Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizon Worlds Available to UK This Week

kojack
MVP
MVP

https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-horizon-worlds-uk-europe-release/

Some time this week Horizon Worlds will allow access from people in the UK who are 18+.

Apparently they will start adding parts of Europe later. No mention of Asia Pacific though.

They also have a new garbled speech option that sounds (no pun intended) interesting. It lets you choose to scramble the speech of anyone nearby who isn't a friend, so you can ignore annoying conversations. You'll hear what they call "unintelligible, friendly sounds".

Raise your hand to your ear and it temporarily ungarbles.

It's still annoying that they pulled Venue access from the rest of the world by merging it into Horizon Worlds before allowing everyone in.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
5 REPLIES 5

I was starting to lose interest... it was taking so long to get here, sorry for anyone else waiting to try it out though.

I'm assuming the slow rollout is mostly about moderation, monitoring behaviour and developing and tweaking the tools that keep harassment to a minimum, before expanding beyond what can be controlled adequately.

There's often a lot of publicity surrounding a complaint of inappropriate behaviour in VR, it's a very newsworthy medium. I guess it'll be that way for a while.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

LukeInVirtualReality
Honored Guest

Nothing for Australia or NZ. Sad really.. Can't be that difficult to include us. Getting real bored of the quest.

ok I've made several visits to Horizon Worlds now.

Mixed feelings so far... there's clearly a lot of potential mixed with some dependency on how people behave in there and interact (obviously!).

I'd read a lot of the reviews on the store page, people being reported maliciously or generally having to put up with too many children in there behaving badly seemed to be a common theme, so I was very curious if that really was a thing.

There are definitely a lot more children in there than I was expecting but behaviour was generally not bad and any bad behaviour I've seen so far was minimal and pretty much shared between young and older members. nothing obnoxious so far, just a few annoyances. My avatar is clearly male though so that might make a lot of difference. I've not met anyone there who visits this forum and I'm not broadcasting my forum mod status.

For anyone who's not aware, there's a voting system to remove a person from a world you're in which can be initiated by anyone and is anonymous. It was used a lot in the comedy club to remove youngsters as that world was designed to be for adults and the humour might not be suitable for everyone, I was ok taking part on the voting there but generally if I didn't witness bad behaviour I'm not going to take part in a vote or initiate one.

I thought there was going to be am automatic recording facility when reporting abuse to caputure the evidence but unless I'm missing something, that didn't seem to be there.

I was trying to visit as many worlds as possible to get an idea of the possibilities and how the different worlds were being used and amusingly got voted out of one world by a group of kids (I think it was the Classroom so be careful if you go there). One of the kids seemed to take exception to me being there, creating a pretext for a vote, saying I'd been rude (I hadn't and my mic was off) but that was enough... so it seems I'm no longer able to visit there if those members are there. I've started recording my sessions now to avoid potential disputes if my account is ever at risk from malicious behaviour of some sort!!

Also, interestingly, I received several auto generated messages saying the worlds I had visited had been visited by a trained Meta safety adviser (or words to that effect), but those stopped after a few days, so not sure if new members are monitored for a while?

Generally I was expecting to see more people in Horizons but the Worlds are quite limited by capacity, depending on how complex a world is, that affects the maximum number of people allowed in and vice versa, so that could be a big limiting factor right now. It's also still early days as far as what's possible to create.

And that's what I'm getting into now, creating. The modelling part is easy enough and while there's quite a limited number of building blocks available, with no import functionality from other sources, models can pretty easily be made as complex and detailed as you like with what's provided. I'm having a few difficulties with the scripting though. There are a few anomalies and what I would definitely call bugs but so far I've been able to (eventually) get what I want to happen, done. It's always fun leaning a script or language but I'm starting to get too old to learn as quickly as I'd like.

Anyway, I'd probably summarise by repeating the big big potential, limited by things like your creativity, the technical constraints at the moment and to a small extent by user behaviour.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Session recording does sound like a good safety procedure.

I used to play the multiplayer part of Return To Castle Wolfenstein. It had an auto ban vote thing. If you team killed, all players would get a vote to kick the killer. BUT, people could grief it. To progress on the beach map, allies had to place dynamite to open a hole in the wall. People would stand on their teammate's dynamite and let it explode. Even with friendly fire off, standing on dynamite counted as a team kill. I got kicked multiple times because people intentionally stood on the dynamite and the onces voting just hit Y without context.

Anyway, still no Australia, so haven't tried it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I had thought that moderation was limiting global rollout but I'm thinking now that world capacity is more of a reason. From memory the max allowed in a world is 32, dropping as you world becomes more complex.

Don't know the this applies also to the plaza and venue plaza area. Server and headset limits will change over time but it could be a slow process. Maybe the thinking is that the number of popular world's will increase in proportion to the number of countries given access so that could offset the limitation. They could introduce region specific versions of world's I guess but that may go against the ethos.

I still haven't encountered particularly bad behaviour so that's good.