cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me to decide between Rift and Vive

thief6666
Honored Guest
Hi everyone.

I posted here few times before. But now I hold my credit card in my hand and hesitate between two opened preorder pages.

I am really interested mostly in:

1) First person perspective games.

2) Not-so-much in cockpit games. Racing sucked in DK2 because of SDE. I know CV and Vive is better but still bad for far view distances. And I do not like driving games anyways.

3) In FPP I want to stand up all time. For me sitting in walking game is number 1 immersion killer. I don't need to walk across the room but REALLY want to choose where I am walking by turning 360 degrees. I want to crouch, dodge an all that stuff

4) I want to try legacy games - sort of want to teleport into the word of my childhood games. I did Doom in DK1. Do you think Vive will support all this legace VR mods?

Thank you for help in advance:)
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Judging by number 3, you will be happier with the Vive.

Rift is designed for a seated experience. 100% fact; spoken from the founder, Palmer Luckey himself.

Edit: Doing more research, I found a more recent statement from Nate Mitchell: The Rift is designed for standing and seated experiences.

Although still true, my original source was outdated, and I retract my statement. However, I think the best solution is to just wait, and see what all reviews say about both headsets.

Though, if you had to decide now, I think you can get either one (or find a distinct feature you MUST have), you will be very happy and immersed in VR you won't care about the other headset.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Get the rift its superior in every way, plus with oculus working on improving the cameras and touch, the rift will be able to do what the vive can currently do, obviously you can stand up with rift too, duh, it just depends on the apps/games

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
Yes get the Rift, One day it will be able to do what the Vive can do.

standtall007
Protege
I would say get the Rift, because of number 4... you can play legacy games by purchasing (if you don't have it yet ;)) VorpX and it is the best VR injection plugin that i know of atm. tridef isn't good anymore 😞 can't get it to run games and recognize my DK2 :cry:
ASUS Maximus VII Formula Intel core i7 quad core 4790K OC'ed @ 4.4Ghz 32GB DDR3 Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Windows 10 Pro 64bit GSync Monitor @ 2560x1440, 144Hz ------------------------------------------- DK2 Owner CV1 Preordered.

TheDynamo
Honored Guest
"infamouz" wrote:
Get the rift its superior in every way

In your opinion...

Anonymous
Not applicable
"TheDynamo" wrote:
"infamouz" wrote:

In your opinion...

nope its facts, research and compare them yourself

Christiaan
Protege
My two cents...

Oculus has my money for a few reasons:

1) Elegance of design and quality. No chance Vive can hold a candle to Oculus on the H/W side of things, based on everything i can ascertain. You likely get a $1500 HMD for $600 with Rift. Hell, I bet the optics on Rift are as pricy as the entire Vive HMD.

2) Touch is better thought out than Vive's sol'n, IMO. The touch controllers consider the natural use of your hands to a greater degree. Once they are out, we will see that the "roomscale" Oculus experience is more than on-par with Vive.

3) Carmack, Abrash, Luckey, etc. ... the best minds in VR are at Oculus. Valve are no slouches, but Oculus is a dream-team. You cannot underestimate how big a deal it is to have that massive a pool of talent and IQ in one company.

Valve's current demos and experiences are very compelling to me - and I have no doubt they will be successful with their VR efforts. Right now, as a reference VR experience, Vive might take the prize with their roomscale magic.

But I'm willing to bet as things pan out, that the Oculus H/W, S/W, and vision takes the prize. Once these products are in the wild, the truth will be obvious - that Oculus H/W is superior, the S/W offerings have much greater lasting appeal and real value, and Vive continues to be somewhat niche and in need of some serious H/W upgrades to achieve the comfort and quality of Rift.

Too bold a prediction? We'll see!

LKostyra
Protege
There's this thread on Reddit in which a guy provides you with deep opinion regarding the two.

My personal decision why I decided to go with the Rift, revolved around these things:

1) Design - according to multiple sources, the Rift is more comfortable than the Vive. Before Touch controllers arrive at my doorstep, I'm going to use the HMD to seated games - ETS2, ATS, Elite, EVE, etc. I can easily get lost in whatever world ATS/ETS2 provide. Usually the only thing that reminds me to stop is the poor DK2 design when it comes to ergonomy of the device (well, no wonder - after all it is a dev kit). If CV1 eliminates these problems (and people report it does), this is where my money goes.

I'm not saying Vive has bad ergonomics or something - it probably does. Still, it has been confirmed that it is heavier than the Rift, which finally made me sure to keep my place in line.

2) I like the design of Touch controllers more. They seem more natural, than sticks which you hold on your hand. I can wait for them, there is no hurry, if Oculus needs to iron out the details, why not.

3) I do not have need for a huge room and huge room scale (at most, the best room I have for this in my apartment is my living room, which will provide at most medium size room scale). Thus, Lighthouse system provides no benefits in my environment, compared to Constellation.

4) Rift has less SDE, according to reports. After ~2 years with SDE HMDs, I think it's about time. 😉
DK1: Received DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received CV1: (Jan 6) Pending Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM

bigmike20vt
Visionary
"infamouz" wrote:
"TheDynamo" wrote:
"infamouz" wrote:

In your opinion...

nope its facts, research and compare them yourself

really it isnt...... and this is coming from someone who has ordered a rift over vive (becasue for me gen 1 vr is mostly about the cockpit experiences).

vive has a larger fov
better room tracking

rift has better image quality
far better erganomic design

for what op is asking for, chances are both will do what he wants, however imo the VIVE may be the safer bet.

think about how the cameras will be placed on the rift, then think about how the room placement is for the vive light houses.

now explain to me, if the rift is better in ALL aspects as you state, how will the touch controllers be tracked when your back is to the cameras?. ........ I expect there will be times when the vive wands will struggle here too, however I believe it is better suited to track the wands through full 360degree tracking over the rift.

also, adding extra light house units to the vive is going to be simpler than adding extra cameras to the rift.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂