cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long are the cables?

Alderson15
Protege
I can't seem to find a very accurate answer to this question..
How long is the HDMI cable from the headset, along with the USB cables for the sensors?

Also, can I unplug the HDMI cable and replace it with a longer one, or do I need to buy some sort of extender?
8 REPLIES 8

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The sensor cables are 2.5m (8'), and the Rift cable is 4m (13'). It's a proprietary connector at the headset end (combines HDMI and USB), so you can't replace it with your own cable, but you can (usually) extend it. Some people have had trouble with extensions, but I use a set of 6' passive HDMI and USB3.0 cables to extend mine with no problems. Above 6' you will probably have issues with passive cables. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Alderson15
Protege
Great, thanks. 
I'll have to look at investing in some extensions. By passive, do you mean mean one end is male, the other is female, so it basically connects to the end of the one from the headset and then continues on to plug into your gpu?

KenSniper
Adventurer
by passive he means that its your standard everyday extender and not powered, an active cable requires power

Alderson15
Protege
Yeah, read up on it a little more. I'm hoping I can get away with not extending it, but if worse comes to worse, my dad's an electrician who has a few suppliers that can hook me up with some top quality extenders 

pyroth309
Visionary
How far you can extend passively seems to depend on your video card port and how strong of a signal it's sending out. Some people have used these with no issues out to 10 feet https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ517VI  but some had to add something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GHL72XS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Generally as mentioned, 6 feet should work for most cards. 

MrKaru
Adventurer
Sorry to hijack, but it's on topic. 

Are the sensor cables easily extended? Is there a maximum length I should look out for before effecting the connection? I hate having cables all around my room, so the rear sensor will hopefully have its cable routed along the edge of the wall/ceiling, but that will of course require maybe a 2m extension. Is that too much? 
The front 2 should be fine at 2.5m, but it's the rear one I'm concerned about. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I'm using 5m (16') active USB3.0 extension cables for two of my sensors, and that's working fine for me. These are the ones I've got.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Rudalpl
Protege
sorry wrong thread