cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give us the option to gift games through Oculus home.

falken76
Expert Consultant
Can we please get the option to gift games to others in OH?  If a timeframe must be entered so be it.  There is no refund option, and I have things I will never play and would prefer to give away.  I paid for Adrift but I will NEVER play it again because it makes me sick, since I have no option of getting a refund, I should be able to give it to someone else who might enjoy it.  I'd also like the option to buy a game for someone else and send it to their OH profile so it's ready to install.  Is there any chance options like these will find their way to Oculus home?
8 REPLIES 8

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
While I think the option of gifting games is excellent (I use the option in Steam a lot) I don't think it should apply to games you played but don't want anymore. 

You can't do this in Steam either, you either buy it for yourself or you buy it as a gift.

I also don't see this as an immediate priority as currently the userbase is pretty small and you would normally purchase a gift for someone you know in real life. 

falken76
Expert Consultant
Then they need the option of offering a refund or providing demos.  When I get a game like Adrift that makes me sick and I have no way to give it to someone else and there is no option of a refund I just wasted $20.  Then there is an existing service that is actually a competitor that offers many of the same titles with a much more robust user base for multiplayer games that allows you to gift games if you want to buy for someone but also gives you the option of getting a refund if you think the game sucks, or hell if it makes you sick. 

Bottom line is I wish I had purchased this piece of trash from Steam instead of here.  I would have gotten my money back because the game is balls.  It makes me feel like I should only be buying Oculus exclusive titles here and everything else on Steam.  I couldn't find ANYONE at all in any multiplayer until touch came out and people started playing Dead and Buried, even still it's practically empty because you spend most of the time waiting for players.

Oculus should be at least trying to compete in this area IMHO.

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
The "existing service" you refer to has been around for years and years, and is a behemoth when it comes to digital distribution. They can afford to allow refunds for reasons other than "product does not work" because they rake in the cash hand over fist anyway. 

When Steam launched you could not refund the game "because I don't like it" either. 

Moving on to then trashing the game (Adrift) calling it a piece of trash and saying it is balls just because you have a weak stomach is a bit much. 

Not being able to find people in Multiplayer can be an issue but again this is largely due to the smaller install base.

This is also not completely dependant on the platform you purchased on as for example Hover Junker matches were plentyful when the game first launched but are quite a bit more scarce now. 

The fact that some Oculus Home bought games do not cross-play with Steam games is an issue, that we can agree on at least.

I think you are projecting some issues that are connected to the total number of VR sets in the wild and hanging them purely on Oculus Home which I don't believe is completely fair. 

BAT.Templar
Protege

I also don't see this as an immediate priority as currently the userbase is pretty small and you would normally purchase a gift for someone you know in real life. 

i have R friends that have rifts and i would like to buy a couple of them a game for this upcoming xmas so we can all play together....
you assume that everyone one the rift are not friends previous to owning a rift.
might be the case for you but not all cases are the same are they? ;
i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz ,Asus Tuf Z170 mk 1,SAbrent Rocket gold 1TB M.2 SSD, WD Blue 500GB SSD M.2 2280, OCZ agility 240GB, 2TB HDD, Seagate Plus 6TB Desktop Hard Drive with USB Hub, Corsair Vengeance 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz, XFX Radeon (TM) R9 390, SB X-Fi Surround 5.1, KLIM Impact usb headset, Acer XR341CK monitor, BenQ GL240-T monitor, Roccat Suora keyboard, mionis naos 7000 mouse, innatek PCIE 4 port usb  hub, Logitech Z906 5.1's + Rift S touch

falken76
Expert Consultant

i have R friends that have rifts and i would like to buy a couple of them a game for this upcoming xmas so we can all play together....
you assume that everyone one the rift are not friends previous to owning a rift.
might be the case for you but not all cases are the same are they? ;

I should get a commission check, 4 people have purchased a rift after demoing mine. 

Richooal
Consultant

It has always been possible to give someone something without a game distributor being involved.
You could send a cheque (check) to your R friends.
You could send money via PayPal to your R friends.
You could go to their R house and give them the money.

There's nothing better than seeing happy R faces when you give them the gift!
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gifting games has always been the way I hooked my friends up for birthdays and Christmas.  Sometimes you just want to get a friend a game.  If it happens to help me out in a multiplayer VR environment, so be it....  Just sayin'   😃

Plus if the game is on both Steam and Oculus Home, I'd rather go through Home since it launches if you start a game through Steam anyways.  Nothing like having a non-VR friend calling through Steam while you are trying to play a VR Game.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Finally 😃