cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me to decide between Rift and Vive

thief6666
Level 2
Hi everyone.

I posted here few times before. But now I hold my credit card in my hand and hesitate between two opened preorder pages.

I am really interested mostly in:

1) First person perspective games.

2) Not-so-much in cockpit games. Racing sucked in DK2 because of SDE. I know CV and Vive is better but still bad for far view distances. And I do not like driving games anyways.

3) In FPP I want to stand up all time. For me sitting in walking game is number 1 immersion killer. I don't need to walk across the room but REALLY want to choose where I am walking by turning 360 degrees. I want to crouch, dodge an all that stuff

4) I want to try legacy games - sort of want to teleport into the word of my childhood games. I did Doom in DK1. Do you think Vive will support all this legace VR mods?

Thank you for help in advance:)
23 REPLIES 23

VizionVR
Level 8
"thief6666" wrote:

3) sound - Spatial sound I know it will be standard on Rift and most likely DEVS will be obligated to support it. And integrated unified headphones will allow DEVS to get their sound effects to be 100% optimized.
I found no word regarding spatial sound on Vive! anyone found something?

Spatial audio is implemented in the game, not the hardware. A pair of stereo headphones is all you need. Oculus is pushing their headphones due to their reported audio quality. Oculus headphones don't create spatial audio, they just make it sound good. A pair of quality headphones on the Vive will be no different.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

standtall007
Level 4
"vizionvr" wrote:
"thief6666" wrote:

3) sound - Spatial sound I know it will be standard on Rift and most likely DEVS will be obligated to support it. And integrated unified headphones will allow DEVS to get their sound effects to be 100% optimized.
I found no word regarding spatial sound on Vive! anyone found something?

Spatial audio is implemented in the game, not the hardware. A pair of stereo headphones is all you need. Oculus is pushing their headphones due to their reported audio quality. Oculus headphones don't create spatial audio, they just make it sound good. A pair of quality headphones on the Vive will be no different.

Sorry VizionVR if this sounds stupid but, have oculus mentioned anything that the drivers contaion anything useful for the spatial audio yet? i honestly haven't dealt much with oculus until very recently though i do own a DK2 which i got from oculus themselves 😉 oh and sorry for the other post some XX days ago, i was wrong about the price for the HTC Vive it was cheap enough regarding they clearly stated that it was for express delivery 😉 i misread that the day the preorder page for the vive got online 😞 sorry about that.
ASUS Maximus VII Formula Intel core i7 quad core 4790K OC'ed @ 4.4Ghz 32GB DDR3 Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Windows 10 Pro 64bit GSync Monitor @ 2560x1440, 144Hz ------------------------------------------- DK2 Owner CV1 Preordered.

VizionVR
Level 8
"standtall007" wrote:
have oculus mentioned anything that the drivers contaion anything useful for the spatial audio yet?

This should tell you everything you need to know:
https://developer.oculus.com/documentat ... dk/latest/

No need to apologize, especially to me. :oops: There's a lot of information flying around. I'm here just like everyone else trying to make sense of it all. 🙂
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

standtall007
Level 4
"vizionvr" wrote:
No need to apologize, especially to me. :oops: There's a lot of information flying around. I'm here just like everyone else trying to make sense of it all. 🙂

Thanks 😉 Oh and thanks for the link, seriously now i just feel stupid :lol: i haven't even thought of looking at the official documentation :roll:
ASUS Maximus VII Formula Intel core i7 quad core 4790K OC'ed @ 4.4Ghz 32GB DDR3 Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Windows 10 Pro 64bit GSync Monitor @ 2560x1440, 144Hz ------------------------------------------- DK2 Owner CV1 Preordered.