cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hololense

Solsland
Adventurer
Has anyone had a chance to try out the Microsoft Hololense yet?  Had a go last weekend at a tech fair.  To say that it is underwhelming would be a rather big understatement.

If you think you have a small field of view in a Rift, give the Hololense a try.  That coupled with the most basic of graphics imaginable and I cannot see this being anywhere near to being a consumer version in at the very least 5+ years.

Anyone have a different take on this?  I understand that the Hololense carries it's own Windows operating system in the head unit but much like present day VR should Microsoft accept that a tethering cable is still required in order to move forward.  

10 REPLIES 10

I said something similar in January 2015, when everybody was getting very excited about it:

I'll stick with the Oculus Rift.

I'll pick the DK1 of this thing up when it's out, in about 2020.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/19490/microsoft-hololens-mind-blown/p5
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

inovator
Consultant
At first I was very excited about it. but then after I realized how tiny the field of view was it was a bummer to me. Unless the field of view is at least a hundred degrees I have absolutely no interest.This is a great idea but I think we are still years away augmented reality to be done right 

Vetkin
Expert Protege
Supposedly Magic Leap is where it's at, according to people who have been lucky enough to try both.

inovator
Consultant
Magic leap is a mystery. As far as I'm concerned they don't exist until they make some sort of an announcement

LZoltowski
Champion
Eyes are so 2016. I wont be satisfied until the bits are pushed directly into my cortex bypassing the eyes.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP

Eyes are so 2016. I wont be satisfied until the bits are pushed directly into my cortex bypassing the eyes.

I'd definitely not want to beta test that!
Plus are companies like Facebook and Microsoft going to stick to grabbing just our pc's info when they have a direct feed to our nervous system?

Anybody remember the Intro to the game Syndicate Wars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrruSboN1bQ
People walk around with a chip in their head that puts them into a virtual world that's based on but better than where they really are. Kind of extreme augmented reality.

The main thing that interests me with the Hololens is how they managed to fit one or two Kinect depth cameras into a headset. The current Kinect 2 is a mass of cables and boxes. I'd love to see MS release a mini mobile Kinect from the Hololens for use in robotics.

But yeah, FOV is just way too small. I think having no visible boundary of screen and non screen could cause some confusion too, but I'm not sure (never used one, just a theory).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
IfLZoltowski said:

Well for mobility, Star Trek still thinks projection to the eye is where it's at. Look how happy Riker is!

68fdhxmjbmom.jpg

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

Solsland said:

That coupled with the most basic of graphics imaginable and I cannot see this being anywhere near to being a consumer version in at the very least 5+ years.

The graphic quality is up to the developer, the HoloLens isn't a powerful PC or anything but it is capable of decent cell-phone-game-quality graphics. I do agree about the field of view, but I think if Microsoft could just double that size and make it easier to wear, it would be consumer ready as a first-gen mixed-reality device. It of course wouldn't be perfect, but for first-gen it doesn't need to be.

ProntoJr
Protege
Absolutely great tech for enterprise, while I don't find it any good for games or entertainment. It's not there yet and it's completely different from VR