cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Eve Valkyrie defected to Playstation?

whitedragon101
Explorer
I just read this article apparently quoting the Eve Valkyrie marketing manager sounding like they are going to Playstation exclusively and not to PC

“Hold on a second, we haven’t confirmed that Valkyrie’s on PC. It’s capable of playing on PC right now, but we haven’t confirmed what we’re going to launch it on.” David Reid- Eve Valkyrie chief of marketing

http://gamerant.com/eve-valkyrie-pc-ps4-virtual-reality/

Anyone have any info on this? Are we going to loose the game for PC and the Rift?
18 REPLIES 18

Kel
Explorer
Hey Siggi, as a 10 year Eve player I would gladly volunteer to help Beta Valkyrie.

Though seriously, a dual release for both the Morpheus and the Rift is a good thing. Much wider audience than just going for one or the other. 🙂

Lagahan
Explorer
Dual release? Awesome news! Great exposure for VR! Will be tough cramming Valkyrie out through a PS4 no doubt but the audience is well worth it!
DK1 status: Delivered, DK2 status: Delivered Rigs: CPU: i5 2500k @4.8GHz GPU: R9 290 @1.1GHz RAM: 16GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 CPU: i7 4710MQ 3.3GHz GPU: 2x880M 8GB RAM: 8GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64

steveoz32
Expert Protege
Thankfully it hasn't after reading this thread, but how on earth is the PS4 going to run dual 1080 displays (or whatever it may be), or even one for that matter in stereo 3D?

Most titles are locked at 30FPS, I can't see how any rich or detailed game can run at the rate needed with any reasonable quality.

I own a PS4 (got it just to play through Destiny), and TBH the frame-rate is so noticeable, when going from Destiny on my central screen to full surround on the PC in something like Planetside 2, it seems so much smoother it's scary.

I thought TBH the Morpheus was going to be a toy / gimmick, much like the eye toy or PS4 camera, smaller games and demos, I don't think the PS4 has anywhere near the processing power or GPU to push stereoscopic 3D at high resolution. I mean UBIsoft have already hit the processor bottleneck with the new AC less than a year after launch, and the EVE tech demo on the Morpheus was running on a PC anyway.

steveoz32
Expert Protege
By the way, I am not meaning to sound like a dick, it's a great opportunity for you guys in terms of funding and sales, and you have my support, but I think you have a serious challenge trying to get it to run or even keep it anywhere near current / last gen PC quality on the consoles.

Lagahan
Explorer
"steveoz32" wrote:

Most titles are locked at 30FPS, I can't see how any rich or detailed game can run at the rate needed with any reasonable quality.

Carmack nails it here: https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/446271995668217857

They're gonna have to downgrade visual quality to compensate for the render load, for reference Gran Turismo 5 and WipEout HD ran at 1080p 60fps on PS3 so if Valkyrie has that level of graphics on the Morpheus I'd say it'll be pretty satisfactory.
DK1 status: Delivered, DK2 status: Delivered Rigs: CPU: i5 2500k @4.8GHz GPU: R9 290 @1.1GHz RAM: 16GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 CPU: i7 4710MQ 3.3GHz GPU: 2x880M 8GB RAM: 8GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64

steveoz32
Expert Protege
"Lagahan" wrote:
"steveoz32" wrote:

Carmack nails it here: https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/446271995668217857

They're gonna have to downgrade visual quality to compensate for the render load, for reference Gran Turismo 5 and WipEout HD ran at 1080p 60fps on PS3 so if Valkyrie has that level of graphics on the Morpheus I'd say it'll be pretty satisfactory.

Interesting, so it could essentially be possible to have PS3 performance in stereo 3D on the Morepheus.

That's something, and would be good for a giggle, although still a long way off.

SiggiG
Protege
Yes it's true the PS4 is nowhere close to a modern gaming PC in terms of performance, and it is indeed a challenge.

But we have already shown Valkyrie running on a PS4+Morpheus at 60 fps at Gamescom and other events this year.
CCP Games, EVE: Valkyrie developer | @SiggiGG

steveoz32
Expert Protege
"SiggiG" wrote:
Yes it's true the PS4 is nowhere close to a modern gaming PC in terms of performance, and it is indeed a challenge.

But we have already shown Valkyrie running on a PS4+Morpheus at 60 fps at Gamescom and other events this year.

That's interesting, although I assume that was rendering a limited number of objects and running calculations against a small number of players in a demo as apposed to a full blown environment?

The GPU is good enough for 1080 gaming, I have my doubts about stereoscopic 3D @ 1080 though. I run a similar power 750ti in terms of pixel pushing on one of my hosting / test rigs which can do one 1080 in high detail well enough, I guess limiting CPU intensive calculations, operations and physics will give you some breathing space.

Anyway good luck with the development, and I am very interested to see this title in person 🙂

SiggiG
Protege
"steveoz32" wrote:
"SiggiG" wrote:

That's interesting, although I assume that was rendering a limited number of objects and running calculations against a small number of players in a demo as apposed to a full blown environment?

Same map and assets actually, just a more optimized build than we've shown on PC so far.
CCP Games, EVE: Valkyrie developer | @SiggiGG