do buy my next Quest it may have specific content for it to take advantage of these new features and as a bonus it will be cheaper than what i originally paid so its a win win scenario really.
🙂 

I think I'll be holding onto my Quest until Christmas... we need to save one nice present to ourselves until then right?

lancejohnson321
Explorer
Hey thank u so much for taking the time to read my post - ur feedback is fantastic and I love to discuss this - hopefully maybe Oculus may note - remember that Mark's vision usually is less about short term gains and long term results.

I am going to advocate my case by addressing all the comments above:
1. What is the number one goal Mark Zuckerberg should have for OCULUS - that answer is GROWTH!!!! It's how he won facebook as the major social media platform - he needs to focus on growth - NOT immediate profit.

2. What is number one way a platform is popular - It is widescale adoption! Look at all the popular consoles.

3. What is the number one and two way to get widescale adoption - playability and social proof - games have to be good and your friends have it as well - The adoption by friends is particularly important in VR. When I speak to my friends most of them don't have a VR headset. Why are they not buying?

4. What is the number one thing that stops people from buying or what is the fear of buying: The people on this forum are probably early adopters. They are happy to fork out money for a new headset - most people are not that. Also will my friend by a headset if he knows mine is not compatible with his? Will my friend buy a headset that will be expire in 12 months? He is a common person who has other interests in life. Even now - u should be reluctant to buy a quest 2, knowing Quest 3 is probably coming out next year. Also would i recommend the oculus 2 to a friend knowing something better will come out shortly. I am reluctant, because i just my oculus and now another one is eclipsing it. Recommendation is extremely powerful for widescale adoption. 

4.  Is a VR headset like a phone ? Someone mention about Samsung etc. That is not a fair comparison. This is like comparing the Sony Playstation and the Iphone. Ur smartphone is a tool that has become necessary - u have to use it to communicate, and even to buy ur groceries. Not everyone will buy a PlayStation - I have not bought a actual game console for a long time. My VR headset is my first. People have to understand that the Oculus is primarily a gaming platform/social media. U cannot go around the shops wearing ur oculus like u can carry ur phone. Also when u upgrade ur phone, now the difference is minute - I mean I had a look at the Iphone 11, and I have an Iphone XR - nothing stands out that makes me want to adopt it - I usually upgrade when it is cheaper - so when iPhone 12 is out, I will get the 11 - as it is cheaper - and does not make a major impact on my experience. VR experience will be majorly different on the upgraded headset.

5. Competition: VR is under fire. Many VR companies are going bankrupt. Remember that there is lot of competition for people's attention - remember that a person spare cash has competition for his cash - he could save it for a holiday, Sony PlayStation, towards a bike etc. I recommend watching this classic video - youtube - I can't post the link but just search mercedes dealer salesman 1980s - on selling Mercedes cars (good sales principles) - the guy is an A player who presents it - unfortunately Mercedes have not kept this up - selling crap cars which is why I am swapping to Lexus/Japanease cars. I digress. 

6. Upgrades: Using the phone example  - Most phone companies allow upgrades with trade in for ur old phone to with a small cost to get the newer version

7. Expensive: Maintaining old technology can be expensive in terms of providing technical support/repairs etc.  Even more important is retention of ur current market. It is cheaper for Oculus to spend X money to keep old client than spend 2x to get a new client. Ensuring a upgrade is the only way to retain current market of oculus stay on. Also if people can get old oculus 2nd hand - they may buy them instead as it is likely they will be cheaper, and it creates another competitor for the Oculus 2.

8. Money - when the oculus platform becomes platform, facebook can make money from the amount of games people buy etc. That is how they will make a ton of money. Remember Mark ensured that the facebook platform was free to ensure widescale adoption. I am not saying oculus should be free  - but the pricepoint should be low, and the retention of the current market for them - the pricepoint should be lower.

I hope I made this clear as to why I think it makes business sense to offer free/slight charge to , and I am very happy to hear your response. Try to look at this message, not through a sceptical viewpoint - those companies just want to make money short term - but see it from the point of view of the Oculus executive sitting, trying to understand how to make Oculus the VR facebook of the world.

By the way I based this post on watching this video by employee number 30 at Facbook (what i learnt to mark zuckeberg - Noah Kagan - I can't post the link but just search it on youtube)

Note - I understand that facebook had a policy of not listening to customers (according to the video - they had a comments section for facebook that - that they offered and they automatically deleted whatever was sent) - good luck guys with that - it may work for social media, I hope it works for the VR headset space. 

If u find any sense in my post I would strongly ask u to email oculus - they may listen. It is for ur benefit - because most u would like to upgrade to Quest 2. 

BTW do not be distracted by early adopts- Oculus quest 2 will sell well - initially - but after that I wonder if sales will plummet. 

In summary - Oculus should focus on Growth, not short term profits. Retain ur original market and they will recommend it to their friends as they know even if another Quest comes - they can upgrade for free/small charge.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Mate, I’m pretty sure that the Quest 2 at $299 is already selling below cost in order to increase VR usage.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus are probably selling a headset at a loss for the very first time. They're not going to compound that loss by giving the things away for free.