cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HMD Hardware Design: Form Factor, Helmet??

cubytes
Protege
Hey Forum,

In the interest of discussing something that is interesting and perhaps potentially inspiring someone somewhere to innovate something....

i am thinking of an HMD form factor that is less like....

and more like

discuss the pros and cons of a helmet form factor in this thread!

I want CAD prototype designs of integrated oled displays and/or microprojector based tech in a sleek looking helmet form factor on my desk ASAP 😛

get busy and have FUN!!

bonus for;
-accommodating users who wear glasses
-integrated speakers for 3D audio
-integrated mic
-switch between AR to VR?
-more space for more powerful on board chipsets
82 REPLIES 82

cubytes
Protege
"Twitchmonkey" wrote:
Yeah, I think the helmet design will have enough inherent noise cancellation. I think a better option for the sound is to have and open design with small speakers throughout for 3D audio.

tru that

Alex1S
Honored Guest
I actually really like the approach by Morpheus, which is somewhere in between a helmet and goggles, and also allows to have LEDs on the back.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"cubytes" wrote:

What is that helmet from, is it just a CAD model design or is a reproduction of something from a game?

ThreeEyes
Explorer
It looks a bit like Geordi La Forge meets the Power Rangers. :?:
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

oAmadeuso
Honored Guest
A helmet design would be impractical unless each one is custom made for the user.
you've got to get the screen placement just right for the eyes.

I've been thinking about standing vs sitting.
Standing up would be a more natural experience but before that becomes mainstream you'll need wireless or one of this adult baby strollers.
That big old cord? Major trip hazard

mstdesigns
Honored Guest
I'm with OP. You can't make the rift smaller until we achieve retinal projection. In fact a helmet design will allow for a much bigger FOV than both glasses and the rift. This is VR people, AR can go play with google's overpriced toy.

Pros:
-Higher FOV
-Better standalone chip, power simillar to a laptop instead of a smartphone!
-Much more stylish
-Bigger battery

Cons:
-Bulky
-Less easy to carry with you

Neuts:
-Though heavier it will apply the same force to the skull due to the bigger area of pressure.

"oAmadeuso" wrote:
A helmet design would be impractical unless each one is custom made for the user.
you've got to get the screen placement just right for the eyes.

I've been thinking about standing vs sitting.
Standing up would be a more natural experience but before that becomes mainstream you'll need wireless or one of this adult baby strollers.
That big old cord? Major trip hazard

You can make the helmet detachable in 3-4 parts you put together depending on your skull.

cubytes
Protege
"V8Griff" wrote:
"cubytes" wrote:

What is that helmet from, is it just a CAD model design or is a reproduction of something from a game?

its a CAD rendering from del rosario studios. you can find more angles of that specific helmet design and other similar helmet designs here in this blog post:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/popular/del-rosario-helmet-agv-pistagp/

Cheesekeeper
Protege
Personally I like the retro look and think we should move back to the DK0 design:

Goes very well with the prototype of the Virtuix Omni:

cubytes
Protege
"Cheesekeeper" wrote:
Personally I like the retro look and think we should move back to the DK0 design:

Goes very well with the prototype of the Virtuix Omni:

hahaha very extreme design aesthetic you got there CK. only for the hardcore purist though, because when you die in the game you..... get your head snapped off of something 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable
"cubytes" wrote:
"V8Griff" wrote:
"cubytes" wrote:

its a CAD rendering from del rosario studios. you can find more angles of that specific helmet design and other similar helmet designs here in this blog post:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/popular/del-rosario-helmet-agv-pistagp/

Thanks for that. 🙂

Interesting as I wondered if it was a real bike helmet concept but didn't think what appears to be a quite conservative helmet industry would be looking in that direction.