cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GUIDE: How to Remove - "Your computer doesn't meet the updated minimum specifications" Banner

LunchAndJosh
Expert Protege

First off, make sure your computer DOES meet the minimum specifications. This guide is only for those who have higher end PCs (40x series above) or those who just want to remove the annoying banner. Oculus/Meta should really work on this, for now this is a workaround.

image.png

The TLDR is you need to change the Compatablity.json files to add your specific graphics card to the list of compatible graphics card.

Two locations for these compatability.json files:

1. \Users\*Your User*\AppData\Local\Oculus

2. \Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime

Search for the Compatability.json files. Before you edit them, make sure they are editable. Right click > Properties > Security > Edit > ALLOW for all users

image.png

Next, make a copy of them, in the same folder for backup. I call mine CompatabilityOLD.json

image.png

Edit the current Compatbility.json with Notepad (NOT THE COPIED OLD ONE). Search for a compatible Graphics card number you are not using. For example if your graphics card is 4070, search for 3070.
Change the number to your current graphics card.

Next part is a bit tricky, you need the PID of your card. You can find the graphics card PID by googling it, or under Device Manager > Display Adapters > *Your graphics card* > Right click + Properties > Details > Property + Hardware IDs. The number should be the second 4 numbers.

image.png

Your final Compatability.json should look something like this, red circles are the only 2 things you change: 

image.png

Save it. Do this for both Compatability.json files in \Users\*Your User*\AppData\Local\Oculus
AND \Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime

Final step, make the Compatability.json files UNEDITABLE. (This is to make sure the Oculus app doesn't change it back) To do this, Right click > Properties > Security > Edit > DENY for all users. Deny everything, including Authenticated Users & Administrators.

image.png

OK to both files. You are now done.

Restart all your Oculus services in task manager, restart your PC, and the banner should disappear forever.
Have a beer. Never see that banner again.

10 REPLIES 10

Chundvar
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Great post! Super helpful.

Feel free to reach out with simple questions! For any troubleshooting please make a post or reach out to our wonderful email, chat, and callback support team here: https://metaque.st/Support

Thank you!

LunchAndJosh
Expert Protege

Update: This guide also stops your Oculus PC App from auto-updating the Oculus PC firmware. To turn on updates again, make the Compatibility.json files editable again to all users.

Anyverse
Expert Protege

It would be better if there was a developer mode to allow the use of unsupported graphics cards and skip the compatibility list or if there is a minimum VRAM requirement allow those that meet the technical requirements but have not yet been added to the compatibility list e.g. the newest cards

I've added it as a suggestion here

https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Ideas/Add-a-developer-option-to-enable-unsupported-graphics-ca...

MADLOO1987
Honored Guest

Many thanks after getting my head around the instructions and following them i think its fully solved that annoying banner so massive thanks for this 

After doing it i could still see the banner but the final step was to reboot my PC and so now we are free from that annoying banner 😀🙌

do you need to give a deny on the System account? because i did exactly what you say but the banner is still there

Hi I was unsure at this exact step so I basically denied access to all users etc 

Anyverse
Expert Protege

I wanted to test my Intel Arc graphics cards with the Oculus headset but it's not in the list...

Device DescriptionDevice IDHardware ID
Intel(R) Arc(TM) A770 Graphics56A0PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_56A0&SUBSYS_XXXXXXXX&REV_XX
Intel(R) Arc(TM) A750 Graphics569EPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_569E&SUBSYS_XXXXXXXX&REV_XX
Intel(R) Arc(TM) A580 Graphics56A2PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_56A2&SUBSYS_XXXXXXXX&REV_XX
Intel(R) Arc(TM) A380 Graphics56A5PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_56A5&SUBSYS_XXXXXXXX&REV_XX
Intel(R) Arc(TM) A310 Graphics56A6PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_56A6&SUBSYS_XXXXXXXX&REV_XX

These are the changes I tried on the Compatibility file but was not able to get it working
  • VideoCardVidMap - Added new vendor id
  • VideoCardWhiteList - Added available discrete graphics cards
  • VideoCardMinSpecList - Added minimum supported card

// added new vendor to the following entry (after the existing AMD and Nvidia entries)
  "VideoCardVidMap": [
    {
      "Vendor": "AMD",
      "VID": "1002"
    },
    {
      "Vendor": "NVIDIA",
      "VID": "10DE"
    },
    {
      "Vendor": "Intel",
      "VID": "8086"
    }
  ],

// added new graphics cards to the video cards list (this does not include the mobile versions) - These were added after the existing AMD and Nvidia entries but are excluded in this list for brevity

"VideoCardWhiteList": [
    {
      "Name": "Intel(R) Arc(TM) A770 Graphics",
      "PID": "56A0",
      "SubsysVID": "Any"
    },
    {
      "Name": "Intel(R) Arc(TM) A750 Graphics",
      "PID": "569E",
    },
    {
      "Name": "Intel(R) Arc(TM) A580 Graphics",
      "PID": "56A2",
    },
    {
      "Name": "Intel(R) Arc(TM) A380 Graphics",
      "PID": "56A5",
    },
    {
      "Name": "Intel(R) Arc(TM) A310 Graphics",
      "PID": "56A6",
    },
  ],

// added the minimum supported cards (after the existing AMD and Nvidia entries)
  "VideoCardMinSpecList": [
    {
      "Name": "Intel(R) Arc(TM) A310 Graphics",
      "PID": "56A6",
      "SubsysVID": "Any",
      "Comment": "Desktop",
      "MinVRamMb": 4095,
      "Capability": [
      ]
    },
    {
      "Name": "Intel(R) Arc(TM) A350M Graphics",
      "PID": "5693",
      "SubsysVID": "Any",
      "Comment": "Mobile",
      "MinVRamMb": 4095,
      "Capability": [
      ]
    },
  ],

I have not included the exhaustive list of mobile versions in the above example but the devices are listed here for reference

Device DescriptionDevice ID
Intel(R) Arc(TM) A350M Graphics5693
Intel(R) Arc(TM) A370M Graphics5692
Intel(R) Arc(TM) A550M Graphics5691
Intel(R) Arc(TM) A730M Graphics568F
Intel(R) Arc(TM) A770M Graphics56A0

Interesting! I think you might be one of the few Arc PCVR players in the world. Let us know if you find a way, I think the Oculus software was just not developed originally with Intel having a GPU in mind hahaha