cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU for Rift

jakezupan
Honored Guest
Looking for recommendations on a reasonably priced GPU for building a gaming computer for my son. Thanks in advance for the help. 
35 REPLIES 35

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
The cheapest GPU for VR gaming I can recommend is the GTX 1060 6GB (do not buy the 3GB model!). This will allow both him and you to play almost any VR game, though many cannot be run above medium-high detail. The MSRP is $300 on these but availability is exceedingly limited due to popularity and cryptocurrency mining. Most on the market are being sold by scalpers at $400+ but you can avoid those by checking newegg and amazon daily. They get a batch in about once a week it seems.

Due to mining, better cards are selling far above MSRP (double MSRP is common) and largely not available at this time. The $230 MSRP Radeon RX 580 8GB is a great option, but they are currently only for sale by scalpers at $1000. If you find one near MSRP, it's a great card for VR but they simply are not available in the USA at reasonable prices.

Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah it's almost* cheaper to buy prebuilt boxes (eg something from Dell etc) they have the amd rx 580 in them...

*loosely defined

Cryoto's are hurting the gamers atm...

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Best bang for buck these days.. Nvidia's GTX 1070.  Either, Asus, MSI or Evga.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The 1070 would be my pick as well (or 1070 Ti) but they are impossible to find at reasonable prices. Honestly, right now you are better off buying a pre-built machine in terms of the economics.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had my system built in May 2016:

Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake 6th Gen up to 4.0GHz
Asus B150M-A LGA-1151 DDR4 mATX Desktop Motherboard
Kingston 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 (2x8GB)
Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 Solid State Drive
Zotac nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5

I have not experienced any real slow down or anything in the Rift, I run most things on high and do not notice any frame-rate loss. I would like to update my graphics card and I'd echo the support of the 1070 - but like everyone is saying, now is not the time to buy.

jakezupan
Honored Guest
Thanks for all the input guys!

bigmike20vt
Visionary
yeah, damn miners combined with memory shortages screwing up gaming card prices and then some.

(no offence to anyone with money in bitcoin) but the sooner this implodes on itsself the better and we can get back to actually buying cards at (or below) RRP!!!.
with prices as they are right now i think i would be tempted to look at getting a 2nd hand put you on card if you can.

a gtx 970 or gtx980 will "do" until prices sort themselves out.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

1060 6GB or a 970 - try ebay, you as the buyer have plenty of security if there's anything wrong with it.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

bigmike20vt
Visionary
1060s are not free of the miners either 😞

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60787/6-gpu-packs-now-sale-miners-gtx-1060s-1080s/index.html

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂