cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honestly surprised at how much of a beast of a machine VR really needs!

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer
So, I own one of these fun little bad boys as my side gaming/gamedev-on-the-go laptop. It's certainly underspec'ed for VR and I knew that going in. But, I thought I'd see how the Oculus Rift ran on it anyway just for giggles. I figured it might still be good enough to play some simple games (Maybe Lucky's Tale at best?), demo some 360 photos/videos or play around in Virtual Desktop.

To my surprise, it's completely unusable! I can't even navigate Oculus Home at more than 5 FPS. Certainly not complaining, obviously it's underspec'ed for VR, I just expected it to be somewhat usable for some basic stuff. Really surprising to see how much power we need to just make the HMD work on a fundamental level. Really puts into perspective the kind of beasts of a machines we'll be needing to run the upcoming bleeding edge AAA titles in VR!

Just thought I'd share my experience, as it's probably totally useless information for most of you. 🙂
20 REPLIES 20

Stairmand
Adventurer
The very reason I hate gaming laptops, they never work well. A 970m is probably slower than a 750ti desktop card which is waaay below the required specs.